UKC

Sleeping in the Aiguille du Midi Top Station?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LomondSiTi 13 Jul 2015
Hi folks,

Has anyone slept on the floor of the midi station recently, or in the past?

I am planning on doing so in a few weeks time. I'll be on my own. Taking the last cable car up and will be gone with no trace early morning.

I was concerned that a planned bivy is frowned upon so was hoping to hear about other peoples experiences.

Many thanks,
Simon
 The New NickB 13 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

12 years since I did it, but no problems then.
 dek 13 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

You certainly won't be 'lonely'...take some kind of pad to lay on, gets pretty nippy during the night!
ultrabumbly 13 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

I did it years ago.I am fairly sure it has had webcams installed. Not sure if these would cover anywhere you might possibly stealth bivy or see you mooching around as it closed down though or if there have been any crackdowns of late to discourage the practice but some recent info here http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=514966

As in all things I would honestly expect that some staff will be super cool about it and the odd one will be a total dick.
 dutybooty 13 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

I was sleeping in it Sunday morning.

http://badideaadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

They now block off all the bits apart from the ice tunnel and the concrete walkway immediately before it. Towards the end of the most recent blog there.
OP LomondSiTi 13 Jul 2015
In reply to dutybooty:
Cheers for the info. I'll plan for that.

Sounds like you had an adventure 😎
 munky46 14 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

great little blog
 Ndawson 14 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

I did this few weeks back and was planning to spend the night in the tunnel. We discovered there was a number of good size snow pits dug and free down on the glacier so we slept down in one of them. very well sheltered and it was a clear night and the weather was good. Could be worth a considering if you fancy a quiter night.

Take care on walking down the arete that late in the day though ( Slushy )

Neil
 Derry 14 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

I can answer this very easily as I tried almost the exact same thing last week. We took the last cable car up, planned to chill out at the station until dusk and then climb the Cosmique Arete. When the station officers/wardens saw us settling down for what looked like the night they told us that we could not stay, that we had to book into the refuge below, that they did not have insurance for cookers. All very reasonable and calm I must admit.

There were certainly a few other people hanging around, but they had arrived late for the last cable car and were taken pity on - and slept in the toilets. We instead had just taken the last car up so it was obviously frowned upon that we were taking the piss. However, in the end we went down to the Col, waited for a bit and then climbed in beautiful solitude. Slept out on the Midi platform that night in 10° temperatures. Didn't get the most pleasant look from the wardens in the morning, but it was ok.

So my advice would be to get out of the station on arrival and return later on when things are a bit quieter. Presuming you're not bringing a tent.
 Roberttaylor 14 Jul 2015
In reply to LomondSiTi:

It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
Zoro 14 Jul 2015
In reply to dutybooty:
I really liked your blog, the photos are great too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...