UKC

City break with a beach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 07 Mar 2013
I fancy a short relaxing holiday in early summer, I want a beach because I enjoy the coast and swimming in the sea, but also somewhere with a bit of culture, history and good food.

Probably can't manage a week for various reasons. I have thought of Barcelona and Dubrovnic so far, any other ideas?
 DNS 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Malaga. Highly recommended.
ice.solo 07 Mar 2013

half of western europe will be on the med, so if you look further afield and if its not strict lay-on-a-towel type beaches consider sinop on turkeys black sea coast.
incredible place few visit, rambling port with cool headlands and old walls. the best tea houses on earth possibly, and beaches enough to swim or wander on.
food is northern turkish which has russian and georgian influences.

not sure on access, maybe flights from istanbul. if not right to sinop, then to samsun and a bus.

really interesting area.
 deanr 07 Mar 2013

Lisbon is very cool, though might be a bit breezy this time of year.

Figueres in Spain is a great place - lovey rocky coastline, good beachs and is where the Salvador-Dali museum is (which is one of the best museums I've been to)

or Palermo in Sicilia
 Little Brew 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Barcelona? it is where i am off to for similar requirements of a holiday end of next month!
 Banned User 77 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Split.

My first idea was Barcelona too..

But splits a nice city, has climbing and decent trails in the city. Plus plenty of history.
 John Ww 07 Mar 2013

Mahon?
 James Malloch 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Nice?
OP The New NickB 07 Mar 2013
In reply to James Malloch:
> (In reply to The New NickB) Nice?

I had a week in Nice last summer and my girlfriends Dad used to live there,I like the place, but would like to try somewhere we haven't been to.

Kotor/Budva, Montenegro

Truly stunning part of the world, plus you'll book another trip as soon as you see the potential for climbing!!!
 ebygomm 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: San Sebastian
 AlisonSmiles 07 Mar 2013

I think you're spot on with Barcelona. It has everything and then Sangria ...
 Lord_ash2000 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: How about Blackpool??
 andy 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: I'd always say Barcelona if you've not been - you could even get the boat over to Palma and do two amazing beachside cities in one trip! The beauty of low cost flights is you could fly into Barca/Girona (actually - Girona's a nice place too...) and back from Palma.
 MagnusL 07 Mar 2013

Come down to Bristol, Severn Beach is stunning at this time of year

Yes both Nice and Barcelona are great from March onwards.
 ripper 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: blimey, the list of potential places is huge! how long have you got? I've been to Barcelona and Dubrovnik, both nice but very different. Barca a major city with easily more than a week's worth of stuff to see, diverse areas with different characters, good food and a real vibrant atmosphere. Dubrovnik is much smaller - you can do the old town and walls in a day to be honest and although very pretty there wasn't a huge amount of stuff to see for more than, say, 2-3 days, without travelling. Interesting history, obviously - if you do go, check out the civil war museum on the hill overlooking the town, reached by cable car or a very winding path (tells the story of the battle for the city, obviously from a very pro-Croation POV but that's understandable I guess!). Food, IME, less good than Barca. Palermo, as has been mentioned, is also fascinating, doesn't have a beach but there are trains to nearby resorts. Or try Marseille, Nice, Alicante, Malaga... It partly depends on how much time you want to spend doing city sightseeing, and how much lying on the beach. If this was me, I'd just do a trawl of the places that budget airlines fly to from my local airport, see which were cheapest, and pick one from those.
 Darron 07 Mar 2013

What about Marakesh then down to Essouira for a paddle?
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
> (In reply to The New NickB) How about Blackpool??

I have got to go to Blackpool in a couple of weeks, I won't be staying any longer than I have to.
 Tyler 07 Mar 2013

I loved Dubrovnik, the local beach and the city are very small so I guess both might get very crowded in summer. If you have a car (it was very cheap and easy to hire and driving was no problem as there's only one road!) then there are endless beautiful beaches.
In reply to Tyler:

what is there to do in Dubrovnik? I've only heard good things about it.
 tspoon1981 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Sunny Aberdeen has everything you've asked for.

La Rochelle is stunning, Ile de Re. Or Ile de Pourqorol (sp?)

Nice, has been mentioned, but you could go further down/up the coast easily enough Antibes/Juan le pins, Eze, St Trop maybe.

Geneva.

I'm kind of just listing now. South of France has loads of beaches and stunning countryside, climbing and general culture. I think the Juan Le Pins jazz festival is around the time you're looking. West coast of France is also stunning, I may be wrong, but I've always founf it to be less touristy/busy, which to me is a good thing. Ile de Porqourol (?) Is stunning, 1 car on the whole island. Geneva is also really nice, wouldn't exactly be the atypical beach holiday though. Did some one mention Corsica yet? Loads of climbing and stunning beaches, lots of naked Germans though.
In reply to 6ASTU:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> what is there to do in Dubrovnik? I've only heard good things about it.

Lots of good restaurants and interesting places to see/walk/spend time. Strolling around the old town in the evening after the cruise ships have left, full from a great meal and sampling beer/wine in every bar on your way home is a great way to spend the night!

I managed to do some pretty fantastic DWS on the wee island just next to Dubrovnik, Lokrum.

In all honesty, you'd probably get a bit bored if you were there for a week, but it's a fantastic base to head on to Montenegro and Bosnia from. Plenty of trips if you don't want to hire a car.

Andy Hardy 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: What about Vancouver?
 John Ww 07 Mar 2013
In reply to tspoon1981

> Geneva.

From the OP

"I want a beach because I enjoy the coast and swimming in the sea"

Would have to be a bloody good swimmer to fulfil this requirement then!

Brass Nipples 07 Mar 2013

Lipari, aelios islands off Sicily.

Thanks all, plenty of ideas to research.
cap'nChino 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Barcelona. Providing you don't mind being mugged or having a prostitutes hand down youre pants.
 ripper 07 Mar 2013
In reply to cap'nChino:
> (In reply to The New NickB) Barcelona. Providing you don't mind being mugged or having a prostitutes hand down youre pants.

Easy to avoid - I didn't experience either of these things in a week spent there, out late on the streets most nights. Just avoided lower end of Ramblas and El Raval in the early hours... feel a bit like I missed out now though! Streets in the Barri Gotic where I stayed felt at least as safe as any UK city I've visited, probably more so.
In reply to The New NickB: Paris
 abh 07 Mar 2013
In reply to ebygomm:

+1 for San Sebastian
 flour 07 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Venice
 ripper 07 Mar 2013
In reply to abh:
> (In reply to ebygomm)
>
> +1 for San Sebastian

Yep a good choice if guaranteed Mediterranean sunshine is not a neecessity. Biarritz worth a look too.
 doz generale 07 Mar 2013

Could try Cartagena in Spain. Not massively touristy. Very small perfect for a weekend as you could probably see everything. Has some nice Roman ruins and a very nice archaeological museum. Has a pretty town centre and swanky marina area with chilled out bars etc. Beaches are fairly close by.

http://www.cartagenaturismo.es/

If you want to try something a bit lively you could give Mazzaron a go, town is typical spanish but slightly seedy if you like that sort of thing but it has great beaches.

Malaga is also a very nice city as has been pointed out
 Sam_in_Leeds 07 Mar 2013

Lisbon maybe?
 sargy 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Darron:

Essarioua would get my vote too. A day or two in Marrakech, followed by a lovely chill in Essa- amazing cheap seafood feasts, culture, sun, etc. Cheap as chips too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...