UKC

NEWS: Double Ascent of Rare Lichen E9 6c for Booth and Kille

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Oct 2015
Ed Booth climbing Rare Lichen E9 6c, 3 kbEd Booth and Angus Kille both made an ascent of Leo Houlding's Rare Lichen (E9 6c) E9 6c on 28th September. Rare Lichen is a tricky arete described in the UKC logbooks as consisting of "technical insecure climbing in a position where a fall would have awful consequences."

Read more
 Wft 02 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Nice one both. Is this 7c+ or so as a french grade? I'd be interested to know how close this is to their respective sport redpoint grades, it's quite interesting knowing when climbers are operating close to their limit of ability on headpoints.

E9 in a gore-tex, ED5?

Edit: Realise it says 7c in the article now
Post edited at 11:20
 Ed Booth 02 Oct 2015
In reply to GuyVG:
Probably easy 7c guy. The crux bit that is necky is with two small RP's just to your left at knee and foot height. I used ice lines and had a screamer and revolver krabs on them. My max sport grade is 8a+. I reckon routes like Macleods Flocktalk or Caff's Tower at midnight are probably bigger leads and they only get E8. not sure what other ascensionists think. It's an E8 into an E7/8 so not sure that makes it an E9.
Grades are only a rough guide any way.
If Calum Muskett has done it then realistically it can't be more than E6
Post edited at 11:51
 Wft 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Ed Booth:

Get some.
In reply to UKC News: Nice one Boothy! First E7 on sight and first E9 this year! Legend!

In reply to UKC News:

BTW (minor point), the Gribin Facet in the UKC logbooks is spelt with two Bs. Surely that's wrong?
In reply to Ed Booth:

Well done to both of you, not a bad consolation prize after the attempts on a thousand setting suns at the weekend. Did you get some good footage of the falls?

Amazing how failure on one climb can sometimes help motivate you on another, but it sounds like it would not have not been a good idea to test those rp’s.
 Luke Owens 02 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one guys, well psyched for you both! Double smash!
 mark20 02 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Great line and photos
Well done all
 Misha 02 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Waddage! Go team Shropshire!
In reply to UKC News:

Impressive stuff, well done boys.

Dom
 tony mills 09 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Well done guys.The things you have to do these days to get onto the High Sports Winter Lecture Series.
Shrewsbury Mountaineering Club.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...