UKC

Can you ski in mountaineering boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy4 06 Dec 2013
Quick question,is it possible to ski in mountaineering boot.I know we can't downhill ski but would a cross country binding fit?
Im thinking of the scarps phantom that i wear at the moment.Only ever downhill skied with ski boots.
I followed a guy up glass slipper last year,when i got to the top he had skied off,he did not look to be carrying big ski boots with him.
Thanks
 TobyA 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

> Quick question,is it possible to ski in mountaineering boot.I know we can't downhill ski but would a cross country binding fit?

No, not any thing that in the widest sense is called a cross country binding, i.e. XC track skis through to NTN tele bindings.
 Rich W Parker 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I know of people who have done this, for example in Alasksa in boots such as Spantiks. I think they found it hard going.
On the other hand it's possible to get some pretty nimble, lightweight ski mountaineering boots these days.
 galpinos 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Can you - Yes
Would I - No
How - Check out Jonathan Griffith's blog (Alpine Exposures). He seems to quite enjoy skiing is Spantiks and approach skis!
Andy4 06 Dec 2013
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks for the info everyone,looks like a no go.
Nick Barnard 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Disclaimer, I haven't done it and it's all based on a whimsical google session a while ago but Silvretta 500/404's seem to be the binding of choice.
 Guy 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Do a search on the forums, loads of info there.
 Andes 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Yes, I've never had any problem. Skiied in old style plastic boots and in my La Sportiva Nepal tops (the yellow ones). You need to be quite a good skier of course as its all about being well balanced, and I wouldn't scream down a black piste at 50mph in them!
 Webster 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Yes, I have x-country skiid on Svalbard wearing scarpa omegas, though these were seriously old school skis which were potentially adapted for purpose, they had a binding similar to a strap on crampon. also B3 boots will attatch to a downhill binding, and therefore presumably a touring binding, just test it first.i wouldn't recommend going downhill in anything other than a snowplow thou!
 BnB 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

I've snow boarded in my B2s and it was pretty straightforward, if a tad floppy above the ankles, so had to go easy
 Richard Baynes 06 Dec 2013
In reply to BnB: I actually learned to ski in old Koflak mountaineering boots, with ski mountaineering bindings (silvrettas I think) and it was amazing to try a pair of real ski boots after that. Yes it can be done and we managed to ski down to the Moy burn off the back of Creag Meagaidh (sp??) with only five or six falls...
And I have actually forgotten how to ski now...

SteveD 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

A couple of years ago I had walk out with the Moray MC on the South Cluanie Ridge. two members of the group skied off on big feet (Big Foots?) clipped onto their winter boots.

Steve D
 peebles boy 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Tried this last year with Scarpa Phantoms and a pair of blades. Did not go well. Simply not enough ankle support/general rigidity to be able to effect turns properly, or indeed at all if the snow was icy or hard packed. Won't be trying again. Although, I do have a pair of old mountain guides somewhere that may be better due to higher ankle support...
 GraMc 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

I do it regulary in my spantiks in a pair of 130cm skis with silveretta bindings. Its pretty difficult but it works well and means you can ski in and climb without being so encumbered, however you do need to be able to ski well first, as without the ankle support it would be really easy to break an ankle!
 alasdair19 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:
it can be done but not easily, the lad you followed was allmost certainliy climbing in ski boots.

to ski in soft climbing boots you need to be a very good skier, with reasonable snow conditions.
 John Ww 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

I'm fully aware that I'm likely to be reduced to a pile of ash for this, but it does cross my mind that people in Mordic and Alpine countries have been skiing in footwear considerably less supportive than modern mountaineering boots for hundreds (if not thousands) of years.

Indeed, if you Google "1960's ski boot" images, you'll see exactly what I learnt to ski in on Scottish pistes. Now while I wouldn't want to use them today, I'm sure that there were people who could (and did) ski off-piste in them.

Jist a thought, JW
Andy4 06 Dec 2013
In reply to John Ww:

I think I may have to improve my skiing before i think of using lower ankle support boots by looking at the advice on here.
Ive only really done down hill skiing and small amount of cross country.No way an experienced skier yet.
Better keep on plodding back from the winter routes!!
Thanks
 NottsRich 06 Dec 2013
In reply to John Ww:

I was skiing last year with 30 y/o leather tele 'boots' (more like shoes) and 2m straight skis. I fell all over the place trying to wind down between the trees, but it was really good fun! So easy on the uphill compared to any modern touring setups that I've tried.

You'll be able to use mountaineering boots for some skiing, but it really depends what you'll be using them for as to their suitability. Where do you intend to use them?
 Jim Fraser 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

Skied in Salewa alpine ski mo bindings with Koflachs and Scarpa Omega in the past. Stem Christie days, but reasonable progress was made. Probably easier for folk who have experienced nordic mountain skis than those who expect a an experience like ordinary downhill kit.
 alasdair19 06 Dec 2013
In reply to John Ww:

I've skied a fair bit on leather Tele boots. On long, thin, cambered skis. I can do it but its tricky.

In reply to andy foers:

I've skied the Vallee Blanche in Koflach plastic climbing boots - it wasn't pretty! I was using Silvretta 400 bindings (this will have been in the mid 1980s). The next time I climbed and skied the VB I did the climb in ski boots - much easier

ALC
 smithaldo 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers: 'most' of the time skiing into/down from Scottish routes would be utterly pointless as it wouldn't be quicker skiing in or probably skiing back, given how much you would actually be skiing. In the alps in winter this is a different debate.

johnj 06 Dec 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

I've skinned up to the bergschrund and walked up to the summit of the ordinary route on the Aiguille D'Argentiere on the same set up (mid 90's), like you say not pretty. Telemark down Valley Blanche (late 90's) on 205 salomons and Scarpa T1 in comparison much easier and a lot of fun.
johnj 06 Dec 2013
In reply to alasdair19:
Leather ski march boots, pussar planks and 120lb Bergan in the dark was fun, sometime easier to put Klister on base of skis and walk down hill
Post edited at 19:29
paraffin 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

As mountaineers we have all thought of doing it. Some have even tried it. A few have even claimed to enjoy it.

Cannot wait for a cheap-skate skier to turn up at the local climbing wall in 4 clip ski boots.
 David Bennett 06 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:
I can't wait for a decent compromise boot to arrive, I really would like a 1 quiver boot. So far the TLT6 seems too climbing focussed and the Scarpa freedom a bit heavy
 Dave 07 Dec 2013
In reply to andy foers:

As others have said, yes you can downhill ski in mountaineering boots. If you can get hold of some old Silvretta 404 touring bindings (they come up on Ebay now and again) these work very well with rigid mountaineering boots that have the front and rear welts for clip on crampons. As there is minimal front or rear support dont expect to be able to ski like normal but its perfectly possible just by keeping in balance on the centre of the ski, especially on easy angle slopes. The challenge is on anything steeper and when you are carrying a heavy pack. Probably a better option these days though is to climb in some light ski mountaineering boots. Some of the recent Dynafit models look great for this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...