UKC

techrock aliens vs totem basics?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pebbles 24 Jun 2015
I see that as well as the totem basic, which I thought was more or less a revamoped Alien, there is also now the Alien evolution and CCH Alien to consider. Have never heard of Faders-Fixe (the manufacturers) though, but I assume if needlesports are selling them they are decent kit. Has anyone used them? how do they compare to Totem Basics?
OP pebbles 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Thats a totem cam, which isnt the same sort of thing as the totem basics. I know the totem basics are supposed to be a very good successor to the old aliens, but i hadnt heard of the alien evolution or cch alien before, and what i'm interested in is peoples opinions on how they compare
 beardy mike 24 Jun 2015
In reply to pebbles:
Cch was the original manufacturer of aliens. The rights to the design were bought by Fixe Faders whose primary gear seems to be bolts. The Alien Evo is an updated version of the CCH. I presume they are calling them CCH to indicate they are the original version.
 Graham 24 Jun 2015
In reply to pebbles:

Totem basics are much nicer to handle - have a look on the internet - there have been many many many threads on this topic.
 ashtond6 24 Jun 2015
In reply to pebbles:

I prefer the basic
OP pebbles 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Graham:

Yeah, found a fair few of them now! Looks like totems for quality being the consensus, but also seems to be a big question over totem basics or mastercams, with arguments for both pretty even. Decisions, decisions....
OP pebbles 25 Jun 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

Yup after much staring at web pages gonna go with basics. Flexibility of stem looks like a key advantage - less leverage when aligning the cam stem in the optimum position just isnt possible.
 Graham 25 Jun 2015
In reply to pebbles:

Good call - basics are awesome. Mastercams, eh not impressed.
OP pebbles 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Graham:

I'v got one. Its feels very solid when placed, but it has seized up on me once after a sea cliff outing - it didnt come off my harness and didnt get anywhere near the water, so I was a bit lazy about rinsing it off. Wont make that mistake again.
 Nick Russell 25 Jun 2015
In reply to pebbles:

I've found with the Metolius cams (I have small sizes of TCU and one Mastercam) they seized up pretty badly the first time I took them near sea cliffs but after a rinse and lube they've been fine since.
In reply to pebbles:

Maybe I'll get in trouble for saying this (I should probably remain impartial), but having used all of the cams mentioned above the best I have used - by far - is the Totem Basic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...