UKC

NEWS: MINI INTERVIEW: MaDMAn 2nd Ascent for Nige Kershaw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Apr 2014
Neil Kershaw on Clock People, E6 Millstone, 4 kbAt the beginning of April, Sheffield dark horse, Neil 'Nige' Kershaw made the 2nd ascent of MaDMAn, E8 6b, at Wimberry.

Nige added a direct finish containing yet more 6b climbing, though fortunately was protected by a runner in Trident...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68872
 Michael Gordon 24 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Could someone explain the idea behind the MaDMAn spelling?
In reply to Michael Gordon:

MDMA's the chemical formula for some dance drug. Is it Ecstasy, maybe?

jcm
Removed User 24 Apr 2014

Are you a bit wet behind the ears sunshine?!

Actually, it's not the chemical formula at all, is it? A popular acronym for the scientific name of the substance, more like.

jcm
 Mike_Hayes 24 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Lad!
Mike
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Thanks
In reply to Removed User:

Hmmm, hard drugs don't really appeal to me. If that sort of thing floats your boat, then fair enough
 Toerag 24 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting how the grade could change without a second ascent eh? Grade creep anyone?
 Chris the Tall 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Toerag:

Maybe several people had tried it and felt it was harder than they expected. Or TR-ed it and come to a conclusion about the grade that way.
 TimB 24 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I suspect it's more that people took one look at the photo of the first ascent and metaphorically ran away

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Krv68Ki8eRw/Uz0nmPFlZnI/AAAAAAAABHI/nxuE3vmya6c/s...

In reply to TimB:

Is that NK's sloping ledge, so that he's basically done it and just needs to dive into Trident, or does that come higher up?

jcm
 Andy Reeve 24 Apr 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

That's right john, that's the slopey ledge. Although its still a tricky couple of moves into strident, or a bit of a gripped placing the gear as Nige explained in the text.
 Mutl3y 24 Apr 2014
In reply to TimB:

I love that picture. The facial expression is unforgettable.

Well done Neil Nige on getting it done. A crying shame the footage isn't a tad better but I guess that's your quiet unsponsored style. Totally respectworthy.
 simes303 25 Apr 2014

Ecstasy is definitely not a hard drug!
 simes303 25 Apr 2014
In reply to TimB:

That's a brilliant picture!
 Michael Gordon 25 Apr 2014
In reply to simes303:

If you can die from it then to me it's bad news. As I say, if you don't mind that sort of thing then fill your boots
 Franco Cookson 25 Apr 2014

Might pop to the pub tonight for a few pints of hard drugs.
 Offwidth 25 Apr 2014
In reply to simes303:

It is classed A and as such irrespective of your view it most certainly is, irrespective of how many would view the classification as ridiculous
 Andy Moles 25 Apr 2014

Paracetamol?
 simes303 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

What a load of rubbish.

Back on topic, it's brilliant to hear of the second ascent after such a long time.

I'm off to a techno party in a bit. x
 Michael Gordon 25 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Quite right.
Removed User 25 Apr 2014

hmmmm
 Offwidth 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Just to be clear I think the drug should never be Class A (and am generally for legalising and controlling all currently classified drugs) but it is and because of that the consequencies of being caught selling it could wreck a life (and it technically criminalises more than a quarter of our population). Also the criminals selling it can put all sorts of other shit in it other than the MDMA.
Removed User 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes I figured you had been misread by the above.
 Michael Gordon 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Really a 1/4 of the population?
 Offwidth 28 Apr 2014

I'd say thats an underestimate if anything of the young people who use it and for the drug in question that would run from the 90s dance scene. From being at Uni in the early 80s it was not uncommon for me to be the only person in a party who hadn't popped pills or smoked dope (unless you count passive smoking). My drug of choice was always booze and as drugs go it does way more damage than some class A drugs.
 Michael Gordon 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

So there's no actual evidence for your 25% figure? Sounds way over the top to me.

The difference between alcohol and many other drugs is that it causes no damage in small doses, and to most people is not addictive.
 Offwidth 28 Apr 2014

For example the official stats:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/drug-use-age-popular-c...

My honest view is that official stats must be seriously underestimating rare use (once only, a few times only, used modreately for a short period etc). Most of my friends always said they never used drugs if asked, as the risk of consequencies were high. Its also terrible politics to admit the scope of the problem as it shows the war on drugs just doesn't work and the population tolerates uncontrolled substances and the criminal gangs usually behind them, becuase the government won't do something more sensible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...