UKC

weight and winter climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello.

How important is weight to winter climbing?

Does a person need to be slim to do well in Scottish Winter Climbing and to climb grade VII or is endurance, psyche, technique and stamina more important?

I read that to climb grade VII balerina like weight is needed!

Is this true?
 Heike 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Mountain Spirit:
Don't know where you read that. I have done quite a few VIIs and I am no ballerina - I wish...hahaha (and always on the lookout to shed a few pounds), but being slim helps of course. However, I think in winter it's a 'slim' line between not too heavy and having enough meat on you to keep you warm (that's my personal, very unscientific assessment).
Cheers
Heike
 The Ivanator 09 Nov 2013
How important is weight to winter climbing?
Do it and find out for yourself. Don't start with a VII.
 xplorer 09 Nov 2013

Just get out there MS!

running up grade I/II gullies will have you losing weight.

In reply to Heike:
> I have done quite a few VIIs and I am no ballerina -

Morning Heike,

That comment made me smile

Weight is very important, you need to WAIT for the right conditions, to allow 'those routes' to be sent!!

Thanks

Stuart

Ps. You did manage to walk down from SCNL in those heels, many a size 8 would have struggled!!
 sbc_10 09 Nov 2013

If you are down to ballerina body fat levels, then you'll need reliable and quality insulation (which is lightweight and stowable) and move fast to maintain heat. Lengthy belay stances in typical Scottish conditions are draining.
Carrying a bit of timber myself I find the walk-in and gravity defying gymnastics(!)(Grade II/III) somewhat hellish, but waiting for my mate on a postage stamp sized ledge for 30 minutes whilst the spindrift is lining my undies and my ears resemble prawn crackers.... is bearable.

Flash tactics or siege mentality ?
abseil 09 Nov 2013
> Does a person need to be slim to do well in Scottish Winter Climbing and to climb grade VII or is endurance, psyche, technique and stamina more important?
> I read that to climb grade VII balerina like weight is needed!

No, a person does not need to be slim to do well in Scottish winter climbing.

No, to climb grade VII ballerina-like weight is not needed.

Sorry to see that you read these incorrect facts somewhere.
ice.solo 09 Nov 2013

not vital, but getting more athletic increases your endurance, psyche, technique and stamina.

ballerina? no. you need a bit of beef to lug all the junk and some extra in the tank to stay warm when things go grim - which they will.
mind you, some of those male dancers are pretty formed, so maybe....
 Gael Force 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Mountain Spirit: Having a Troll like build is advisable, so you will be ideal.
In reply to Heike:

Hi

I think I read in Climb or Summit.

I am no ballerina either.

I have plenty of meat but I am not sure if it is too much...

How heavy is not too heavy?

Bye

Sav
In reply to The Ivanator:

Hi.

I will do after winter walking.

Sav
 Jamie B 09 Nov 2013

You will not answer your questions by going on a forum.

You will answer them by going on a hill.
In reply to sbc_10:

Hi.

I am carrying timber to like yourself and doing cardio at the moment for the long walk ins and stamina.

I know what spindrift is.

Not sure what you question means?

Bye

Sav
In reply to abseil:

Hello abseil.

Thank you for your kind words.

Bye

Savvas
 Milesy 09 Nov 2013
What was Andy Kirkpatrick's scottish grade?
In reply to ice.solo:

Hello ice.solo.

Beef, do you mean muscle?

I have quite a lot of muscle.

I do have a lot of insulating fat to stay warm.

It is true that many male ballet dancers have a lot of muscle - mainly on their legs.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Gael Force:

Hi.

By troll like build do you mean well built?

If so.... thanks!

Bye

Savvas
ice.solo 10 Nov 2013

yes, muscle.

i dont know much about ballet, but nureyev at least had big shoulders and legs and appeared to carry little fat or excess, so he at least may be a good standard.
the 50kg female leads tho - aside from the flexability and balance - probably not ideal.

then again, its easier to throw on extra layers because youre skinny than push your heart rate because you have excess body mass.
In reply to ice.solo:

Hey Ice.

I have big shoulders and legs.

What you are saying in your third sentence is true.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to ice.solo:

Hello.

I saw Greg Boswell's profile photo on ukc and a photo of him doing powerdab....

He has a similar body shape to me i.e. big shoulders and muscle.

Bye

Sav
 KiwiPrincess 15 Nov 2013

It'll keep you warm!
 CurlyStevo 15 Nov 2013
Savvas Greg has the body of an athlete which is atleast partly why he climbs so incredibly hard. Have you seen the pictures of him dry tooling, he's slim and well built. Neither of us look anything like him which has a big part to play in why we can't climb anything like as hard!

Stevo
 Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

With Greg I think it's partly down to having a rare natural talent for winter climbing, that and probably getting out with plenty good climbers early on in career?
 xplorer 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo)
>
> With Greg I think it's partly down to having a rare natural talent for winter climbing, that and probably getting out with plenty good climbers early on in career?

Yes but training hard and being as fit as possible counts for a lot. Experience is invaluable that's a given, but being in the right shape enables you to at least attempt some of the sequences these guys do. Being overweight or having very little muscle mass will do nothing but hold you back.

Taking part in any sport has the added benefits of being able to get and stay fit whilst enjoying it. Everybody should want to improve their general health, and climbing is a perfect excuse to do so.

Obviously most people climb for fun, and are happy staying low in the grades. It's all down to your own personal goals and aspirations
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Stevo.

I have seen a photo of him dry tooling his masterpiece Powerdab.

I am well built but sadly have a lot of excess insulation.

I hope to loose it by next summer.

Next winter I hope to climb like Greg but with a bit of insulation.

Bye

Savvas
 xplorer 15 Nov 2013

"Has Greg done anything in very cold places like Alaska or remote Himalayan areas?"

Thinking of excess body fat as insulation isn't going to help you MS. You seem to worry a lot about grades that you are no way near. Just get out there and climb.

Being big boned and climbing as a hobby can be enjoyed

Being as fit as a fiddle, motivated, climbing as a lifestyle, you get scared!

Get out tomorrow and go climb!!!
In reply to xplorer:

Hello

OK

Will do.
 CurlyStevo 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Mountain Spirit: I have a very defined six pack. Unfortunately you just cant see it through my insulitive layer. But im sure its there
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hi Stevo.

I feel that way to!

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) will help you get rid of the fat!

Bye

Sav

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...