UKC

Lets go climbing by Colin Kirkus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 22 Sep 2014
I was re reading the first chapter in a hut (second edition) the other day and have just ordered a copy. For me it is what climbing is about. His comments about people not appreciating scenery and just climbing for the thrill ring so true to me. I would highly recommend it to anyone taking up climbing.
 The Pylon King 22 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

'Tis a great book.

He is one of my heroes.
 AlanLittle 22 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

> For me it is what climbing is about. His comments about people not appreciating scenery and just climbing for the thrill ring so true to me.

A counterpoint to that, from an equally great climber, is Ben Moon's comment along the lines of "if I wanted to look at nice scenery I could just go walking".

Do you think all climbers should have the same interests, motivations and priorities? Why?

J1234 22 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

>

> Do you think all climbers should have the same interests, motivations and priorities?

No.

AlanLittle 22 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Totally agree with hero worship of Kirkus btw.

Cycle from Merseyside to Snowdonia, put up an excellent cutting edge new route or two, cycle home. Repeat next weekend.
 Rampikino 22 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Totally agree with hero worship of Kirkus btw.

> Cycle from Merseyside to Snowdonia, put up an excellent cutting edge new route or two, cycle home. Repeat next weekend.

This
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

Gets my respect just for climbing at Helsby.
 ByEek 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I climbed at Wilderness Rocks in the Chew once. Do I get similar respect?
 alan moore 22 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:
I learnt to climb using this book.
It was the mid 1980's so must have been quite outdated but the basics held true.
Am half way through re-reading Steve Deans biography; it's an incredible story but am not looking forward to the grim end....
 Duncan Bourne 23 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Do you think all climbers should have the same interests, motivations and priorities? Why?

Well no. All people are different and do things for different reasons. I would say that Kirkus's comment is a generalisation that the climbing experience should be broad (ie including looking at the scenery) rather than narrowly focused, although I guess even Kirkus would argue that when you are actually climbing you are focused on the climb in front of you. Only natural
 AlanLittle 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

It's that "should" I object to. I've had a great time looking at alpine sunsets and I've had a great time working hard on boulder problems in dusty climbing walls. If somebody else only enjoys one of those things that's not my problem. Or theirs. Or a problem at all.
J1234 23 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

> "should"

The only person to have said "should" is you, certainly in the OP the word should does not appear. You have taken your own issues and prejudices about being told what to do and tried to foist it into this conversation.
 AlanLittle 23 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Bollocks.

> I would say that Kirkus's comment is a generalisation that the climbing experience should be broad (ie including looking at the scenery) rather than narrowly focused
J1234 23 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

I am looking at my unedited OP which you initially responded to and do not recognise that quote!
 John Alcock 23 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

One of my favourite books. He captures the spirit of adventure climbing so well. I love the idea of just suddenly deciding to scale Snowdon by moonlight in winter for example.
In reply to AlanLittle:

You are welcome to change it to something else if it offends
 Bruce Hooker 23 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

You said:

> I was re reading the first chapter in a hut (second edition) the other day and have just ordered a copy. For me it is what climbing is about. His comments about people not appreciating scenery and just climbing for the thrill ring so true to me. I would highly recommend it to anyone taking up climbing.

I can't see any "should" either. I think you are being done with what they call a "straw poodle".
In reply to AlanLittle:

I do think we are kind of splitting hairs here
 Timmd 24 Sep 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

> A counterpoint to that, from an equally great climber, is Ben Moon's comment along the lines of "if I wanted to look at nice scenery I could just go walking".

> Do you think all climbers should have the same interests, motivations and priorities? Why?

''For me it is what climbing is about. His comments about people not appreciating scenery and just climbing for the thrill ring so true to me.''

Hint hint.
 Ramblin dave 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> You said:

> I can't see any "should" either. I think you are being done with what they call a "straw poodle".

This conversation would probably be a lot easier if more of us actually knew what these "comments about people not appreciating scenery and just climbing for the thrill" that "ring so true" to the original poster actually were.

From the subsequent discussion, I'm assuming that they must be along the lines of "some people don't appreciate the scenery and just climb for the thrill, and that's great because it shows what a diverse and multi-faceted sport climbing can be."
J1234 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

>

> "straw poodle".

Never heard that phrase before Bruce and google is no help.
Whatever I think Let`s go climbing is a great book and would still reccomend it to anyone getting into climbing or walking for that matter.
 Bruce Hooker 24 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

I was thinking of straw dog, but what I should have been thinking about was straw man, so as there's no link between poodle and man it doesn't make any sense at all. For what it's worth I think Kirkus and his friends had the right attitude... unless I've got him confused with someone else of course, which wouldn't be at all surprising.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...