UKC

Friday night...so rock my world

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 16 Aug 2013
If you could choose from the last few hundred years, what single track or piece of music would you pick that would rock your/my world?

I'm not after a list of top 3, 10 or 100.
 Blue Straggler 16 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Blue Straggler
 ThunderCat 16 Aug 2013
OP The Lemming 16 Aug 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

OK.

It rocked, not exactly what I was after. But it did grab my attention.
 Skyfall 16 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Well, I love quite a bit of classical stuff (the few hundred years old bit) but I think it's really got to be rock or something a bit more contemporary.

I was going to say Temptation by Heaven 17 (I suppose we all have tracks which define parts of our lives, relationships etc) but, I suppose the album that has stayed with me from my teenage years onwards is Back in Black and, if I have to choose a specific track, it probably has to be Shoot to Thrill. I thought I'd go for Back in Black or Hells Bells but, actually, Shoot to Thrill is the one that still gets me really rocking.

Airbourne have a lot to learn....
 ripper 16 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: well everyone has their favourites but for a question like this it has to be about revolutionary moments that broke the mould - so maybe something like an early Elvis/Jerry Lee Lewis/Little Richard, one from Sex Pistols, or maybe Ramones, and erm maybe one from Grandmaster Flash or NWA or summat
 Blue Straggler 16 Aug 2013
In reply to ripper:
> it has to be about revolutionary moments that broke the mould

that's not what the OP is asking
 MonkeyPuzzle 16 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I was a strictly guitar-only bloke, up late at night, watching 120 minutes on MTV and then this happened: youtube.com/watch?v=ggeu5vhbueo& Things were never the same again.
 aln 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to ripper)
> [...]
>
> that's not what the OP is asking
Maybe not but it fits the OP if that's what rocks ripper's world.

woody0606 16 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: There's too many to make any kind of sensible choice! But this is certainly one of my favourite tracks of the past few years: youtube.com/watch?v=kp5OxqtmQ44&

woody0606 16 Aug 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: :-0
That's something really quite special. I love my D&B, can't believe I've never heard this before!
In reply to The Lemming:

Mine's a bit older than 100 yrs, this is the section I cannot be without. had it on vinyl, cassette, CD and MP3, will have it on whatever format comes out next.

youtube.com/watch?v=48ahYfJXtY4&
 MonkeyPuzzle 17 Aug 2013
In reply to woody0606:

Check out Photek's Form and Function (part 1) and Modus Operandi albums and there's nothing better in the genre. Unfortunately, after that he decided generic techstep would pay the bills easier, but the early stuff can't be argued with.
 malk 17 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Not quite sure what you mean by 'rock' your world ... because I'm sure you wouldn't want that in perpetuity. Surely, instead, something awesomely beautiful that touches the soul. Can't quite make up my mind if the greatest such piece that's ever been written (that I've heard) is Beethoven's Cavatina from String Quartet Op.130, or Betrachte, meine Seel from Bach's St John Passion.

youtube.com/watch?v=OSnhA57iSPQ&
youtube.com/watch?v=bIDj3ZjA1JE&

Blue Straggler 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

You took your time! I was waiting for your post as soon as The Lemming started the thread
ice.solo 17 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Rite of spring, chicago symph, '71 under ozawa.

Or the stooges, cincinnatti, also '71.

Very similar in many ways.
Rosco P Coltrane 17 Aug 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

That's given me a terrible earworm!!
 ThunderCat 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
>
> That's given me a terrible earworm!!

It does get under your skin a bit....

OP The Lemming 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I say, the camera wasn't all that subtle at tilting down towards that lady's crotch.

Relaxing music though.
OP The Lemming 17 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

OK, time for my nomination.

Now this one needs to have the scene set, because you just had to be there to get the spine tingling impact that can never be done justice with Youtube.

Many moons ago I visited Iona and was aimlessly wandering through the cloisters of Iona Abby when I heard Gabriel's Oboe playing. Naturally, as the music was perfect in every way, I thought that it was being piped through speakers. It wasn't until I turned a corner that I witnessed the delight of two people playing this piece on a grand piano and oboe. They were just practising for a service to be held in a day or two.

I've loved this soundtrack from the very moment I heard the opening credits of the film The Mission, but to hear the notes serenely drift along empty cloisters of an island abbey, was in my mind ethereal.

youtube.com/watch?v=vVNmVSufv0A&

And if you have the time or inclination, here's the whole lot in one go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5LHUipN5U4&list=SPEC76378BECEF08A3
 Dominion 17 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

At the moment, this one always makes me smile when it comes on random play on my music player

youtube.com/watch?v=mZM-d2qD15E&

My Apocalypse, by Arch Enemy

Jon Stewart 17 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

This is for me, what it feels like to be human. An unsurpassable performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dlrXCYrNYI&list=FLdWC6Y_AS7OpZ1k29yQPOr...
 Jon Stewart 17 Aug 2013
In reply to woody0606:
> (In reply to The Lemming) There's too many to make any kind of sensible choice! But this is certainly one of my favourite tracks of the past few years: youtube.com/watch?v=kp5OxqtmQ44&

Liked that. Not listened to Jamie xx before, reminded me of Mount Kimbie. And that Photek track is really good too, eh? Unlike most of what I listened to at that time, it doesn't sound shit and dated, good to hear that one again.
 Gudrun 17 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
theres 3 and its saturday night but who gives a ...

This one from one of my favourite bands witha very important message....
youtube.com/watch?v=8S0aD6QLTxQ&

Another of my favurite bands with a nice little ditty here.... youtube.com/watch?v=-1uSSRcn7UE&

or more of this shit from oor Scottish heros.... youtube.com/watch?v=dxrolYt2j18&

ok i cant coont.... youtube.com/watch?v=I0WgrGRawcQ&
Rosco P Coltrane 18 Aug 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

Chimpanzeeridingonasegway Chimpanzeeridingonasegway Chimpanzeeridingonasegway baa bada bada baaaah.

Help me, someone, please.

Chimpanzeeridingonasegway Chimpanzeeridingonasegway Chimpanzeeridingonasegway baa bada bada baaah
 Al Evans 18 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Ok, because I'm still a hippy, even though I embraced pop, punk, hard rock, new wave and everything until disco and even more so the all time crap music trend, rap. If I have to choose one song I'll go for something I bet nobody else on here will go for;
If You're Going To San Francisco, by Scott McKenzie.
Or if not something by Dylan or Paul Simon.
 Boogs 18 Aug 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> I was a strictly guitar-only bloke, up late at night, watching 120 minutes on MTV and then this happened: youtube.com/watch?v=ggeu5vhbueo& Things were never the same again.

That Photek track had a similar affect on me and the way I listened to other music from then on , Dj Krust's Future Unknown , maintain & True Stories had a massive influence on my musical taste there after .

Good call .

Steve Perry 18 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: After 10yrs this still rocks mine.

youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE&
 Jimmy1976 18 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Friday nights in the hallamshire and then onto the Drop at the city hall was all about these folks
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kuoFiIFkdAA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dkuo...
Sorry cant get it to hyperlink.

Then a few years later in the Marcus Garvey Centre on a megadog night it was all about these folks
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=XLjKx7QtxkY
 Sl@te Head 18 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Enjoying Nine Inch Nails at the moment...
youtube.com/watch?v=4CF_nqV9XbY&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...