UKC

Free tuition : Learn to lead / scrambling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 g2 02 Jun 2015
FREE Opportunities during August 2015:
15th August – 23rd August (all days in-between and inclusive)

My MIA (Mountain Instructors Award) assessment is imminent, and I am looking for people (preferably pairs) to provide free tuition to, in final preparation for it.

I am particularly interested to hear from people wanting to make their first steps in leading in a multi-pitch traditional environment. This would suit climbers who have lead indoors and now want to gain an understanding of placing wires, reading routes and building bombproof belays.
I am also looking for volunteers to enter into the world of scrambling, they may have experience of many mountain days walking and now wish to experience steeper terrain. Scrambling offers some breath-taking vantage points and a whole new range of skills and movement.

I currently work as a teacher and part time freelance outdoor instructor. I hold the Summer Mountain Leader award (ML) and Single Pitch Rock Climbing award (SPA), have completed my Mountain Instructor Award (MIA) training and am a trainee member of the Association of Mountaineering Instructor (AMI)

My assessment dates are at the end of August and I'm available for almost all of July and August to take people out both weekdays and weekends.

If you'd like to take up this opportunity please email me through here giving a brief outline of your previous experience and what you'd like to learn, as well as a contact number so we can have a chat and we'll go from there.

Car sharing from Wrexham in to North Wales is available.

PLEASE NOTE:

MIA Trainee
- As an MIA trainee I do not, as yet, hold the Mountain Instructor Award which is the recognised qualification for the instruction of scrambling and multi-pitch rock climbing in the UK. I've undergone the training course, but training for an award does not constitute a qualification. The term aspirant should not be used as a level of competency for multi-pitch climbing has not been assessed.

Insurance
- I do not hold insurance that allows me to receive payment or benefits in kind for instruction, but as a volunteer with membership of a mountaineering council of the UK or Eire I am insured for third part liability. These topics will need to be discussed in detail and agreed before an activity is conducted.

Many Thanks

Garreth
 Jan T 08 Jun 2015
In reply to g2:

Hi Garreth
I would be interested in doing this. I am not leading outside at the moment but will have completed a 1 day learning to lead course before August which I will be keen to consolidate. I could make myself available for whenever suits you around that time and will be based around the Llangollen area for most of August so am very flexible. I don't have a partner though so would need to join in with someone else.
I look forward to hearing from.
Jan
OP g2 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Jan T:

I will be based in Wrexham during the summer so car sharing is an option. I have put you in the diary for 15th and 16th August. If you are flexible on the dates and we can dodge any weather, but we can start with that plan.

I work in Qatar but I will be back from July 3rd. My UK number is 07597 175481 my email is garrethstockton@btinternet.com

Please send some contact details and also a summary of your experience to date and what you hope to achieve.

Many thanks

Garreth
 jeffers696 25 Jun 2015
In reply to g2:

Hi Garreth,

I'm looking to make the jump from indoor sport to trad. Have been climbing indoors for 5 years and done a few small bits out side mainly bouldering but now im looking at trying trad. I can climb indoor sports up to 6B. My aim is to try and lead safely and on single pitch and hopefully look at multi pitches as a second or even lead. Competent with basic rope works and safety. I'm originally from North Wales but don't live there any more but can travel back no problem.

Here is my email jeffers696@hotmail.com

Cheers Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...