UKC

Via Ferrata Costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jwhepper 16 May 2014
Not sure what category this question would fall in but here goes anyway...

I've been looking at via ferrata routes around the alps for a few years now, often noticing them while climbing and walking, and I've never understood if they are owned by anyone in particular or whether you have to pay to use them?

Presumably someone maintains them and backs the costs of that so I'd assume you'd have to pay. But then again, if I bought a ~£100 via ferrata sling set and used my own harness and helmet, could I not just have a go at one?

The honister slate mine via ferrata seems very commercial, not sure how happy they'd be about me rocking up and jumping on in front of a tourist group!

Cheers for any help!
In reply to jwhepper:

A lot on the continent are free, just rock up with the kit and crack on. I presume they are established and maintained by local business or local government as a way to attract tourists similar to maintaining paths in the coutryside
 yorkshireman 16 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

There's one at the bottom of my garden here in the French Alps and its completely free.

Its maintained by the local commune, so I'm probably helping maintain it through my taxes - its seen as an added attraction for tourists who will potentially use the local campsite, restaurants, hotels, hire the kit locally etc. I think restricting access and charging would be more problematic and costly (its a roadside crag).

> The honister slate mine via ferrata seems very commercial, not sure how happy they'd be about me rocking up and jumping on in front of a tourist group!

I think the issue is that my local VF (and many others) isn't on private property
 Jenny C 16 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

As said above my experience in Italy was that they are free to use if you have your own gear and the knowledge to find/use them (plus there were local providers offering guided days out) - great tourist attraction funded by the local community and/or climbing clubs.

The Honister Slate mine is in contrast just a high ropes course (through a SSSI) which you are only allowed to use if you pay for a guided trip. Fair enough as the company has paid for the infrastructure and it's on private land, but at the same time a bit **** given that there are access rights through CROW.
OP jwhepper 16 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

Cheers guys, I'll avoid the lake district one then! Sounds like the alps are my best bet, I have a feeling I know where I'll be going next summer...
In reply to jwhepper:

You could always try fife...

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/the-chain-walk.asp
 richjm 16 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

Hi, I would highly recommend getting yourself over to the Dolomites, Italy. There are routes there for all abilities and like you say, as long as you've got the kit and a bit of common sense in the mountains you can turn up and get going. Have a great trip.
 RikGordon 16 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

I've spent two summers in the Ecrins with my son primarily for some low level sports climbing but also for hiking and VF.

We based ourselves in a small hamlet called Les Vigneaux which has a great VF 10 mins from the door, within 30 mins drive is also the Aiguillette de Lauzet which is a great half day out. There is one commercial VF just outside Les Vigneaux, it wasn't particularly expensive and was very cool.

Hope that helps.
 rousse 16 May 2014
In reply to RikGordon:

We went last September and there was no-one there to collect money - I presume they charge during the main tourist season only? Great VF though, as were the other couple we did.
Jim C 16 May 2014
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> You could always try fife...

Or better Glencoe

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nOYx-vQzSRA&autoplay=1
Fonty 16 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:
Many of the French via ferratas are free to use, but some charge a fee and others require you to hire their equipment. There's some info about charges on this website: http://www.viaferrata-fr.net/cartefrance.php ("Carte de France" links through to info about individual routes, including price).

In my experience, the via ferratas in Italy are free to use.
Post edited at 16:36
redsonja 18 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

all the ones I have done, mainly in Bavaria and Austria have been free. Just the cost of a cable car to the start of 1 or 2. but really well worth it
In reply to jwhepper: As others have said, most in the Alps are free but some are commercial.

Just a word of warning. Think twice before attempting to use any of the commercial ones 'illegally' without paying. Some of the modern ones are a lot more involved than traditional via ferrata with elements like zip-wires.

A group of Bangor Uni students decided to attempt the commercial one between Saas Fee and Saas Grund without a Guide in 2010 and very sadly one of them died - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-10934343
 MaranaF 26 May 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

Here in Briancon we have access to around a dozen VF,s. 2 are in walking distance and all the rest 20 mins to half hour away.

The local tourist info office has a free guide book showing all the routes in the area. Or find me and I have a few copies.

Only one route charges, the Durance Gorges, about €5 per person but they only man the Caisse normal working hours and busy days so arrive at 5 on a Wednesday and you climb for free.

All the other routes are built and maintained by contributions from the local communes, they are supplied free, just stop and buy a coffee on the way out and you have paid for your climb.

This is my favorite. http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=200924

Regarding the Dolomites, they have great VF's but be prepared for some very long walkins to get to the routes.

Hope that helps.

Stephen
 DaCat 29 May 2014
In reply to RikGordon:

Waves to RikGordon... We live just up the road from Les Vigneaux and we did that VF in the early spring. We ended up walking out onto a good metre of snow (we had taken rackets) and we saw lots of wolf evidence.

The one just down the road is in L'Argentière-la-Bessée and are only charging through the tourist season (they have just put an infant route up) but if you go after 5pm they have shut shop and gone home. The Germans are always stood around the closed shop asking, "who do we give our harnesses back to?" and the English walk away quickly because they just got themselves a free harness.

The VF's are paid for through our taxes. The only reason L'Argentière charges is, the area they stapled was leased to them by the French authorities.

The reason to come to the Ecrins area is, unlike most VF's in Italy, you don't have to walk for hours to reach one. Most of the time you can park your car and walk a hundred yards to the base. Another reason is, the Ecrins is very warm and dry from June through to October and has the most spectacular scenery you could ever wish to see.
eptommi 20 Jun 2014
In reply to jwhepper:

Ive just got back from the Dolomites, all free there and fantastic routes for all abilities. Theres a particular one called "gran cir" which is a very easy 1A i believe, 2 1/2 hour to both up and back down and then theres another right next to it "Cir Spitz" thats a 3A
 DaCat 04 Jul 2014

Strange but I'm sure I replied to this topic already.

VF's in the French Alps are paid for by the community. You get the odd one where you have to pay a few Euros and they are privately leased land but its unusual to find a little man in a shed collecting money. Most just have a sign up advising you of the right equipment to use.

They are thoroughly maintained and so no worries on that score. Us local tax payers pay for that

Why would you pay £100 for a VF sling??? £50 should buy you a perfectly adequate one or better still, go to one of the sportive and hire one for a week for very little.

One tip would be, wear a helmet. VF's are about the only outdoor summer sport where you will be frowned on if your found not wearing one.

Edited to add, I've done many VF's in the Dolomites but find them very easy compared to the southern French Alps. In France you get Green (very easy and fine for children) Red (lower routes but with a few heart jerking moments to see if your ready for the next step up) Black (Usually very exposed. Often large sections of staples missing so you have to trust the rock. Certainly not for the faint hearted)
Post edited at 14:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...