UKC

mobile ukc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris74 09 Nov 2014
I access ukc on my mobile 99% of the time. I am aware that the new website software recognises that I am using an android handset when I login. Is there anyway I can choose to use the 'desktop' ukc format from my handset? I prefered to view the full hompage in its entirety and expand. The logbook section does not display properly either.
 jimjimjim 09 Nov 2014
In reply to chris74:
Yeah can't say I like it too much either. When you look at the forum topics you can't see who's started the thread...I used to be able to avoid inadvertently clicking on hannah s' ramblings, not now....
 Neil Williams 09 Nov 2014
In reply to chris74:

Chrome on Android has a "request desktop site" option in the menu. However it would appear UKC doesn't respect this - a bug?

Neil
In reply to jimjimjim:

How rude
 ByEek 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Chrome on Android has a "request desktop site" option in the menu. However it would appear UKC doesn't respect this - a bug?

My guess is that they use the new fancy Flexbox controls and CSS scripting that allows web pages to automatically form to whatever size window you happen to have. If you try shrinking your desktop window you can see how the site automatically reforms. It is pretty clever but at the same time difficult to tweak for every possible size.
 Neil Williams 10 Nov 2014
In reply to ByEek:
True. However it appears not to respect a zoomed out Android screen when in "request desktop site" mode, which it surely should.

Possibly a bug in the framework rather than UKC, but a bug nonetheless.

At least UKC doesn't remove actual features when you use a mobile device then refuse to give you the desktop site. That *really* annoys me.

Neil
Post edited at 11:10
In reply to ByEek:

Exactly: the Request Desktop site button won't do anything as we're not serving 2 sites (a Desktop and a Mobile site). It's just one site that auto-resizes to your device width using 4 screen width breakpoints.
In reply to jimjimjim:

It gets very cramped with more than 3 columns on the smallest screen size. Would people prefer the Posted By column instead of the Views one?
 ByEek 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> At least UKC doesn't remove actual features when you use a mobile device then refuse to give you the desktop site. That *really* annoys me.

But then again - if you are used to using the eBay app and then have the misfortune to accidentally login via their web portal, you wonder if you are using an interface from the same company. The web portal is truly terrible compared to the wonderful simplicity of the mobile app!
 Neil Williams 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Would it be an option to make those configurable for those with unusual preferences in terms of screen layout?

(I personally do like it, FWIW - far better than serving a big-font tablet layout to desktops as so many websites seem to do these days)

Neil
OP chris74 10 Nov 2014
In reply to all:
Thanks for the response its looking like we will just have to live with it then

In reply to chris74:

The next update will be mainly focused on the Logbook section so the UI and general flow between sections will be a lot better there.
 jimjimjim 10 Nov 2014

I'd prefer the posted by. So why can't we have a choice of either desk top or mobile device type layouts? I always prefer the desk top version and just zooming in and out as required works fine for me. The bbc site is a god example. I seem to be using ukc less anyway.
 jimjimjim 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Hannah S:

Sorry love. But you're not everyone's cup of tea. Brownies and flowers are not top of my interests. That's not to say I've anything against you though. No offence intended.
 Hooo 11 Nov 2014
In reply to chris74:

+1 to this. If I have to choose I'd rather see who the OP was than the number of views, but ideally I'd prefer everything on the page (like the old site) so I can zoom and scroll.
 Bob 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Hooo:

That's interesting - for many years the mantra in user interface design for web pages has been to avoid horizontal scrolling - it's too easy for the visitor to miss something. Until recently getting the main content "above the fold" (think newspapers) which for digital media translates to "on the first screen" has been the main aim but with more and more people using mobiles and tablets where (vertical) scrolling is seen as natural then this is slowly being dropped.
 JLS 11 Nov 2014
>"The next update will be mainly focused on the Logbook section"

It is much requested but so far never addressed.

Is there a good reason why the crag page can't have a button that takes you to a page showing the "logbook of ascents at this crag"?

I think it would be a great hint on crag condition to see what routes are currently getting traffic.

Date; Climb name; Grade; Style; Ascensionist

If needs be for technical reasons, perhaps the list could be limited to "in the last month".
Post edited at 09:08
In reply to JLS:

That'll definitely in the next release. I didn't have time to finish that off in the last one.
In reply to jimjimjim:
+1 to missing "posted by". it's harder to avoid certain users that constantly post meaningless claptrap.
 JLS 11 Nov 2014

Good stuff.

I have issues positioning the cursor in the reply box. It never goes where I select so editing what I have written is a pain as is deleting sections when I include the text I'm replying to. Also, is it possible to have the original quote always paste into the top of the message. I don't always click that button before replying so I have to cut and paste it where I want it.
 JLS 11 Nov 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> I have issues positioning the cursor in the reply box.

Yeah, I've got that problem on my office Dell PC. UKC looked into it and concluded it was a very specific problem with my set-up.
My guess is that it's a problem with the graphics card/driver.
In reply to JLS:

I should add this is on my android device.
 Gazlynn 11 Nov 2014

> It gets very cramped with more than 3 columns on the smallest screen size. Would people prefer the Posted By column instead of the Views one?

I would also prefer Posted by instead of views

cheers

Gaz
 Kimono 11 Nov 2014
In reply to chris74:

2 issues that i have with the new mobile UKC:

i now have to login every single time i visit the site...and i would rather not

for some reason i have to click twice on an icon at the top of the page

Using an iPhone
Kipper 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

> +1 to missing "posted by". it's harder to avoid certain users that constantly post meaningless claptrap.

You need a 'kill file'.
 Hooo 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Bob:

> That's interesting - for many years the mantra in user interface design for web pages has been to avoid horizontal scrolling

I've always preferred having as much as possible on one screen, so that I can move around it at will. I don't like the new trend of small pages that require constant clicking to navigate. A big reason for this is that I do most of my browsing in the train, with an intermittent data connection. Every time I click a link I have to wait for the page to load ( or often fail to load ).
This is a minority viewpoint though, and probably explains why my web programming efforts have been restricted to back-end functionality rather than anything the user will see.
 Hooo 12 Nov 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> I should add this is on my android device.

Me too. I always assumed it was a problem with my browser. It's such a pain that if I'm posting more than a couple of sentences I write the post in Notepad and then paste it into the box.
 Bob 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Hooo:

Intermittent connections as you describe are hard to deal with: do you force the user to download a complete page with several Mb of data; provide a lightweight version of the page; or something in between using a technique like AJAX? Mobile users are used to scrolling so having a very long thin page (delivered in one go) but missing the heavyweight items like large images is going to suit most of them. The problem then is how to decide what is important to individual visitors, in the end it's a best guess.

Organisations like the BBC and The Guardian have spent a lot of time and effort on this problem, it's worth reading the BBC's take on this - http://www.creativebloq.com/web-design/responsive-web-design-tips-bbc-news-... and http://responsivenews.co.uk/post/18948466399/cutting-the-mustard . Here's a bit from the Guardian which is based on the BBC's approach - http://mattandrews.info/talks/canvasconf-2013/ , a slightly less technical view here http://sjhcockrell.com/writing/2013/john-cleveley-responsive-news/ it talks (part 6 concerns mobile devices)
In reply to Bob:

Some good info there Bob. I've read the BBC's take on it before but hadn't seen the Guardian one.

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...