UKC

Snowdon for my honeymoon Advice please!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Merry 18 Apr 2013
Hey guys, I dont come on here as much as i should but i thought if any one could help me, it would be you guys!

My wife to be agreed that we could go to Snowdon for our honeymoon, and ive found a great little place to stay which she loves the look of in Rhyd Ddu, (the cwellyn arms) now i would like to get some good photo opatunities along the route, as well as reaching the highest summit in wales (of course) now i would like to see adam and eve, and also the cannon, but im unsure how to plan the routes, and if it would be feasable in one or two days with where we may stay, i should i look for somewhere else to stay???

what do you guys think????
thanks for reading this far anyway, if you manage a reply for me it would be much apriciated!

Glenn
In reply to Merry: Consider staying in Beddgelert. lovely touristy area and quite well located for what you want to do. The Rhyd Ddu path up snowdon is quite amenable and my favourite route up. You can get the Snowdonia highland railway to Porthmadog from Beddgelert and to the Rhyd ddu path and do a circular route back to Beddgelert.

Any further questions email me. happy to help.
 James Edwards 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Merry:
I spent my honey moon on the campsite at the foot of Tyfan in the Ogwen valley in a tiny 2 man tent. It rained every day. Though admitadly the rain did stop long enough on most days for the midges come out.
I remember clearing the sheep out of the shower block so I could cook a honey moon feast on a pocket rocket in a single pan. The pan fell over and the contents fell on the floor and when I picked it up I noticed a bit of sheep pooh in it. I haven't yet been brave enough after all these years to tell my wife who still mentions what a lovely meal I made that night.
Good luck, but remember the honeymoon may set the tone for the rest of your marriage.
James
 Banned User 77 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Merry: Cannon is difficult to get to..

Snowdon one day, Tryfan and Adam and Eve day 2..

Unless you have experience scrambling the cannon may be an issue..

For Tryfan head up to llyn bochlwyd, bwlch tryfan south ridge, summit of tryfan, return south ridge and descend via cwm tryfan.. nice loop..

Rhyd Ddu > Ogwen isn't a huge drive.. 45 minutes, depends on the traffic..
 dgp 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Merry:
I would recommend Betws y coed and for agood photo - the cantilever on glyder fach.
 tobykeep 18 Apr 2013
In reply to James Edwards:

You spoil that woman James!
Merry 18 Apr 2013
Well we can't stay in a tent, needs to be a nice cosey cottage type thing!

I'm just having trouble pin pointing the cannon, and adam and eve on a map, which I can then cross reference with routes to make a loop! I can't even fond grid ref's
 TJ1993 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Merry: Hi,

Saw this whilst browsing for bunkhouses in the area (a bit out of my price range)

http://www.stcurigschurch.com/

It's the Capel Curig Church converted to a cottage type thing. Looks pretty decent?
 Welsh Kate 19 Apr 2013
In reply to TJ1993:
That is where some hillwalking friends of mine spent their very happy honeymoon! They've been back since so, though I haven't experienced it, it can't be that bad!
 Banned User 77 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Merry: Adam and Eve is the summit of Tryfan..

https://www.google.de/search?q=Adam+Eve&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&...

On Glyder Fach you have other rocks to picture so that could be worth a trip, a good hours walk from the summit of Tryfan..

Cantalever, Castel y Gwynt etc..

https://www.google.de/search?q=glyder+fach&client=firefox-a&hs=Dik&...
 toad 19 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Merry)
> I spent my honey moon on the campsite at the foot of Tyfan in the Ogwen valley in a tiny 2 man tent. It rained every day. Though admitadly the rain did stop long enough on most days for the midges come out.

Not a honeymoon, but me and the mrs spent our first ever holiday there together. Also the only time I ever missed a vote in a general election (Mrs T's third term)

Apart from the screaming jet fighters at 6AM it was ace, but we did walk up from Bethesda in a downpour.

Deviant 19 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Merry)
>
> Good luck, but remember the honeymoon may set the tone for the rest of your marriage.
>

However hard I try, I can't even imagine honeymooning in a tent in the Ogwen valley ! That said, I've planted my tent in some lovely spots and sex close to nature has much to recommend it !

MERRY :

The Cwellyn Arms is an excellent choice. I've only used The Bunkhouse ( not really suitable for honeymooning couples !). Many reports of it being pricey, but when you're already used to London prices......... !

RedFive 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Merry:
>
>
> I'm just having trouble pin pointing the cannon, and adam and eve on a map, which I can then cross reference with routes to make a loop! I can't even fond grid ref's

Err, might be worth alerting mountain rescue before you head out.
 Louise Tully 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Merry: Adam and Eve and the Cannon are both on Tryfan so it is possible to visit both of those spots during the one walk. You would need to take the North Ridge which is a scramble. There are ways around some of the obstacles but it is very rocky from start to finish so make sure you are happy with this. For a quiet way up Snowdon I like to start from Rhyd Ddu and walk up to Bwlch Cwm Llan (this is the col between Yr Aran and Snowdon. From here walk along Snowdon's south ridge to the summit. There is a short section of scrambling and the rest is on good paths. The path does head along next to some very steep drops though, so make sure you have a head for heights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...