UKC

NEWS: 8c First Ascent in Australia for Robbie Phillips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Jun 2014
Robbie Phillips making the crux V10 traverse on the first ascent of Haggisaurus Rex, 8c, Coolum Cave, 4 kbScottish climber Robbie Phillips has just returned from an extended trip to Australia this Spring.

Highlights include the first ascent of Haggisaurus Rex, 33/8c, at Coolum Cave and a repeat of Tigercat, 33/8c, in the Blue Mountains and Mt Arapiles classics such as Punks in the Gym, 32/8b+, and Lord of The Rings, 31/8b...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68964
 mr_nsglover 05 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Were there any cool birds in the Coolum Cave, that's what I really want to know.
 Wft 05 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Now that is some mental looking rock formation, wow.
 Tophe 06 Jun 2014
I just checked out a topo to this crag, the climb looks amazing! Definitely a gem of a first ascent and the best name of the crag too. Nice work Robbie!
 balnakiel 06 Jun 2014
In reply to GuyVG:

Yeah I am occasionally prone to delusions that top graded routes look quite do-able. Not this one though - that looks hideously hard! Well done.
In reply to Tophe:

Thanks Guys! It wasn't easy for me :P Definitely the best feeling I've had in climbing managing this First Ascent! What a great thing to do at any grade Just to be the first to climb a bit of rock hahaha Thank God Lizards don't count, I bet there about 3billion ascents of "Haggisaurus Rex" already
Removed User 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Robbie_Phillips:

Well done Robbie! Great to have some visitors putting up some new hard routes! Hopefully we looked after you enough for you to come back.
 cb_6 07 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Robbie. How many 8c routes is this now? Any plans for 8c+ or will you continue to consolidate this grade?
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one, Robbie! Looks nails.
 chris fox 07 Jun 2014

Well done, Coolum cave is a special place, superb rock and takes no prisoners.

Did you get on Evil wears no pants ? I shot my mate on that back in 2008 did you bump into Cujes or JJ, they basically live there !!
 koalapie 07 Jun 2014
In reply to chris fox:

Apparently it's the second largest monolith in Australia. After a few days rain; it forms multiple waterfalls over the east face. The south west aspect is dark, whereas facing west north west it looks no more than rolling hills. It grows a fern that is reported to grow in no other place on earth! Magical place.
In reply to chris fox:

Hey Chris, yeah I did meet JJ and Lee I have known Lee for years and it was pretty much his inspiring chat that convinced me to go to Coolum! I have been waiting years to visit that cave just from the stories hew told me. JJ was amazing! What a guy, so friendly and enthusiastic about Coolum, it's this I think that makes the place such a nice inviting crag to visit.

And yeah I did do Evil Wears no Pants. Did it on my first day at the crag - such an incredible route! I had some really warped idea that I would try and onsight it... OH MY GOD! It's so hard to onsight at Coolum! I did it 2nd go after figuring out the beta on my very bad onsight attempt haha
In reply to cb_6:

Thanks I am always striving to push myself but for me it's not solely about the grade... More just getting to climb lots of routes that challenge me. I would like to climb harder grades for sure though and I think 8c+ is certainly on the horizon. I am off to Dolomites soon for something completely different... Multipitch adventures and an attempt at Bellavista. Then October time is Rodellar!!! My hope is that I can go there and climb a lot of routes that I never got to try when I was last there (5 or 6 years ago) because I simply wasn't good enough. That might mean 8c+? or possibly just trying to climb a lot of fun challenging routes We will see...
In reply to Removed UserRawPowa!:

Australians so far are the friendliest bunch I have ever met You guys looked after me well enough and I am gonna be back SOON!!!
 Morgan Woods 07 Jun 2014

> That might mean 8c+?

I tend to climb a grade or two harder on euro limestone compared to out here so why not :p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...