UKC

NEWS: Crowd-funded Sport Climbing in South Wales & 8c FA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Sep 2014
Rob Lamey on Vennerne, 7c+, ShipWreck Cove, 4 kbAdrian Berry has recently succeeded in crowd-funding the money needed to equip a number of mid to low grade sport routes on the Gower.

During this period, Ben West gave the area it's first 8c; Helvitia at Shipwreck Cove...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69165
 steveriley 10 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Good story, Pay Per Clip eh?
 JM 10 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

This is a fantastic initiative and it is great that so much work has been put into bolting easier climbs as well as the harder climbs. This made it a great venue for my girlfriend and I when we visited Gower this weekend. I did the 7c+ (pictured) which I thought was one of the best of its grade in the UK and my girlfriend climbed one of the easier climbs around the corner (a little "organic" at the moment!) and did her fist 6a+ in Shipwreck Cove itself. Great venue and idyllic location, I can't wait to get back and try some of the harder lines!
 The Pylon King 10 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Shouldn't it be 'in Gower' like 'in Pembroke'?
 Jack Geldard 10 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Looks great - fantastic job everyone involved. Can't wait to get down there myself!

Jack
 The Ivanator 10 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Got on some of the easier lines on Mermaid Wall last weekend, quality climbing off the golden sands of Rhosilli. Got slightly caught out by the tide, which led to an entertaining wade out!
Lines we did were great, will be even better if traffic clears a few of the mussels and barnacles off the first few metres. Great work all involved in the bolting and strongly advise climbers of all abilities to get along and sample the routes, quality climbs from F4 to F8c!
 andrewmc 10 Sep 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:
'in Gower' just sounds wrong, I have never heard anyone not put the 'the' in front - probably partly because it is short for 'the Gower peninsula', and partly just because everyone does
Post edited at 20:32
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 Sep 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> 'in Gower' just sounds wrong, I have never heard anyone not put the 'the' in front - probably partly because it is short for 'the Gower peninsula', and partly just because everyone does

At least no-one has started calling it The Gowers yet - only a matter of time I guess!

Chris
 andrewmc 10 Sep 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:
I went down last June/July sometime and got a few of the routes done, thanks for the bolting (donation to the appropriate fund also made for my group).

I have to say the comments on the UKC page, and elsewhere, about 'project thieves' are a bit off-putting though. I did one of the 'stolen' routes - fortunately about 2 months after it had first been climbed. It seems the routes weren't marked with tape/padlocks etc(?), so if I had come a few months earlier I might have been that person. I also wouldn't expect a 6a+ to be a 'project' - to be honest I would be surprised if anyone bolting routes couldn't onsight anything I would even think of climbing. I understand that you might bolt it one day and have to wait for a dry day to climb it, but a little bit of tape would last a few days...

Or maybe I am wrong in my reading of the UKC/SWMC pages and there was some indication it was a project at the crag (in which case the perpetrators should atone for their sins!). I just don't think it is reasonable, for easy routes, to always have the latest online printout and never climb anything that is not in it! Perhaps the comment about it on the UKC crag page could be removed/tidied up - it is very aggressive at the moment.

PS this isn't really supposed to sound as negative as it does! Mermaid Wall wasn't (or rather the bolts weren't) there when I was, but looks awesome for a future trip
Post edited at 21:28
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Fair point Andrew, ill look at the page

a few people got involved with the equipping and put in a huge amount of work with out time to climb there creations,

unfortunately these routes were climbed before the equipper's returned.

They were also ticked on UKC which had them clearly marked as Closed Projects so was a bit naughty. Anyway all is good and the crag is amazing with climbs for all grades thanks to the enormous generosity of the climbing public.

From a Gower local, thank you to all who donated and made this possible
 Adrian Berry Global Crag Moderator 16 Sep 2014
The correct term for Gower is just that, it is not correctly referred to as The Gower unless you are referring to the Gower peninsular. Just to tidy that up!

As for projecs, if something has a name, it's all good, if not, stay off as it's probably loose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...