UKC

Lakes mountain route recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Percy 23 Apr 2013
Am after some recommendations for long mountain-style routes in the Lakes to aim for this summer. I haven't climbed for a few years and was never a grade-pusher - quite happy with a nice day out on a V Diff in the sunshine! I did get up to leading around VS though.

I always wanted to get up on some long, easy routes in the Lakes but never got to it. This year, for some reason, I have the urge to get on some rock again and thought I'd go for those long Lakes routes I used to dream about. So - I have the guide books but wanted some recommendations for routes to aim for. Any suggestions?

I will of course be reacquainting myself with rope techniques etc. before heading out, and checking/updating gear as required.
 rockrat 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Percy: Needle Ridge on Great Gable or Corvus on Glaramara spring to mind straight away. I imagine any V.Diff on Pavey, Gimmer or Scarfell would be extremely rewarding as well.
 peas65 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Percy:

Get the scrambles nad easy climbs in the lake district guide book, its ace for this type of day out linking together great easy routes.

Other classic- Gillercombe buttress and trout dale pinnacle both great routes at Severe (i think)
 peter myers 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Percy: Bowfell. Buttress
 Baron Weasel 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Percy: Bowfell Buttress takes a nice journey up a big hunk of rock. Route finding is easy too - just follow the crampon scars!

Eliminate A on Dow if you begin to push your grade again - very very easy at VS with exposure by the bucketful!

BW
 Carolyn 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Percy:

Grey Crags above Buttermere has plenty of options at easy grades, with the bonus some buttresses finish almost at the top of High Stile.

Gillercombe Buttress is another good one (severe).
 Pero 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel:
>
> Eliminate A on Dow if you begin to push your grade again - very very easy at VS with exposure by the bucketful!
>
I'm sure Eliminate A is "very, very easy" if you're an E4 climber. For a humble VS leader it might not feel quite so simple!

GPN 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Pero:
> (In reply to Baron Weasel)
> [...]
> I'm sure Eliminate A is "very, very easy" if you're an E4 climber. For a humble VS leader it might not feel quite so simple!
Agreed, bog standard VS really: plenty easier, plenty harder: the logbook votes tend to agree!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=3348
 Stone Idle 24 Apr 2013
In reply to GPN: Not that hard for VS but I know one great Lakes climber who managed to go astray.... However, there are a number of great moubntain routes at VDiff/Sev on A Buttress
 stewart murray 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Percy: Middlefell Buttress, continue from the top of the route to join the path to Gimmer where you can do Ash Tree Slabs and A Route.

Pillar Rock - New West Climb and descend Slab and Notch.
 Baron Weasel 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Pero:

> I'm sure Eliminate A is "very, very easy" if you're an E4 climber. For a humble VS leader it might not feel quite so simple!

I thought it was pretty straight forward compared to other Lakes routes at the same grade, such as Gimmer Crack, which I found quite involved. I did do it in the middle of a scorching heatwave though, which probably made it seem more friendly. I just thought it was really cool that such an easy climb made its way up such an improbable line through those overhangs.

BW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...