UKC

Carn Gowla - Worth a trip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joel Perkin 25 Jul 2014
Hi Guys,

Trying to think of a new place to go climbing and think I fancy Carn Gowla. Trouble is my climbing buddy is less keen. Any advice for area's that are brilliant, adventurous but not stupid. Routes between around VS - E1. We usually love the adventure but have only heard negative things!!

Any advice welcome!

Cheers,
Joel
 Iain Peters 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Definitely Joel. Loads of stuff in that grade range. Any or all of Journey To Ixtlan, A Sackful of Clowns, Supernatural, Deceleration Lane, Crystal Voyage, and Alex of Gowla won't disappoint.
 Jon Stewart 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Can't really offer advice for VS-E1, only done a couple of the harder routes Mercury and America. They were amazing, but totally mental. The classic HVS is the traverse Journey to Ixtlan, which gets done quite a lot. But I would expect it to be fairly stupid!

Most of the other routes don't get much traffic. I would go with someone who's really up for it - it's the craziest cliff I've ever been on, and I've done a fair bit of Gogarth South nonsense like Mousetrap etc. Gowla is South Stack's bigger, badder brother.
 PaulTanton 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I agree. It's like Red Wall with Mousetrap Zawn in the middle. Done a couple of things there. You will certainly get your money's worth. Did The Tomb expecting steady E2 5b. It's now E4 5c.
But don't let us put you off. Just make sure your first route is well within your grade capabilities. You will then be able to gauge the place.
It's well worth it. Crags like Carn Gowla create great memorable days.
Good luck
 Mark Kemball 25 Jul 2014
In reply to Joel Perkin:

If you're not trolling, talk to Gareth Palmer (4 Peaks, Face Book). He's writing the guide, discovering loads of new routes (some of them at quite reasonable grades) and keen introduce folks to the crag.
 Stone Idle 26 Jul 2014
In reply to Joel Perkin:

Journey to Ixtlan is great so long as all members of the party feel confident. Couple of nice E1 at Indian Buttress. Worth taking prussik gear just in case
 aostaman 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Joel Perkin: yep, Palmer and Four Points are what you need. If you get to the Coastguard Hut at 1700 on Wednesday that's Four Points Gowla night. I'll be there. I haven't done Sackful this year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...