UKC

Carrying DSLR up the hill .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SethChili 19 Jan 2014
I currently have a pentax k200d and 18-55mm kit lens .
I want to be able to use it on my hill and mountain walking trips. Previously I have used a small compact which is not as versatile . Currently I carry it in a messenger/shoulder bag when ambling around towns and nature reserves , but this is not suitable for extended use in mountain areas .
I don't want to convert to a full camera backpack , I need a case which will fit in on top of the rest of my walking kit .
Any recommendations ?
In reply to SethChili:
I use a Lowepro zoom toploader which keeps my camera protected and accessible but is compact enough to shove in my pack if things get a bit too wet!

I carry my filters in a small dry bag but the LA Zoom has pockets for remote release and spare batteries/cards etc.

There's probably better products out there but it does me and I'm happy with it.
Post edited at 21:22
In reply to SethChili:

I use a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 v2.0, alongside the Think Tank chest harness. I currently carry a Canon 500D with a Sigma 18-250mm mounted. As it's inherently extendable, when I had an 18-55mm I was able to fit a 70-300mm and cleaning equipment in there also. Tis pretty much bombproof, you can see pics and a brief write-up if you scroll down at the following link:

http://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/gear-pt-ii-thoughts-on-my-hardw...
 Fraser 20 Jan 2014
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

That's a pretty neat-looking bit of kit. Also the site's nice and informative, is it yours?
In reply to Fraser:

It is indeed. As I mention in the post, the only downside for me is that while being super-convenient and robust, it can enhance sweatiness through restrictions to venting when working hard. Once you figure out how to open pit zips etc whilst being strapped in it's not too bad.

The blog? Yeah it's mine, thanks!
 Nadir khan 20 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

i carry my 5D in a Lowepro top loader AW50 , over my shoulder and clipped to my climbing harness to keep it out of the way . its mostly fine except if I'm climbing a tight chimney in which case its a pain. the AW50 takes a 17-40 zoom fine but its tight with the 24-70 so depends on which lens you think you'd be using mostly when you're out and about .
 Hannes 20 Jan 2014

> I use a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 v2.0, alongside the Think Tank chest harness. I currently carry a Canon 500D with a Sigma 18-250mm mounted. As it's inherently extendable, when I had an 18-55mm I was able to fit a 70-300mm and cleaning equipment in there also. Tis pretty much bombproof, you can see pics and a brief write-up if you scroll down at the following link:

Interesting, especially now that I see they make a case big enough for my 1D with a lens on.
 Kai 20 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

I favor a stretchy neoprene cover. Provides protection with low bulk and weight.

http://optechusa.com/pouches.html

mr rob 20 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

Waterproof roll top bag with a wooly hat for padding

Light, cheap and you have a spare hat
In reply to Hannes:

Indeed, they have 4/5 different sizes if I remember correctly?
 Alan Breck 21 Jan 2014
In reply to Kai:

That's a bummer as I can only find their straps in the UK. No covers & Optech don't post to the UK.

Liked some of the other offerings detailed above but a bit bulky. Back to see if I can use any of my CCS stuff.
 The New NickB 21 Jan 2014

You certainly do like lists, as you admit yourself!
In reply to The New NickB:

Ha, ah yes. I should probably split the posts up someday!
 The Potato 21 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

i also use the lowepro TLZ (mini) and the way i use it is by taking the strap off the camera and attaching two smal karabiners to the loops and then on to the loops of the shoulder staps on my rucksack.
I leave the camera neck strap on so I can open the bag and not worry about dropping the camera.
It looks a little odd perhaps but is easily accessible, secure and out of the way of anything bar climbing
 Henry Iddon 21 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:
Not all camera packs are the same - an F-stop Loka with the relevant sized ICU in would cover things of for you - and the pack could be a normal rucksack when you wanted it to be.

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/loka.html#.Ut6dcWT...

Either that or just attach a Navin to the pack you have

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/dakota/mounting-systems/navin.html#.U...
Post edited at 16:18
 The Pylon King 21 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

I use a carrier bag or fishing bag that i got from Aldi
In reply to Henry Iddon:

The Navin looks interesting, but like the Think Tank equivalent that I use, is it not difficult to attach it straight to an 'off-brand', non-compatible pack?
 gordo 21 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

i also use your method but found the camera bounces around as the bottom isnt fixed how did you overcome this.
 climbwhenready 21 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

I have something like a Tamrac Velocity 7x (can't check right now). Goes either beside or in front of me when carrying a small 30l rucksack on my back.

(I mean small; it confusingly doesn't seem to be as big as any other 30l rucksack on the market.)
 The Potato 21 Jan 2014
In reply to gordo:

i dont have any bouncing around problems sorry cant help
 The Potato 21 Jan 2014
In reply to ow arm:

actually no i remember now - i feed the chest strap through the belt loop on the back of the camera bag - thats why it doesnt bounce for me.
 Dan-gerMouse 23 Jan 2014
In reply to Nadir khan:

I also use this system, but with a Canon 6D. It takes a 24-105L (without lens hood attached) and I've added a webbing belt from a pair of trousers and put that through the bottom loops on the camera bag which I clip around my waist. It means that if I'm in a tight space I can slide it round onto my front/side. It doesn't work all that well with a rucksack on though.

I leave the lens caps off and let the UV filter protect the lens element. I also put some accessory biners on the zippers to make them easier to open when wearing gloves.
 radson 28 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:

I use Clik Elite stuff for carrying a D800E while climbing.
http://brad-jackson.info/climbing-with-clik/
In reply to SethChili:

Ortlieb aqua zoom - waterproof, robust and compact. Bit slower access than others and may be designed for bigger lens than yours - but I like it.
SethChili 29 Jan 2014
In reply to fairweatherclimber:

Thanks for the suggestion .
Something waterproof would certainly be good for our soggy climate .

Seth
 The Potato 29 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:
heres one im probably going to get- also waterproof a good idea!
http://www.over-board.co.uk/waterproof-slr-camera-bag.html
Post edited at 19:33
 rockcat 30 Jan 2014
In reply to SethChili:
I use a cheap and simple Hama bag which takes the DSLR and has a zip pocket in the front. I've modified it so that it clips, via 2 accessory carabiners, onto the shoulder straps of my rucksac at the front and hangs about the level of my sternum. That way its accessible and doesn't bounce. The system worked well on a trek to Everest base camp.
Post edited at 15:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...