UKC

Road equivalent of a Salomon Speedcross 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 27 Oct 2014

Probably the daftest question on the running forum to date...

I seem to have found my ideal shoe, doesn't give me blisters on the ball of my foot, doesn't give me problems with Achilles and hamstrings and doesn't hurt my corns...

Only problem is it's my trail shoe, which has now become my trainer of choice on the road for the above reasons. Obviously it doesn't do the tread any good, and is a bit slippy on wet roads, so does anyone know of anything with similar fit and 'feel' that is available for use on the roads. The latest versions of the XA are too 'clumpy' IMHO to make a decent running shoe.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Not fussed about the manufacturer, just looking for something with a similar fit, regardless of make.
Post edited at 21:08
 Reach>Talent 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Ridge:
Salomon xa pro (insert latest version number here) may be worth a punt. Similar shape (maybe a tad wider in the toe box) but despite being marketed as a trail shoe are probably much more suited to tarmac bothering.

I should add they aren't as hard wearing as some other brands, they wore down a fair bit quicker than my sauconys but can frequently be had cheaply from go outdoors or cotswold.
Post edited at 21:54
OP Ridge 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Thanks. I liked the older XA models, but the newer ones feel really heavy, (or rather I run like a carthorse, not a gazelle, at the best of times and the XAs make me worse..). Can't help thinking they've beefed them up for fashion reasons.
OP Ridge 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Just seen your edit. I agree about Salomons not been particularly hard wearing, either the soles wear out our the uppers get 'cheese wired' by the fancy lacing. Talking of Saucony, do they make anything like the old Jazz these days?
 wbo 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Ridge: what have you tried and not liked? And why?

Dark-Cloud 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Ridge:

I am like you, the Speedcross fits me well, i use it for fell too and find it fine, i use the sense pro for trail and flatter stuff, have a look at the rather badly named x-scream models, designed to be door to trail so should be fine for road......
OP Ridge 27 Oct 2014
In reply to wbo:

Last pair of road shoes were New Balance 880's, but caused me a few problems with blisters. After using the Speedcross on the road I'm thinking something less cushioned may be the way forward. Tried various Asics models as well, but problems with Achilles getting tight.
Dorq 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Ridge:

I thought the Speedcross were good shoes until I tried La Sportiva Ultra Raptors - fantastic fit for me and the sole is great in anything except mud, which is what the fast-wearing Speedcross seems best suited for. The quick draw cord lacing system works ok in the Speedcross but in other shoes it is a pain in the arse.

There is an 'all terrain' version of the Ultra Raptors, think it's called Wildcat or something, with a harder-wearing outsole and more cushion, which is what I would try for a mostly road shoe. Sizes are different between the aforementioned shoes, however.

Or just wear the ones that fit you best to a running shop and see what road shoe feels similar.
 Reach>Talent 28 Oct 2014
In reply to Ridge:

My Sauconys were the Ride 3 http://www.prodirectrunning.com/Products/Saucony-Mens-ProGrid-Ride-3-Orange... which feel pretty well cushioned and fairly light although I've worn so much off the soles that I may be misremembering things

Currently running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS14 which are heavier and stiffer but seem to be surviving well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...