UKC

Things You've Learned With The Passage Of Time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 08 May 2015

I thought it might be cool to start a thread on life lessons or moments of clarity about life the universe and everything.

More about practical/people kinds of things, rather than the spiritual side...to avoid the usual heated debates about the meaning of life where two opposing viewpoints hurl disagreement at one another.

When it comes to decisions, it can often happen that the justification comes afterwards to make them feel sensible.

If the opportunity for a new friendship appears, there's the risk of missing it if one stops and thinks, let the passage of time show whether it's an enduring one.

Worry really definitely actually does achieve nothing at all.

Over to you, peeps.
Post edited at 17:48
 wercat 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

How beautiful birds are (avians), and bees - I didn't really take much notice them all earlier in life
 johncook 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

With the passage of time I get physically older but mentally younger.
In reply to Timmd:

I wish I had spent more time with my grandparents and their siblings. By the time I realised how interesting and special they were it was too late.
 mlt 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

1. Hard work and dedication does not guarantee success and neither does it make you any more entitled to it.

2. Following your own definition of success and not someone else's is crucial to achieving a more self-fulfilling life.

3. The only time I will finally get a proper rest in life and truly feel relaxed is when I am dead.
 David Alcock 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

The Met are bastards.
 John Ww 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

You can't choose who you fall in love with.

You can't make people love you.

The world doesn't owe you a living.

Sometimes terrible things happen to good people (and vice versa).
 lowersharpnose 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

There is no such thing as normal (people, personalities and habits).
 cuppatea 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

The trouble is, you think you have time.

Traumatic brain injuries don't get better.

The best things in life aren't "things".
 Dave the Rave 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
2 ply bog paper makes your fingers stink!
 cuppatea 08 May 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> 2 ply bog paper makes your fingers stink!

Bog roll comes in three thicknesses.
Luxury, normal and eeeeugh.
 Dave Ferguson 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

all women are always right all of the time
 freerangecat 08 May 2015
In reply to mlt:

> 1. Hard work and dedication does not guarantee success and neither does it make you any more entitled to it.

> 2. Following your own definition of success and not someone else's is crucial to achieving a more self-fulfilling life.

I agree completely with these. Wish I didn't agree with the first, but it's very true.

Don't agree with your 3rd point. I think that if you don't take time to rest and relax you're more likely to have your body force it on you.

What I've learned is that even if life doesn't go how you want it to you still have to look for positives and make the best of it. There's no point wasting time mourning the past and/or pinning all of your hopes on a better future, you're much better off making the most of the present. Easier said than done, but still true.
 DaveHK 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

The whole thing will be as surprising and bewildering at 40 as it is at 20 but for different reasons. I suspect the same will be true at 60. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
In reply to DaveHK:

> The whole thing will be as surprising and bewildering at 40 as it is at 20 but for different reasons. I suspect the same will be true at 60. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Yes, it gets much more baffling once you're 50, and a lot worse again once you're in your 60s. The more you know, the less you know, etc. The eccentricities and madnesses of life come into ever sharper focus. Just how much nonsense is going on, and just how many people allow themselves to be brainwashed by it. And, beyond all that, TOTALLY unnecessary irrational, family conflicts. What a waste of life!

Hat Dude 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I wish I'd shagged Kristine Kochanski when I had the chance
 marsbar 08 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

When I was young I thought the people in charge knew what was going on and knew what to do about it. Now all the people in charge are my age I realise that they are generally just muddling through like the rest of us.
Graeme G 08 May 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I wish I'd shagged Kristine Kochanski when I had the chance

She wasn't really worth the wait.....i've had better
 Hat Dude 08 May 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> She wasn't really worth the wait.....i've had better

3 MILLION YEARS & YOU TELL ME THAT!!!
 FactorXXX 08 May 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

I wish I'd shagged Kristine Kochanski when I had the chance

Which one?
 Dave the Rave 08 May 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

> 3 MILLION YEARS & YOU TELL ME THAT!!!

Her sister and mother were dirtier!
OP Timmd 08 May 2015
In reply to marsbar:

> When I was young I thought the people in charge knew what was going on and knew what to do about it. Now all the people in charge are my age I realise that they are generally just muddling through like the rest of us.

That's something my Dad often told me while I was getting (more of) a handle on adulthood, that nobody really knows what they're doing, deep down.
Removed User 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

The world is not fair - get over it (Warren Buffet, I believe).

Conventional education systems are not all they are cracked up to be and the qualifications they confer may not be worth very much.

Altruistic behavior is far more rewarding than selfish behavior.

There is an exponential relationship to the speed of time relative to your age.
 yeti 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

all coppers are....just people

as are doctors, climbers, bankers, bakers etc

don't wait for summer, make the most of today

cats do like to stand between you and the screen, pc or tv, it's just how they are
 Sharp 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
The older people get, the less they care about what people think of them and the happier they are. Up to a point anyway, till age brings it's own difficulties.

VS is actually quite hard.
Post edited at 07:51
 fmck 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Be realistic about your climbing goals. No matter how much you try some of us just don't have that hero factor. The sport can become a disappointment to you later if you realise what you strived for was well out of your reach right from the start.
 DaveHK 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to marsbar)
>
> [...]
>
> That's something my Dad often told me while I was getting (more of) a handle on adulthood, that nobody really knows what they're doing, deep down.

To counter that with a positive: When you meet someone who does know what they are doing then learn from them.

Flinticus 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I still can't accept the totality of the death of those close to me. It can be a head wrecker if pondered. But oddly death seems necessary to give structure and drive to life.

Act in good time. Don't wait too long.

You can't map out your life. It will take you by surprise.

Stay fit.

We are animals too, but with a bigger brain and more self aware. Remember this in your self expectations and interaction with the world.
Post edited at 09:11
 Flinticus 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

The weather forecast is often wrong. Try to deal with that (sometimes it works in your favour, more often not)
Jim C 09 May 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> The world is not fair - get over it (Warren Buffet, I believe).

> sounds like the kind of thing that someone with huge wealth might say to cover some of their dealings they made on the way up.

wercat 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Something it took me my entire career to learn - never ever trust an employer! I always did, in my simple way, but I see now however long you've been with them and whatever you've put into the job or shit you've put up with they will shit on you without compunction, even if they continue smiling paternally at everyone while they bring in an assassin to remove their former "members of the company family".
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 May 2015

> There is an exponential relationship to the speed of time relative to your age.

I haven't found that to be the case so far (64) thank goodness. I suspect never having had kids and keeping on the go is the reason,

Chris
 FactorXXX 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Licking a freshly boiled kettle is both painful and ill advised.
 Babika 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Charm and manners achieves so much more than assertiveness and aggression
OP Timmd 09 May 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

> We are animals too, but with a bigger brain and more self aware. Remember this in your self expectations and interaction with the world.

Yeah, we're all seeking physical security (and other kinds) and the well being of those in our 'pack'.
 JJL 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Most people are kind at heart

Life has a way of mending itself
 BarrySW19 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> That's something my Dad often told me while I was getting (more of) a handle on adulthood, that nobody really knows what they're doing, deep down.

My old man told me one time: you never get wise, you only get older.

... of course, that could just be a Dandy Warhols lyric.
 Shani 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

1. There's the least you can do, and the most you can do. When those two points meet, you're dead.
2. There's no failure, only feedback.
3. The problem is not your problem. Your reaction is the problem.
4. It's later than you think.
Removed User 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Don't sweat the small stuff

Don't be too hard on your kids - its a generational thing
 Kevster 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Remember to stop and look around to appreciate what life has delivered and the beauty of it all.
Removed User 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Spend more time listening
 Tom Valentine 09 May 2015
In reply to David Alcock:

Couldn't agree more.
The number of times I've gone out without a raincoat or brolly on their advice and got piss wet through....
Chieftain600 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Thinking "I still feel like I did when I was 16" isn't strange. It's because you're still you, fool!
andymac 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Not to drink water from mountain streams.

A bit like avoiding eating yellow snow.but worse.
 Jon Stewart 09 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I think this sums it up rather well:

youtube.com/watch?v=WXvsl8xgRxc&
OP Timmd 09 May 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:
It perhaps sums up your perspective rather well?

Though I don't believe you don't also count your favourite routes climbed at Stanage, or cool looking clouds too.
Post edited at 23:52
 Kemics 10 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

if you put a bit of toilet paper in the toilet before a poo you dont get any 'splash back'.

Also worry less about almost everything in life (except splash back) even when things have gone as bad as I feared, it's never actually that bad.
 wercat 10 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Although History has a great amount to teach us it is unfortunate that the people at the top are the least able to learn from it. Hence Be suspicious of anything called "progress" or "reform" as they are a disguise for someone just asserting themselves or their ideas.
OP Timmd 10 May 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> The older people get, the less they care about what people think of them and the happier they are. Up to a point anyway, till age brings it's own difficulties.

> VS is actually quite hard.

I'm liking caring less about what people think at 35 than I did when I was younger.
 edunn 10 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Everything works out alright in the end, if it's not alright, it's not the end.
abseil 10 May 2015

> Don't sweat the small stuff

I like that one - very helpful. I read another good one about that (small stuff which looms very large on that day): "Ask yourself - in 5 years time, will this matter?" That notion is good and has often helped me.

(Good thread anyway, thanks OP)

PS Other things I've learned with the passage of time? Very little ha-ha-ha
Post edited at 15:46
In reply to Timmd:

It's later than you think.
OP Timmd 10 May 2015
In reply to gringo number 1:
I've just remembered that I've learnt a good way of learning about people is how they treat other people, and what they actually do, that there's quite a lot to be said for observing, but that it's fallible.
Post edited at 18:10
 marsbar 10 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

See how they treat waitresses, cleaners, shop workers. Always a useful insight.
Removed User 10 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I've learned that experience is something you get just after you really needed it.
Post edited at 19:49
Removed User 11 May 2015

> I've learned that experience is something you get just after you really needed it.

I've learnt that there is no such thing as original thought anymore.
 The Potato 11 May 2015

I was going to say something similar, most things have already been said/done/thought over the thousands of years we have existed and that people probably haven't changed that much in behaviour since the beginning, only our technology. So why worry.

That task will always take twice as long as you expected.

Young people waste far too much time thinking about sex, which I've realised is a huge waste of time/life to only satisfy a basic biochemical urge

Most things are like farts, if you try and force it, it ends up as poo.

Some people are sometimes angry, but getting angry or annoyed back never helps. Sometimes we are angry too, it passes, life goes on.

Queenie 11 May 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

> Most things are like farts, if you try and force it, it ends up as poo.

This has a squelch of truth about it.

There is beauty in simplicity. Looking with fresh eyes at a tree in bud, watching ants go about their business, listening to birdsong while quietly sitting and drinking in your surroundings. When things get overwhelming, keeping it simple can help with returning to calmness and grounded (as can avoiding the news).
 Xharlie 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Anyone who promises "jam tomorrow" will continue to do so until you vote with your feet. This goes double for people in business.

When you really can't choose betwen two mutually exclusive options, A and B, consider the feasibility of choosing neither. If one option becomes unavailable in the future, the other one must be your choice and you have lost nothing but there's still a chance that future information will break the tie. Corollary: sometimes, flipping a coin IS the best way to make a choice and can lead you to experience things you never planned.

The Last Post, God Save the Queen and Rule Britannia are awfully catchy tunes!

Have a political leaning. Choose what is right and what is wrong. Open your mind to new ideas and always reconsider your stance but have a stance, nonetheless.

Always know where the secret roll of loo paper is kept.

Don't sacrifice pleasure for weight. Carry that steak and those gas bottles and enjoy yourself. The ones with the re-hydrated guff might have it easier on the up but they'll be green at dinner time. Call it "weight training" if you must.

It's easier to lose 100 grams from your belly than your bicycle frame. (Eating too much steak is probably not the way to achieve this.)

Paraglider's call mud "experience". You can get covered in it.

It's easier to climb up than to hang on.

NEVER climb trad. without a head-lamp.
 Dandan 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

When you are scraping food off a chopping board into a pan, flip the knife over and use the back edge instead of the blade to scrape along the board, this will stop your knife getting blunt so quickly.

I only figured this out last week...
 wercat 11 May 2015
In reply to Dandan:
Carrying water up a mountain is a great way to get fit, eg for the alps, after dumping 10 litres or more at the top you'll skip downhill! (Build up slowly if you don't want a heart attack!)

And budget lightweight trousers from sales are just as comfy as anything else providing they fit
Post edited at 09:36
 Rob Exile Ward 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
You know the nearer the destination, the more you're slip slidin' away.
 wercat 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

crossing the straps on your rucsack over a pair of ice tools holds them much more securely and safely, particularly in busy places.
 ti_pin_man 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

that it doesnt matter how many threads like this you read, it wont make you wiser, your life is your life and it will still scare the f*k out of you occasionally. Soak it up and get on with it.
 Xharlie 11 May 2015
In reply to ti_pin_man:

On any Internet discussion, someone who does not "get the point" and has nothing valuable to add will pipe in and add something negative to spoil the enjoyment of others, out of ignorance, or just to seem smart.
 Trangia 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Time flies and the rate at which it does accelerates with age.
In reply to Timmd:

Watching telly is a complete waste of time.
 hang_about 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Life is better with a llama around
Removed User 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" - Simon and Garfunkle.

Probably THE most apt observation of human behavior I have heard.
 Xharlie 11 May 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Watching crap telly is a waste of time but good documentaries can be excellent - like the BBC's "Handmade" series that was recently highlighted on these forums or their recent three-part documentaries on the Normans and the Plantagenets or the five-part one on the role of the Railways in World War 1 which made me realize that "signal failure" is just an excuse to cover how far we've regressed in the last hundred years.

Also: when there's nothing else to do, there will always be another climbing film.
 Xharlie 11 May 2015

As a corollary: "one only hears two things - what one wants to hear and what someone else wants one to hear".

I don't know who said it but it extends the concept to include manipulation by advertising and propaganda - both very real things.
 SenzuBean 11 May 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
As a side-note - it's interesting that people who watch TV as a hobby can be called sports-fans. What about people who are fans of participating in sports?
Similarly we have beer, and craft beer - why is that? Craft beer is just beer - "beer" should be called industrial beer.
The subtle differences in words can have profound effects on our society.

Back to topic:
- The things you find most difficult are often the most worthwhile things you can do with your life (or in other words, life is boring if you only do what you're good at, or challenging yourself is one of life's great joys)
- In 99% of cases, evil is not borne of the will to do bad things, but of selfishness / negligence / ignorance / cowardice.
- Despite meticulous planning - you will NEVER be able to do all of the things you want to do in life, so enjoy what you do get the opportunity to do, and maybe (?) living vicariously is not such a bad thing. Plan your life around the big things.
- Holding onto stubborn beliefs is not a strong behavior - but a weak one. If you suspect you might've been wrong all along - find out and admit it to yourself.
- You cannot convince someone who does not want to be convinced. Lead by example for those who have their mind open, and the rest will follow.
Post edited at 14:38
 planetmarshall 11 May 2015
In reply to Kevster:

> Remember to stop and look around to appreciate what life has delivered and the beauty of it all.

Didn't Ferris Bueller say this?
 planetmarshall 11 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

> - You cannot convince someone who does not want to be convinced. Lead by example for those who have their mind open, and the rest will follow.

Nobody wants to be convinced that they're wrong. And as someone once said, "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out".

SenzuBean 11 May 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Nobody wants to be convinced that they're wrong. And as someone once said, "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out".

Love that quote (always have ever since I heard it )

I should add that I also learned it's quite possible for people to hold highly-contradictory beliefs, and to have absolutely no qualms with that - trying to point out the contradictions doesn't often result in enlightenment.
redsonja 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

when people are happy they become kind
 Dave the Rave 11 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
Different day, similar shit
adam11 11 May 2015

'I used to care.......but things have changed'. St Bob.
adam11 11 May 2015
In reply to wercat:

That's a good idea
OP Timmd 19 May 2015
In reply to redsonja:
> when people are happy they become kind

That makes me think of something I read along the lines that anybody can be decent and kind when things are going well, and it's special people who can be when things are going badly for them, or they're not happy.
Post edited at 19:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...