UKC

Wintour's Leap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dale1968 13 Apr 2013
going there Monday for the easiest sport climbs I can find, I walk like a drunk bloke(MS) Wondering how far its to the Woodcroft part? and what the terrain is like under foot? thanks in advance, Dale
 Si dH 13 Apr 2013
In reply to dale1968:
Woodcroft quarry is only 200 yards from the car(park by the Rising Sun pub), good path.
 GridNorth 13 Apr 2013
In reply to dale1968: Hi Dale. It's only a few hundred yards and the path is easy, in fact for most of the way it's tarmac/cement. Once down in the quarry however it becomes a little more vegetated and rocky.
 dave frost 13 Apr 2013
In reply to dale1968: Park near the rising sun pub (its closed down again) up the track past the horses and thendown the track above fly wall, then turn right the path goes along the bottom of the crag. The routes go into the bottom of the quarry and you can walk off the top with a bit of a downclimb. Not sure theyre all in the guidebook though.

%00 yards from the pub i suppose.

Dave
 dave frost 13 Apr 2013
In reply to dave frost: woops %00 was supposed to say 200 yards.
 The Ivanator 13 Apr 2013
In reply to dale1968: The path in is easy. To access the Lower and upper lifts where most of the climbing is requires a few bits of minor scrambling. The Wye Valley 2012 supplement is what you need for an up to date guide to the climbs, think several of the easiest lines have some loose rock so be careful and wear a lid to belay.
Removed User 14 Apr 2013
In reply to dale1968:
Wintour's is currently very wet, and another great big dollop is forecast. Nor is the quarry a quick-drying area (except for Still Nice and Still Sleazy).
OP dale1968 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson: Thanks for the heads up, I am staying in nearby Brockweir for the week, so are any of the other crags more likely candidates for drying out? (I am taking my BMX, so access is not an issue)
 dave frost 14 Apr 2013
In reply to dale1968: Wyndcliff is probably the quickest drying crag nearby. Though the quarry has sport climbing, the low grade pitches aren't that great. The other routes will probably do, but you need to be going at about 6b+/6c to have a good time.

The VS/hvs trad at the main crag is good, but the bottom may be damp as its in the woods.

Cheers
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...