UKC

(Ir)rational fears

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I can't think of many things I won't try but I have categorically said that I will never do a sky dive. I don't know why. actually I do - it's because I have a fear (rational or irrational) that either the parachute won't open or, when it does, it will somehow malfunction. I know it's a comparatively safe activity but it doesn't change the fact, in my mind at least, that I will never do it.

What fears do you folks have/activities you will not partake in for what ever reason?

Caving is another - gives me the heeby jeebys.
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Having to speak to more than about two people at once. Just completely freeze up and can't say anything.
 Loughan 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: rollercoasters. Alton Towers is the third circle of hell.

Trying to progress up a rockface with a hundred feet of fresh air below and one foot smeared on something unsavoury? Fine.

Lashed into a thrilling fairground ride? No way!
Jim C 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Helicopter joy ride is not for me.

However, I had always been prepared to take a rescue chopper as the odds were that I would be safer, than the predicament that I would be in and needed to be rescued from.

The crashes off the rigs have not helped my lack of confidence in them, and then ....
http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/sea-king-helicopter-in-glencoe-emerg...

Still safer than the A9 though.
 Ann S 05 Nov 2013

I feel your pain in reverse. I was once persuaded to do a parachute jump, but such is my fear of flying that I was far happier jumping out of the plane than staying on board.
Daithi O Murchu 05 Nov 2013

fear of begin stitched up by the police

- totally irrational !
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:
> (In reply to highclimber)
>
> fear of begin stitched up by the police
>
> - totally irrational !

I dont think its that irrational judging by the plebgate incident, hullsboro' and stephen lawrence!
 RockAngel 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: stairs with no backs are my irrational fear. Ladders are fine and climbing is ok but ascending stairs with no backs sends me into a panic attack. I have no idea why they upset me so much.
richyfenn 05 Nov 2013

Slight fear of spiders, no big issue, but planes and roller coaster. I love the look of them and would love to like them, but I just hate them. They don't terrorfy me but I really hate having no control over it, I do far more dangerous things on a motorcycle, but I'm in control. Also I don't like the idea of plummeting to my doom for ages if something goes wrong

I did get to go in a 4 seater light aircraft sat in the co-pilot seat which felt better as I could do something if something happened to the pilot (I did have a go), but the rickety nature of the craft disturbed my calm
 LastBoyScout 05 Nov 2013

I've skydived and loved it - but I'd never do a bungy jump!

I like my spine as it is, thanks
 tony 05 Nov 2013
>
> Caving is another - gives me the heeby jeebys.

Caving for me too, and anything related to it. I want to put some insulation under our floors, but I can't bring myself to crawl in the space underneath - brings me out in nightmares.
 bleddynmawr 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Tony: Just reading your post caused anxiety. It's the thought of getting stuck.
In reply to tony:
> [...]
>
> Caving for me too, and anything related to it.

Cave-diving. Mental [shudders]

Ramblin dave 05 Nov 2013
That's quite a rational fear, though, to be fair.

I'm always really nervous about phoning people up in any sort of formal context. I mean, it doesn't reduce me to a quivering wreck or anything, but I always find myself putting it off for as long as possible...
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Public speaking for me. Totally irrational. A room of bored suits thinking about what to have for lunch...why should that be so frightening?

I think the jumping out of planes and caving fears are very rational
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> That's quite a rational fear, though, to be fair.
>
> I'm always really nervous about phoning people up in any sort of formal context. I mean, it doesn't reduce me to a quivering wreck or anything, but I always find myself putting it off for as long as possible...

Same here, though I don't think its that I'm frightened, just uncomfortable.
 johncook 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: heights! Ok on the route, will run it out, even at my grade limit, but once on top I am terrified, of falling back off. Can't lean over the edge and look down, have to be tied on really solidly. Keeps mates amused. (Also scared of being on high bridges, tall buildings and ladders.) Starting abs, although once actually past the first 4 ft I love it.
 Wingnut 05 Nov 2013
High level bog cisterns, no idea why.
 jayferg76 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I hate crowds, can't stand them. We took the kids to a bonfire on Saturday at the park, and my stomach started doing back flips when i saw the amount of people there.

The other thing is heights. I know it sounds daft saying that on a climbing forum, but that's the reason why i don't climb. Just remember though, if you need a partner to guard your cheese sarnie's at the foot of the crag, i'm your man!
In reply to jayferg76: Is it the height that you are scared of or the falling? I'm scared of falling [to my death] but I wouldn't say I'm scared of heights per se.
 csw 05 Nov 2013

Filling in forms.
In reply to csw:
>
> Filling in forms.

Job application forms that ask you for your GCSE results - fearful that I might 'accidentally' put a C instead of a D and later get found out (quite how, I don't know as I've no idea myself).
 jayferg76 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: It's the height. For example I can stand at the bottom of Malham Cove and look up, and the knees start knocking followed by feeling dizzy. The same thing happens at the top as well, i can't go near the edge.
Don't get me wrong, i'd give my left testicle to be able to climb, but whenever i've tried i get about 6' up and just freeze.

I'm fine up on the hill when there's solid ground under me, in fact the higher the better. Maybe it's the exposure that gets me, i don't know. What i do know is that is depresses me when i read about the routes that you lot do.
Jealous? Yes, very much so.
 Al Evans 05 Nov 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:
>
> I've skydived and loved it - but I'd never do a bungy jump!
>
> I like my spine as it is, thanks

Me too, I really can't see the point of a bungy jump, and I'm convinced that the threat of bouncing back up and getting the rope caught round your neck is not a zero risk. I've never liked falling off climbing so why should I pay to fall, similar with bridge jumping, not for me. I have no problem with most real adventure sports, was a caver and a canoeist off and on all throughout my climbing career.
 Al Evans 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans: I also as somebody above said, don't like Alton Towers type carnival rides which throw you up and down and around at great forces of G.
abseil 05 Nov 2013

Janice Prong.
Janice Prong 05 Nov 2013
In reply to abseil:
<lurks menacingly behind abseil>
 lost1977 05 Nov 2013

Nice to look at but never ask me to touch a sunflower, they totally freak me out
abseil 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Janice Prong:
> (In reply to abseil)
> <lurks menacingly behind abseil>

Heeeeeelppp!!! I'm sorry, Janice!!
 deepsoup 05 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:
Nice to look at but never ask me to touch Janice Prong. <shudder>
In reply to deepsoup: Who the hell is Janice Prong? registered on the site today is all I know. Should I be scared?
 lost1977 05 Nov 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

Think I need a profile pic to help
 Jim Fraser 05 Nov 2013

Rationally, I have survived a Tory or Labour majority government before, many times, but ....
 mrdigitaljedi 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Helicopters..

After 3 yes 3 trips to casualty in these bloody contraptions, i cannot stand them, they are a usefull rescue tool, but as for going into a chopper of my own free accord NEVER.............
 lost1977 05 Nov 2013
In reply to mrdigitaljedi:

3 times, I want to hear the stories. Can't help but thinking but twice is bad luck but 3 times are you going out looking to get saved
 felt 05 Nov 2013
> I can't think of many things I won't try but I have categorically said that I will never do a sky dive. ... I know it's a comparatively safe activity

Skydiving is really, really safe, even when two planes collide:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/wisconsin-skydivers-two-planes...
 Skol 05 Nov 2013
I don't like travelling in the car with just the Mrs, and not the kids .
This is incase we both die in a crash and the kids are orphaned
 JIMBO 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I have fykiaphobia which makes deep water soloing quite stressful... prefer to solo over ground/rocks
In reply to lost1977: 1 climbing accident (castle naze), 1 motorbike smash, and 1 mtb accident at devils gate on the ladybower circuit.
Jim C 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Skol:
> I don't like travelling in the car with just the Mrs, and not the kids .
> This is incase we both die in a crash and the kids are orphaned

Not at all irrational, quite sensible, if a little inconvenient. I think that is what the royals do as well.

When our kids were younger, we just arranged that we had proxy parents ( my sister and BIL) it was in my will that they would get custody in the event.
 Skol 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Jim C:
Yeah. We have proxy parents too. That is why I'm even less keen on us orphaning them at once
It truly buggers up time away together. We have even gone in separate cars before now.
 lost1977 05 Nov 2013
In reply to mrdigitaljedi:

You ever considered a really extreme pastime maybe snakes and ladders or crosswords
In reply to lost1977: tried scrabble once, had 2 go opticians got a tile in the eye hehehe
Daithi O Murchu 05 Nov 2013

fear of premature ejaculation

abr1966 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I will never climb on Buchaille Etive Mor....i genuinely believe that if i did i would die.
 Queenie 05 Nov 2013

White-water rafting. I'd love the adrenaline rush, but the though of cold salty water splashing my face horrifies me. I can't even do front crawl as I hate water up the nose and my face immersed. Urgh.
andymac 05 Nov 2013

Similarly ,could never do a bungee jump.never.

I would pick the day the rope somehow managed to become 10 feet longer than usual.

Fredt 05 Nov 2013

I'm reminded of the advice my grandfather gave me:

"Try everything at least once, except buggery and country dancing"
 Hooo 05 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:
>
> Nice to look at but never ask me to touch a sunflower, they totally freak me out
I get freaked out just looking at them. Also, any kind of fungus. Gives me the heebies.
 lost1977 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Hooo:

So all this time I haven't been alone in this, I really thought it was just me
 Trangia 05 Nov 2013

I'd be happy to do a sky dive, but not a bungee jump. Other no no's include riding pillion on a motorbike, white water rafting, go karting and being inside one of those big balls which roll down hills. Bull running doesn't hold much appeal either, but snakes don't scare me. Paint balling upsets my conscience too, because I find the concept of adults "playing at war" disturbing when there are people out in Afghanistan etc doing it for real.

OK's have included galloping on a thoroughbred, cave diving, surfing, zip wires, aerobatics in a light aircraft and skiing, but not tobogganing.
 Hooo 05 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to Hooo)
>
> So all this time I haven't been alone in this, I really thought it was just me
How about fungus though? Surely no one but me is scared of toadstools?
 Trevers 05 Nov 2013
In reply to johncook:
> (In reply to highclimber) heights! Ok on the route, will run it out, even at my grade limit, but once on top I am terrified, of falling back off. Can't lean over the edge and look down, have to be tied on really solidly. Keeps mates amused. (Also scared of being on high bridges, tall buildings and ladders.) Starting abs, although once actually past the first 4 ft I love it.

It's that queer feeling in your heels- almost daring you to lean out and let go.
Odd how even when I'm scared on a route with disco legs, I never get that feeling. But stood safely behind a barrier, I need to back away.
ice.solo 05 Nov 2013

not a fan of man-made heights; rollercoasters, some tall buildings (more than about 30 floors).
bungy jumping im not into. i work all summer rigging for bungy and its fine (even when its man-made bridges we hang off the bottom of, go figure that out...). its the being sprung back upwards that freaks me out.

public speaking i love. controlling a room full of people, whats not to like? the more the better, tho woodstock or nuremberg might be tittillating.
Pan Ron 06 Nov 2013

Strange, I found a day's multi-pitch lead climbing far more nerve-wracking that skydiving. In fact I gave up the later as it felt boring and soul-less in comparison.
 lost1977 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Hooo:

not exactly keen on fungus, maybe we could form a support group of some kind.

"My name is Phil and i'm scared of Sunflowers"

blimey i feel better already
 mrdigitaljedi 10 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977: hi iam chris and iam accident prone, bloody hell this works lol.......................
 MountainGoat82 12 Nov 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

Me too!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...