UKC

Iran, Israel and all the nuclear stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I find it mildly entertaining that Israel is objecting the the current Iranian nuclear deal with such gusto. Benjamin Netanyahu said it was a "stunning historic mistake" that would provide Iran with "hundreds of billions of dollars with which it can fuel its terror machine and its expansion and aggression throughout the Middle East and across the globe". Interestingly, Israel has had few qualms about proliferating nuclear weapons knowhow and materials, giving South Africa's apartheid regime help to its own bomb in the 1970s in return for 600 tons of yellowcake.

Whatever your views on Israel and Iran, at least Iran signed up to the Non Proliferation Treaty (unlike Israel who steadfastly refused to) and Iran has admitted having nuclear facilities (unlike Israel who still maintain a comical "non-disclosure policy").

What a bunch of numpties.

spidermonkey09 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I find its a pretty safe way to live life if your opinion is the exact opposite of Netanyahu's. Its a bit rich for him to be talking about aggression in the Middle East.

Can't see the downside of Iran's nuclear development being open to inspection with a deal, whereas without one it wouldn't.
 MikeTS 14 Jul 2015

The issue is not the weapon. It is the character and record of who has it that is important. That's why we license guns. Would you want a gun to be licensed on Wednesday to someone who had marched around the previous Friday declaring they wanted to kill you?
 Rob Exile Ward 14 Jul 2015
In reply to MikeTS:

I fully understand that this is an existential issue for you, but from here it is incredibly difficult to disentangle the propaganda emanating from all sides.

From here, while many of us remember the excesses of the Ayotollahs and the extremism that held sway after 1979, we are also presented with the image of a state whose people, mostly better educated, better informed and more prosperous than most in the region, are leaning towards a more secular, modern state; they want stability in the middle east as much (or more) than most.

From here, it doesn't seem that the Iranian state needs the destruction of Israel, as the unifying issue that transcends all others, in the way that Netanyahu seems to need Iran?
 summo 14 Jul 2015
In reply to MikeTS:
Israel or Iran would march with you on a Friday, then happily stab you in your back the next day if it served their own interests, I would distrust either of them in equal measure. At present at least Iran is more open and honest about its nuclear intentions than israel. No bad thing, communication brings stability, something israel could learn.
Post edited at 19:47
In reply to MikeTS:

> It is the character and record of who has it that is important.

Is it Netanyahu you are talking about?

Jon Stewart 14 Jul 2015

What's happened is we're actually living in the sequel to Dr Strangelove.
 aln 14 Jul 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Where did the bomb detonate?
 gd303uk 15 Jul 2015
In reply to MikeTS:

when Israel; a country lurching towards fascism, has a minister of justice like Ayelet Shaked, i think playing the victim card is hoping for a bit much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...