UKC

NEWS: Long Causeway Vehicle Ban Set in Stone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Sep 2013
Off-roaders busy destroying the newly-repaired Causeway, 3 kb

The Peak District National Park Authority is to permanently prevent motor vehicles from using the Long Causeway at Stanage to protect, they say, the national park’s special qualities.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68359
 Peakpdr 20 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Well thats not very fair is it ;-(... Lets ban trad climbing/mtb while there at it. With all the litter and bog roll that people leave behind thatl be next.
 rogersavery 20 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

The Peak Park authority can't do that

Only County councils, metropolitan district councils and London boroughs have powers to make TROs on the roads for which they are responsible. The Secretary of State has similar powers with respect to trunk roads

Land owners or planning authorities can't issue TRO's
 3 Names 20 Sep 2013
In reply to pauldr:

No need, leaving litter is already banned .
 victorclimber 20 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: not before time ,anyone with half a brain could see it should never have happened in the first place ,Roman Road next at Cam Houses ..
 Chris the Tall 20 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Good news
 rogersavery 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

It's not good news - which user group will be banned next?
 Chris the Tall 20 Sep 2013
In reply to rogersavery:
I'm well aware of the Pastor Niemollar argument - I think I had it on my wall at university - but that alone is not a reason not to take action.

3 big difference between this user group and others
1) Use of mechanically powered vehicles
2) Noise generated
3) Damage caused

Yes other we all generate noise and cause damage, but the degree is way out of proportion with 4x4s and has no place on Stanage.
In reply to rogersavery: 4x4's are not banned in the National Park. They are just banned from one particular route

From memory they tried to put in some kind of voluntary code but it got massively abused.

Maybe if climbers didn't obey the annual voluntary bird bans we would see mandatory bans.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...