UKC

What would you do with a free two months?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Edradour 12 May 2013
If you had: no responsibilities, a decent income, an adventurous spirit and two months off work what would you do?

BUT... you have to do whatever you have planned on your own.
 Sl@te Head 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:
I'd head back to Alaska
 tlm 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

I get 3 months off every summer...

But my partner doesn't...

So I tend to get stuff done around the house, and arrange weeks to visit my family, and have a couple of weeks away with him, and arrange to do things with other people for the day, and go for walks on my own and sit and stare into space a bit too....

I guess I like my life here quite a lot so don't really get the urge to go off for the whole 3 months on my own... I would miss him too much.
 Timmd 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: I'd go up to Iceland, and have an explore, then up to Greenland, for more of an explore, then back to the UK I guess. I'd go to Canada too if there was time, but just the first 2 would be cool. I think i'd just do the first two.
 Timmd 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: That's if it's during the summer for Iceland and Greenland.
 Conf#2 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Hmm, a few options:

Go to NZ/Aus for the surf
Go back to India to explore more
Go to CanAdia for some snowboarding

In all the places I would take a kindle and a laptop and some paper to read and learn and write science.

I am hopefully doing the first one later on this year. Yippee!
 Dauphin 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Go to the states with a camera and hit the honky tonk dives, titty bars and ghettos of the south.

D
 Yanis Nayu 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: I'd work my way around Russia.
 Run_Ross_Run 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Buy a motorhome (again)
Go travelling around Europe (again)

2 months aint long enough. Hmmmm......
 yeti 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

buy a decent bike, go to Egypt and do every site, yeah two months is not enough...
 Jon Stewart 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Trekking in the Andes. Or climbing the peaks there if that's your bag.
 Blizzard 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Easy, get back to the Himalaya in Nepal or go to New Zealand, south isle
 Pero 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: Climb!
 Welsh Kate 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Sleep.
 paul-1970 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

One dream that I will probably never realise is to head over to Alaska and hire one of the very remote lodges in the interior, probably up in the Gates of the Arctic park. Then get a bush pilot to fly me in - me and a few indulgent crates of food, drink, books and writing materials.

Then I'd happily spend the summer doing whatever I pleased, exploring, climbing, swimming, fishing and boating, and just generally hanging out in the environs. Maybe a few days out camping too, but always having the home base of the log cabin by the lake.

Then come the end of the summer the bush pilot flies back in and collects me.
In reply to Edradour:

Come back to the UK, visit friends and family, spend lots of time on Dartmoor and at Sennen.
Removed User 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Probably pop back to Papua New Guinea, head up to the Highlands and around Islands catching up with old friends for a month then back via the States and spend time up and around the west coast
Tim Chappell 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

A free two months? Well first off I'd finish the bloody book...

then I'd spend some time cycling around the NW Highlands, and knock off all the major classics on Sron na Ciche and Creag an Dubh-Loch...

then I'd go to the NZ Alps and bag as many big white pointy things as time allowed.

(Am I allowed to hire a guide to hold the rope for me on the last two ventures, or does that not count as alone? Whatever, I'm certainly not going up Integrity or the Fox Glacier unroped.)
 nw 12 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:
Thailand, drugs n' hookers.
Via Amsterdam.
 aln 12 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to Edradour)
>
> A free two months? Well first off I'd finish the bloody book...
>
> then I'd spend some time cycling around the NW Highlands, and knock off all the major classics on Sron na Ciche and Creag an Dubh-Loch...
>
> then I'd go to the NZ Alps and bag as many big white pointy things as time allowed.
>
> (Am I allowed to hire a guide to hold the rope for me on the last two ventures, or does that not count as alone? Whatever, I'm certainly not going up Integrity or the Fox Glacier unroped.)

He said 2 months not 2 years!
 alasdair19 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: trekking or climbing in the Indian himalalya. Much less gap yeary than Nepal and the leegacy English spoken allows fascinating conversations or Alaska, bc coast range. Or learn Spanish and head to Peru
In reply to Edradour:

GR10 - simples
ice.solo 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

an overland trip around the caspian sea. tho 3 months would be better.
 Tall Clare 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

I like to think I'd be brave and head to Chile. Failing that, I'd head up to the Outer Hebrides for some writing/photographing/thinking.
OP Edradour 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Some good replies. Interesting that the majority are travel based. I've been thinking about travel but also other things like learning a language, learning to cook, volunteering somewhere (so many options) or maybe doing a course in something like carpentry....
 climb the peak 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: cycle across america, cycle the pammir highway, walk north to south across scotland, cyce round the baltik sea, cycle across europe, spend 2 months hiking in the alps in summer, walk across japan, walk across new zealand, row across the atlantic, cycle from alaska to argentina, learn to ski tour, bag some alpine peaks,
All these things are on my (ambitious) bucket list
XXXX 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

I'd walk/run all the munros. I've yet to find anywhere in the world where you can enjoy nature as much as in the UK and Scotland is somewhere I've neglected thus far.
 Bimble 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

I'd go to Canada, get in a canoe & get exploring. Bliss.
ruttingstag 13 May 2013
In reply to Eric the Red: ditto
 shantaram 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: 1 month trekking/climbing in the Indian Himalaya, and 1 month surfing in Costa Rica.
 Fraser 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Find a pliant belay-bunny at a top Euro-crag and finally climb F8a.
Removed User 13 May 2013
 Kemics 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Moab - Zion - Yosemite
 Rock Badger 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Take up fly fishing then spend 1 month in NZ and 1 month in Argentina/Chile fishing, camping, hiking in the wilds, catching some of the worlds best trout in the worlds best trout rivers.
 Martin Davies 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: Go to Fort William for a month, climbing/working in the hospital, then head up to Lewis and explore the Outer Hebrides for a month, doing the odd bit of work in the hospital in Stornoway. Try and bag a trip back to Hoy to finish the Old Man. Oh wait, that's my summer plan for this year... Woo Hoo!!
 mayhematic 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour: I would travel a small part of europe and Boulder, surf also go on bike rides, then mabye some shopping I would probably spend 2 weeks in spain then 2 weeks in France, 2 weeks in Italy and 2 weeks in Germany.
 Blue Straggler 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Go to Thailand and do an intensive "Beginner to Instructor" freediving course. About $1800.
 bouldery bits 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Get down to Dartmoor for a few weeks and get some serious head space. Also spend some time in the lakes playing with a few boulder problems I've never been able to do because of limited time (or alternatively it's my very limited ability that's the issue...)

tlm 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:
> (In reply to Edradour)
>
> Some good replies. Interesting that the majority are travel based. I've been thinking about travel but also other things like learning a language, learning to cook, volunteering somewhere (so many options) or maybe doing a course in something like carpentry....

those are more the sorts of things that I do.. I'm learning spanish at the moment... and I play my guitar, and I make things...

Jonny2vests 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Gosh. Surprising the amount of people who wouldn't opt for climbing.
 HenryC 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

Why do you have to do it alone? If you mean because you don't know anyone to do it with then go to somewhere where people are, such as:

Camp 4
The Pines, Arapalies
Or no doubt some other Meccas

That would be what I'd do, take your kit, chat to people, find a partner and get on some routes
 mack 13 May 2013
In reply to Edradour:

If money was no problem then..

1 week exploring the Canadian rivers or Swedish rivers in a canoe.
1 week on a small island far from anywhere with a small survival kit.
1 week skydive course in Florida.
1 week climbing Thailand.
1 week climbing USA.
1 week scuba diving in Borneo.
5 days diving with great whites in S Africa
5 days tornado chasing across Oklahoma or Colorado.

1 week rest =)
ice.solo 13 May 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Edradour)
>
> Gosh. Surprising the amount of people who wouldn't opt for climbing.

that takes at least 3 months. 2 is just perfect for a holiday from climbing.
 Jonny2vests 14 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
> that takes at least 3 months. 2 is just perfect for a holiday from climbing.

Yeah, thing is, I never seem to quite get my fill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...