UKC

NEWS: WARNING: Dangerous Bolts on Welsh Slate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Mar 2014
Mark Reeves Pull Testing Bolts on the Slate, 4 kbLlanberis-based climber Mark Reeves has reported on his blog that many well used bolts on the Slate of North Wales have become dangerously loose.

"I tested some bolts in the wet yesterday and the results were even worse, two pulled at 1kn."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68810

Sl@te Head 26 Mar 2014
In reply to UKC News:

If UKC care for the sensitive access issues surrounding the Dinorwic Slate Quarries they will pull this news item ASAP before First Hydro read it (they do monitor our activities on UKC and the Slate Wicki).

Earlier today the BMC toned down there own news item which is now closer to the truth.

Jack / moderators please respect these delicate access issues and pull this news item before it causes any harm. The situation is under control with Mark doing a good job of testing, checking and replacing...no need to make out that there's a bigger problem this work can carry on quietly no need to broadcast it across the web.

Ian Lloyd-Jones

A concerned local slate activist

In reply to Sl@te Head:

Grough have also been broadcasting it with the headline:

"Climbers are being warned that bolts in north Wales quarries could be dangerous and likely to fail"

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/03/25/north-wales-slate-quarry-climbe...
 TobyA 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> Jack / moderators please respect these delicate access issues and pull this news item before it causes any harm.

I guess someone ripping out a bolt that they didn't know was suspect could also cause plenty of harm. For non-locals can you explain why warning people that they shouldn't trust bolts is an access issue? I'm not sure how you balance access against the risk of someone getting hurt or worse?
In reply to TobyA:

I beleive first hydro have been informed from what I gathered at the BMC meet last night and they are aware people are rectifying the issue.
 TobyA 26 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Excellent. From Mark's blog as well it's clear he's put in a huge effort to check loads as well, along with other people helping with the rebolting.
 Chris Parkin 27 Mar 2014
In reply to UKC News:

In the immediate short term there is no reason for any one to panic regarding these bolts as the ones in question are on the slabby routes and the climbers loading is in shear rather than the axial (direct pull out) that the hydrologic tester that I provided and trained Mark to use. 5kn is still like a half ton load so in shear failure will not occur - if any are more worn as a couple have been found to be, you would need to clip direct to one with a QD and hang high on them pulling them directly out of the hole!
Luckily gravity means that any fall, lowering off or even top roping will not produce an outward pull. Long term the issue could affect bolts on steeper routes if a bolt or bolts were constantly dogged on, fell on or loads and loads of top roping as on steeper routes the chance of some direct pull out is higher. Remember the bolts in question are on easier routes getting hundreds of ascents each month or even per week. Mark witnessed over 20 ascents of one route while he spent 3 hrs checking adjacent belays. Long term all expansion bolts on slate may develop problems so the need for all to recognise that replacements with resin bolts (glue-ins) is needed. The North Wales Bolt Fund will attempt to facilitate the training, equipment provision and all materials for volunteers doing this work. The NWBF has various financial supporters including BMC Beacon, Indi, ROCKFAX, v12/ groundup as well as generous individuals but this effort is massive and costs mega bucks aswell as both time and effort. The bolt fund desperately need more cash and active volunteers to get involved.. Support the Bolt fund - via paypal using northwalesboltfund@googlemail.com or find it via BMC, UKC, V12
Removed User 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Parkin:

How old are the bolts in question?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...