UKC

Scafell Pike - Correct Pronunciation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 30 Jul 2015

Just watching this excellent film on BBC iPlayer

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=621379

I noticed that many people, including the BMC Rep, pronounce Scafell as "Scarfell", but the locals all called it "Scawfull".

I've always understood it to be the latter.

Any Lake District residents here who can confirm the correct pronunciation?
Post edited at 19:22
 Philip 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Out of interest, how do you pronounce Merlot? Particularly if it is Italian. What if it was new world grown?
In reply to Trangia:

Always been Scah-fell for me. Heretic, I know...
Lusk 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Slaithwaite, Manchester, the list is endless
 gd303uk 30 Jul 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:
if you asked the locals in that film to say Scah/Scar Fell it may sound like Scawfell .

if i asked "where is Scawfell ?" in my regional accent ( were iz Score fell?), it would sound like i was taking the piss.

my welsh friend can throw a minor fit if i say Pen E Pass, and not Penn er Pass, yet doesn't flinch when he says Pa Ris .

as long as we know what was meant , i am off for some kwin noah crisps
Post edited at 20:11
In reply to Trangia:
I was born in Eskdale and ScaWfull it is.
Post edited at 20:21
 Bulls Crack 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> Slaithwaite, Manchester, the list is endless

Manchester? How do you say it?!
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Manchester? How do you say it?!

Shit-hole
Lusk 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Varies, depending on the bum level of my trousers
Lusk 30 Jul 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Shit-hole

Reading....hahahaha!
 Scomuir 30 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I was chatting to someone who was a guide on it a few weeks back when i was doing the tops around Wasdale, and he referred to it as "Scayphll". He claimed to be local, and I definitely wasn't, but even so, did think it was a very odd as I had thought it was "Scawfull" (or thereabouts).
OP Trangia 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

> I was born in Eskdale and ScaWfull it is.

Thanks, that seems pretty definative
 wheelo 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Wainwright confirms its "scaw" although ive always referred to it as "scar".
In reply to wheelo:

I think on some older OS maps it's referred to as "Scawfell"
 The New NickB 31 Jul 2015
In reply to wheelo:

> Wainwright confirms its "scaw" although ive always referred to it as "scar".

Wainwright was from Blackburn though!
> Wainwright was from Blackburn though!

Nowt wrong with Blackburn lad (although I have to admit from coming from t'other side of Pennines!)

....I do miss the gritty North. Best not say what I think of southerners as I now live amongst them!!

The New NickB 31 Jul 2015
In reply to exiled_northerner:

> Nowt wrong with Blackburn lad (although I have to admit from coming from t'other side of Pennines!)

Plenty wrong with Blackburn, but that's not the point, it's 100 miles from Scarfell.

Removed User 31 Jul 2015
In reply to Trangia:
> Any Lake District residents here who can confirm the correct pronunciation?
Both Scawfell [Scorefell] and Scarfell are used by locals.
I would say in my lifetime I have heard Scarfell more commonly .. like .. eh?

In reply to captain paranoia:
> Shit-hole

There'll be letters, Cap'n ...

Various sources indicate that 'Sca' was introduced by the the OS for what was previously spelled 'Scaw'. It seems the original spelling and usage was Scaw Fell (two words) for what is now Sca Fell; 'The Pikes of Scaw Fell' for what are now Scafell Pike, Ill Crag and Broad Crag.

IME most of the Wasdale locals pronounce the hills as Scaw Fell (two words) and Scawf'l Pike. Most outsiders pronounce them Scar Fell and Skaff'l Pike (with a short 'a'). If you are not a local, which one you choose is a matter of personal choice IMO - I prefer to go with the endonym.

Anyway, never mind the hills - is it Wazzdale or Wozzdale; Waztwater (short 'a') or Wostwater? And how do you pronounce Shrewsbury ?

Removed User 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Lots of local Lakes pronunciations:-
Scawfull or Scoffle for Sca Fell
Wazdull for Wasdale
Borradull for Borrowdale
Eshdull for Eskdale
Brathet for Braithwaite
Sithet for Seathwaite
Kezick for Keswick
Grazmere for Grasmere
and 'dull' for all the other dales
a silent 'w' in all 'thwaites', such as Thornthet Crag.
 Rick Graham 02 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Having lived here for over 30 years its still how they pronounce Aspatria and Little Urswick that crack me up.
 Gael Force 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:
and in west cumbria, face is pronounced F'yas by my son, can't even spell it actually
Post edited at 10:55
 Bob 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

La'al Ozzick

To be fair most areas have some place names/geographical features that are pronounced in some "odd" way - Slaithwaite (near Huddersfield) is pronounced "Slowet" (slow rhyming with cow) as one example; Barnoldswick is invariably called "Barlick" by locals but that seems to be a diminutive or nickname rather than odd pronunciation.
In reply to Rick Graham:

Aspatria is a classic. Try Torpenhow.
 Oldsign 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Man-chis-toh!

sheep 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

> Aspatria is a classic. Try Torpenhow.

Yep.

and Blennerhasset and Baggrow.

My all-time favourite is Ecclefechan, the locals call it Fechan. Many years ago, when the post office was threatened with closure, they protested with banners (shown on TV) saying 'Save the Fechan Post Office'
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Torpenhow = Trepenna
redsonja 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I have lived all my life in the lakes and its scaWfell to me. Aspatria is spyatri aswell!!
 Tom Valentine 05 Aug 2015
In reply to Sceptical Bastard:

I asked the Shrewsbury question on here last year after listening to some football pundits.
It provoked quite a debate but very little was decided -at the end of the day......
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I asked the Shrewsbury question on here last year ...provoked quite a debate but very little was decided...

I live in the midlands and go to Shropshire frequently. IME the locals in the town and county pronounce it Shroosb'ry (or, more lazily, drop the first 'r' to give Shoosb'ry). Outside the midlands, it tends to be Shroesbury.

Occasionally I've heard Shropshire people refer to the town as 'Salop' (singular) as in "I'm going into Salop today to do some shopping."

Wulfrunian 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Sceptical Bastard:

> I live in the midlands and go to Shropshire frequently.

Moi aussie and I find the locals are split into two camps - those that pronounce it Shroos... and those that pronounce it Shrows... It seems that the posher you are, the more likely to pronounce it "Shrowsbury" you are. There was even a bit on BBC Midlands Today about it recently. Seems there's no right or wrong answer. Salop is the old name for Shropshire I believe.

jcw 06 Aug 2015
In reply to Wulfrunian:

If your moi aussie is an indicator of your bilingualism you'd better be careful of calling it Salop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...