UKC

NEW REVIEW: Mammut Realization Pant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 16 May 2014
Excellent freedom of movement., 5 kb

Mammut have taken harness development in a new direction by integrating a top of the range harness with a pair of rock climbing specific trousers.

Duncan Campbell tests them out to find out exactly how it feels to tie in to your trousers...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6325
 jezb1 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I think I'm too vain for these, the whole Simon Cowell high waisted trouser with t shirt tucked in is not for me. Plus, they are two hundred pounds...
 Shapeshifter 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Anyway me and the other product development boys had been down the pub on Friday lunch and what a session we had. But we had to get back for this brain storming thing and what a laugh that was. I mean there's just got to be a market for expensive harness trousers hasn't there...why has nobody spotted such a massive gap in the market?

On the plus side, you can just clip in to the rail at the bar to keep you upright when it's getting near closing time.
 jon 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Obviously cashing in on the runaway suucess of the shorts version. I've lost count of the number of climbers I've seen wearing those. And a snip at £200.
 StuMsg 16 May 2014
finally! a solution to the problem I never had and I get to look like I have my fly open all the time too, and at £200 it's win, win, win all round
 flaneur 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Haven’t Mammut been trying to flog these for a couple of years? I'm guessing there is a large pile in a warehouse somewhere. You don't even see them at The Castle, epicentre of climbing-as-lifestyle-accessory for the more money than sense. One more push via a UKC advertorial before they hit the bargain bins?

There is not enough climbing fiction on UKC, so well done to Duncan Campbell for addressing this gap.
 Mike Highbury 16 May 2014
In reply to StuMsg:

> finally! a solution to the problem I never had and I get to look like I have my fly open all the time too, and at £200 it's win, win, win all round

At 21y-o you're a bit young for that look.
 Robert Durran 16 May 2014
In reply to jon:

> Obviously cashing in on the runaway suucess of the shorts version. I've lost count of the number of climbers I've seen wearing those. And a snip at £200.

Absolutely hilarious! And now I'll need to buy the shorts version at £200 too for when it is hot and so carry two harnesses on the plane.
 drolex 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

And how clever! I trash a harness in 5 years, trousers in 1 year, guess I will have to change the whole system every year then. If we could add shoes to the combo, I could finally fulfill my dream of spending £300 every 6 months
 3 Names 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Has anyone ever seen anyone wearing these? They just seem so utterly pointless.
 jon 16 May 2014
In reply to jon:

> I've lost count of the number of climbers I've seen wearing those.

Well, bugger me, that's a coincidence: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68930
 sbc_10 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

After a session at the crag, you can have a session at t'boozer and attach yourself to the bar.
 cha1n 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

You'd think these big companies would have some idea of what climbers want... I can't think of ANY single climbing related item that I've ever paid £200 for.

Plus, they just look wrong. Fail on many levels.
 annakyn 16 May 2014
In reply to cha1n:

> You'd think these big companies would have some idea of what climbers want...

Have you been to Italy?!

owain86 16 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Seems like anti-progression to me? If everyone had always climbed in those 'harness trousers' and then a company brought out a harness that could be used with any trousers, shorts, didn't need to be replaced when you got holes in your trousers, could be removed after a climb without taking your trousers off, etc then I'd think, wow, what a great idea. But we already have that type of harness, so I don't see the appeal at all? Also, I guess you'd have to be careful how you washed the trousers too?
 andrewmc 17 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

I can kind of see the appeal of the shorts for DWS with abseil approach? Plus the (limited) 'cool' factor, and scaring climbing centre staff when you tie into your shorts :P

But other than that, probably not that fantastic.
 mikeski 18 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

If you give everything a good review your reviews become worthless.
 Doghouse 20 May 2014
In reply to mikeski:

> If you give everything a good review your reviews become worthless.

Have you seen all the postives! how can you resist not rushing out to buy a pair when the deliver all this... .

"When you add these two good things together you do get a number of advantages:

- Once you arrive at the crag you are ready to go whilst everyone faffs around putting their harness on, you are all ready to go.

- If you are travelling light on a budget airline you can wear the Realization Pant on the plane and save hold luggage for other essentials.

- In order to see your chalk bag and gear loops you have to tuck your top into your trousers which on cold days means you don't get that annoying cold patch where your t-shirt rides up.

- There is no metal parts to corrode, making them perfect for DWS where you have to abseil into the base of the climb.

- The Realization pants are really nice to climb in, giving a great freedom of movement"

FFS!! :-/
 Tom F Harding 21 May 2014
In reply to mikeski:

> If you give everything a good review your reviews become worthless.

You generally don't get real reviews on UKC, just adverts in disguise....
 FreshSlate 21 May 2014
In reply to Doghouse:

That got me.. the having to tuck your t-shirt in is listed as an advantage
 TobyA 21 May 2014
In reply to The_flying_climber:

I was tempted to just mutter "eff off" under my breath and move on - but I'll bite; so go on - please pick one of my reviews and tell me why it is not a real review but really just an advert in disguise.

The last thing I reviewed I said that I can't see how it would work for any climber in the UK - I suspect the manufacturer won't use that as a quote on the adverts. Then just after submitting the review I broke a component on that product - I took photos of the broken part and wrote an update about it on my blog which I then linked to the thread attached to review here on UKC. So what else do think I should do for it to be a real review?
 Jim Walton 21 May 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Perhaps Bear Grylls could use them on his next jaunt. Make it look like he's not wearing a harness on camera when really he is, but who would know as the harness is hidden in his pants...
 Marco Plebani 21 May 2014
In reply to annakyn:

> Have you been to Italy?!

What do you mean?
 FreshSlate 23 May 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> I was tempted to just mutter "eff off" under my breath and move on - but I'll bite; so go on - please pick one of my reviews and tell me why it is not a real review but really just an advert in disguise.

> The last thing I reviewed I said that I can't see how it would work for any climber in the UK - I suspect the manufacturer won't use that as a quote on the adverts. Then just after submitting the review I broke a component on that product - I took photos of the broken part and wrote an update about it on my blog which I then linked to the thread attached to review here on UKC. So what else do think I should do for it to be a real review?

That review was very good, as are most of your reviews I have seen. I think reviews are generally soft and uncritical here though. But the labling of Manufacturer releases as reviews doesn't help matters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...