UKC

Ama Dablam SW ridge - video.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark123 08 Dec 2013
youtube.com/watch?v=tlixTfy_JMk&

I had an excellent time on Ama Dablam last month, and thanks to a superbly organised expedition including a highly experienced Sherpa support team, I managed to summit Ama, via the SW ridge. Summit day started at Camp 2 because snow conditions meant a higher camp was unsafe. For those interested, here's my 6 minute long, amateur video of the route. It's such a wonderful mountain and route, and the climb was such a positive experience which I'll never forget..... I do however confess to needing and making full use of all fixed ropes etc.

koolkat 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark123:
nice video and good views , I would have liked to have seen the views for longer instead of fading them so quickly and when you panned around either pan slower or slow it down in the edit again not enough screen time to take it all in , but that's only my worthless opinion .
and well done for getting up it looked like a good trip
Post edited at 13:33
 koolkat 08 Dec 2013
In reply to Mark123:

here is a link to some of mine not climbing , but diving and paragliding feel free to critique , apart from the wobbly diving one you tube put the wobble in

http://www.youtube.com/user/iamkoolkat/videos?flow=grid&view=0
In reply to Mark123:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkk...............great vid. I was there 13 years ago, I probably think about it every day still! Enjoy the memories. Thanks for a great vid and a great trip down memory lane.
In reply to koolkat:

I'd agree with koolkat. Slow the fading on the stills. I would have liked to see more from C2 upwards (the bit I didn't get to do owing to a snow storm on our summit attempt). But well done on getting to the top. I'm very jealous.
OP Mark123 08 Dec 2013
In reply to koolkat:

Thanks for your comments, all very useful. Yes, I fully agree - my panning and use of fading could be so much better. I've still a lot to learn about this new fangled video stuff! I also fully agree with cannichoutdoors and wish I'd filmed more footage between C2 and the summit - but other things took priority. And yes, like nickinscottishmountains I seem to be now thinking about this wonderful climb and mountain every day too.....
Asian Climber 31 Dec 2013
Good video but slightly depressing as I was on the Mountain in late October / early November when conditions were such that the sherpas were unable to fix to the top of the mountain, despite trying three times. We got to Camp 2 and then had to turn round. A week after we left the route finally was fixed. Still a great trip and the video brings back a lot of memories. Am thinking of trying again in 2015.

OP Mark123 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Asian Climber:

Thanks. That's bad luck - but well done for reaching Camp 2 in what must have been extra challenging conditions especially on and near the Yellow Tower. I heard that no-one summited Ama Dablam because of the snow until mid-November (15th?). My summit day was 24th November and I was very lucky with snow and weather conditions. Good luck with your 2nd attempt - you deserve the summit!
Asian Climber 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Mark123:

Yes conditions were tough. Even the walk in to ABC, which is usually on rock was a snow and ice trudge which took much more effort than in previous years.

I have to say though that even though we didn't summit, the climb between camps 1 and 2 was probably the most enjoyable and stunning that I have ever experienced.
abseil 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Mark123:

Great video, really enjoyed it, and congratulations. Tough-looking climb. (Same comments as others made for improvements, though I think everyone who films wishes they'd filmed more near the summit, easier said than done).
OP Mark123 01 Jan 2014
In reply to abseil:

Thanks Abseil, I’m pleased you enjoyed it – Cheers! I think you’re right that I’m probably not the only one who wishes they took more film or photographs on tricky sections near summits etc. It makes me respect even more top mountaineers like Bonnington, Scott, Messner, Burke etc who somehow managed to climb much more difficult and new routes on far higher mountains and yet still managed to get outstanding footage and photos. In my case I was on a mountain at the top end of my limited ability, and so I was very focused on getting up and down safely, and not on my camera. I also think Asian Climber is right - the climb between camps 1 and 2 is the best I’ve ever done too. The Mushroom Ridge later was outstanding too, but no-where near as tricky as the Yellow Tower just before Camp 2. Ahh - Happy memories in the long wait for good winter conditions!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...