UKC

Petzl meteor III+ and the sirroco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cameron94 18 Apr 2013
Got some vouchers to spend so I'm looking for a lightweight helmet for general use (mountaineering, trad, winter etc) and I'm debating which lid to get. I know the Meteor fits me unlike the petzl hybrids, I was wondering if the sirroco is built around the same shape?

What do people think of the meteor? It's one of the most popular lightweight helmets on the market so it must be doing something right.

What do people think of the sirroco? I know it's pretty new and not as well used but somebody must have some experience with it?

Cheers
 IoanTataru 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Cameron94: The sirroco is ugly as h&*l.
 dutybooty 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

Alot of people, though not everyone, are a bit skeptical about using them for winter climbing as with the general amount of crap falling down, these helmets may not last very long.

I personally use a grivel helmet for all these things and its not particularly heavy.

I appreciate its not a proper answer to your question, just my 2 pence.
OP Cameron94 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Cameron94: I should add the winter aspect would be for mountaineering days rather than climbing, I've got a hybrid helmet which I would use for winter climbing due to it's ability to take a couple more hits. Thanks for the tip though
OP Cameron94 18 Apr 2013
In reply to IoanTataru: I don't mind if it's ugly, it'll look a heck of a lot better than if I'd caved the top of my head in haha.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 18 Apr 2013
In reply to dutybooty:
> (In reply to Cameron94)
>
> Alot of people, though not everyone, are a bit skeptical about using them for winter climbing as with the general amount of crap falling down, these helmets may not last very long.

This should be less of a problem with the sirrocco than it is with the current foam helmets. It uses a new material that is tougher and tends to deform then flex back to it's original shape rather than cracking.

This is demonstrated here: youtube.com/watch?v=Dmn94J2_AXo&
 LucaC 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Cameron94: My meteor has taken several large stones to it, one put a dent in the outer plastic and I saw stars. Also stepped on it with a crampon (oops). It's still going strong and I'm quite happy using it. I understand the concern of it being broken on a route and then being without a lid, but I think if it took enough of an impact to totally crack it and write it off, I would probably be calling a chopper anyway. Very happy with it overall.
 dutybooty 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Cameron94: As long as you're aware of it I'd go for the meteor or black diamond vector!
 LucaC 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Cameron94: The vents on the meteor are pretty bad at filling with snow, I think the new black diamond super light lid would be far worse with those massive holes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...