UKC

What Chomsky book?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 19 Mar 2015
Should a Chomsky virgin get?

Ta.
 John H Bull 19 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
The Essential Chomsky. Next...
Removed User 19 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

The film 1992 Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media might be available on You Tube or Love Film.
 TobyA 19 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

I've read a few over the years (including Manufacturing Consent) but that might tempt me to ask why? They are a bit ranty in my memory.
Pan Ron 19 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

"Rogue States" or "Propaganda and The Public Mind" were my first two.
 full stottie 19 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

For an alternative view from a one-time Chomsky devotee, Daniel Everett, try Don't Sleep there are Snakes.
Really interesting account by a psycho-linguist in search of truth in the Amazon Rainforest.

Dave
 mrgleb 19 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

My first Chomsky was Understanding Power and then Propaganda and The Public Mind. Understanding Power is interview format and for me Chomsky flows well in this format, he covers many topics.The additional book of footnotes that support this book are indispensable,they can be obtained from the publishers.
Chomsky On Anarchism is also classic read.
I can't recommend Chomsky enough.He totally changed my view of politics and history. I also appreciate the wealth of factual evidence he provides in the foot notes of his books. So in my view you get well researched opinion.

Happy Reading
 JayPee630 20 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Are you interested in his linguistics or political stuff?
OP DaveHK 21 Mar 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

> Are you interested in his linguistics or political stuff?

I'm not sure TBH. I really only know him by some pretty arresting sound bites. My impression is that some of his more recent output is largely criticism of US foreign policy. If this is correct I'm not that interested in it.
 TobyA 21 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Chomsky's ground breaking work is in linguistics - underlying structures of language or some such - that's why he is a tenured professor at MIT. But since at least the 70s he has been an outspoken critic of US foreign policy, which is what he most famous for these days, particularly amongst young, lefty types. But he's not a political scientist or sociologist by training, more of a political commentator I guess you would say. Doesn't mean he isn't right sometimes, but his own politics do push him into some odd positions.
Dorq 21 Mar 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Take a look at "Year 501..." I remember it being particularly rich in an historical anecdotal sort of way --- besides the usual socio-political critique of the inner workings of the political-monied-manager class and less of the record-correcting profiling of current affairs sort of thing --- that he is probably renowned for. For example, the racist attitude of Walt Whitman towards the Mexicans will always stick in my mind...

If you want an insightful book on the problems of the 'public mind' in politics and society, try Murray Edelmann, particularly "Constructing the Political Spectacle".

Jon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...