UKC

salomon speedcross

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 28 Oct 2015
Got into running this year keen to keep on the muddy stuff this winter.

some research indicate the salomon speedcross, are good.

What are they like regards sizing? currently using a 43 in nike pegasus.

One ebay can get them really quite cheap from China, anyone done this, i'm guessing out the back door of the factory.

any reviews?
 Roadrunner5 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

A bit snug, especially in the toe box.

Nice shoe, high heel is an issue at first. I really like them as a good shoe which is fairly good at most terrain.
 plyometrics 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Half a UK size up works for me.

Sportsshoes.com always seems to have good deals.

They're great shoes; just not in the wet...

Although, if you want shoes good in the mud, you can't go wrong with Inov-8s, they just don't last anywhere near as long as the Salomons IMHO.

Always thought if you could combine the Inov-8 sole with the Salomon upper, you'd have the makings of a legendary shoe.
Post edited at 15:04
 AdamCB 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> A bit snug, especially in the toe box.

I'd agree with that, ordered a pair online but found they were too narrow so had to send them back.

tony 28 Oct 2015
In reply to plyometrics:

> Half a UK size up works for me.

> Sportsshoes.com always seems to have good deals.

> They're great shoes; just not in the wet...

> Although, if you want shoes good in the mud, you can't go wrong with Inov-8s, they just don't last anywhere near as long as the Salomons IMHO.

Yes you can, if they don't fit. I can't find Inov8s wide enough for me anymore - they seem to have got narrower over recent years. Salomons work better for my feet.

DaveHK 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

A small point but the insoles are rubbish when they get wet. They slide around and ruck up inside the shoe. Glue them down or replace them with something firmer.
 galpinos 28 Oct 2015
In reply to tony:

They've started doing two fits now, Precision and Standard, in some styles?
OP goldmember 28 Oct 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

I've got my own pair of custom insoles, fairly slim. would these likely fit?
 DaveHK 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:
> I've got my own pair of custom insoles, fairly slim. would these likely fit?

Probably. My Black Superfeet fit.
Post edited at 15:40
OP goldmember 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Thanks all so far. So if i get the 44's they should be ok, thanks peeps
 tony 28 Oct 2015
In reply to galpinos:

> They've started doing two fits now, Precision and Standard, in some styles?

Thanks, I didn't know that - I shall investigate.
 Aly 28 Oct 2015
In reply to plyometrics:
I've heard this a lot about Inov-8's. I must have had 15 pairs of them over the years and I've always worn out the tread before the uppers have failed, and it can't just be where I run...??
 Ridge 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Aly:

> I've heard this a lot about Inov-8's. I must have had 15 pairs of them over the years and I've always worn out the tread before the uppers have failed, and it can't just be where I run...??

With the Salomons the uppers will drop to bits before the tread wears....
andymac 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Found them to be potential ankle breakers when Fell running.big time.

Heel ,as said ,is much too high.

Inov8 mudclaws a much safer shoe.

Apart from that I wear them most days
 Dark-Cloud 28 Oct 2015
In reply to tony:

> Yes you can, if they don't fit. I can't find Inov8s wide enough for me anymore - they seem to have got narrower over recent years. Salomons work better for my feet.

Rocklite's are waaaaaayyyy wider than Speedcross.
Clauso 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

I have wide feet, but love Speedcross. I get on much better with them than Fellraisers.
 steelbru 28 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Depends what you mean by "muddy stuff" - if you mean proper mud, no paths then Speedcross not the best, better with Inov-8 Mudclaw or X-Talon, or Salomon Fellcross.

Speedcross is a great trail, with a bit of mud and grass, type shoe, as opposed to an out and out fell shoe.
 Joyce 29 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Morning Campers,

I've owned Speedcrosses and Inov8s. The Speedcross heel is indeed waaaay too high for off road use and the grip is appalling in the wet. I wouldn't buy another pair. For me, the Inov8s were too narrow and I had to lace them in an odd way to get them tight enough. They were a pain to get on and off too (might just be me though). However, it's not all bad news; may I heartily recommend that you look at La Sportiva Crosslites - the Vibram sole is grippy in all conditions, just enough cushioning for road sections on on/off road runs and a great fit. The outside of the toe box pops apart after a year or so but they still work and the grip keeps on coming. I love my pair - on my second set.

Love from,
Joyce,
Xxxx
OP goldmember 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Joyce:

Thanks Joyce they sound good, what is the sizing like? is there space for a custom insole?
 Fishmate 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Joyce: It's interesting to hear your opinion on the Speedcross. I bulk buyed when the old II model was upgraded and I'm on my last pair. I have found them perfect for everything off road and find the grip first class in snow and mud on all terrain. It is recommended that you buy 1/2 a size up from your regular size. The uppers will go before the sole/tread but not until at least 700 miles. Happy hunting to the OP.

The New NickB 29 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

I've warned people in the past about the heels on Speedcross, but I have run pretty technical terrain in the Pennines and Lakes in them no problem. I probably wouldn't race technical short course stuff in them. Grip wise, I would say better than most, not as good as X-talons in mud. Everything struggles on greasy rock, including Inov-8.
 DaveHK 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Joyce:

> > I've owned Speedcrosses and Inov8s. The Speedcross heel is indeed waaaay too high for off road use and the grip is appalling in the wet.

This depends on the runner. I've done numerous rocky and muddy runs and races in mine with no trouble.
 dsiska 29 Oct 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

I've had the "insoles sliding and rucking up" problem but then I swapped to 1/2 size smaller Speedcross and the problem went away completely.

I've been using Fellcross / Speedcross 3 / Sense Mantra (ordered by how much mud they can deal with). Most recently I've done the OMM in Fellcross (very happy with it, again) and Glencoe Skyline (slowly) in Speedcross 3 and I would recommend them both. Speedcross is more of a trail shoe.

Speedcross 3 have high heel making them quite comfy for running downhill on harder ground and landing on the heel.
 StefanB 29 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:
I like the Speedcross. I have had several pairs and they are my main trail shoe. They are what they are: trail shoes with a cushioned heel, neither cross country shoes, nor a fell shoes.
Grip is good on trails, not on wet grass. The upper last longer than the thread, which wears out fast, especially on rocky trails. The high heel is not liked by many people, but I quite like it. Doesn't feel unstable.
I have worn them on technical 80K ultras in the alps, on very rocky short trail races here in Spain and on muddy trails in German forests. There might be a better shoe for each of these, but it's the best allrounder I have found.
Post edited at 16:48
 just one more 29 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Be wary of the deal on ebay. A friend ordered 3 pairs online for what seemed like a great price and they were fakes. They looked the part at first glance but closer inspection found loads of mistakes and trying them on they felt like they came from Poundland!
 jacksonak47 30 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

The ones from china are not out the back door they are reproductions and although they look good online when you actually feel them and see them close up all becomes clear they are of great substancial quality i bought a pair just to see never again hope this helps dont buy waste of money )
 AsleepOnBelay 30 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

I got some Speedcross 3 after having Inov8 mudroc 330s. Mudroc sole wore out before upper (apart from heel pulls) and were a bit baggy width wise for me, but functioned well enough. Speedcross fit is amazing for me, glove like, and the grip seems excellent on trail, mud, grass and a bit of road / gravel. However, the heel is very high, they kind of encourage a heel first form which I really dont like, so I probably won't buy them again.
 Dark-Cloud 30 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Horses for courses really, I supported a BG last year and the guy wore Speedcross for the majority of it, I have used them in the Lakes for years, done the LAMM, OMM and SLMM in them and never had an issue with the heels.

Swapped to Inov8 Rocklites to give them a try and I can't say I am impressed really, they are massive in the toe box and way to wide so lacing ends up being difficult, the new Salomon Speedcross Pro look good though.
 Ridge 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've never found an issue with the heels, and I'm a forefoot striker. I really like the fit and feel, only issue is I don't think Salomon uppers are particularly robust, and great as the lacing system is it seems to cheesewire it's way through the fabric.
 deepsoup 30 Oct 2015
In reply to AsleepOnBelay:
Worth looking at some Fellcross to replace them when the time comes maybe?
In reply to goldmember:

Don't be tempted by the cheap import - false economy!

Personally I prefer Inov-8 Roclites. You could also look at the Salomon Fellraiser that will do a similar job. For real muddy stuff nothing beats Mudclaws but they are overkill for drier or harder terrain.
 DaveHK 31 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

I've just taken delivery of a pair of Salomon Fellraisers. Not run in them yet but they look and feel really good with a much lower heel than the Speedcross. I'm slowly coming round to the idea that Salomons are a better fit for me than inov8s having very narrow feet.
 AsleepOnBelay 04 Nov 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Yeah I will try Fellcross or Fellraiser next. I do really like the Speedcross and only done 200k in them, but the search for perfection never ends
 hokkyokusei 04 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Are the fellraisers a similar fit to the speed cross? I love the fit of my speed cross, but I think id like to try a lower heel.
 Si Withington 04 Nov 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Guess it's a personal thing, but I tried the Speedcross Pro and the Fellraiser today and found the latter to be less of a tight fit (in a good way). I'm a 9 in the Speedcross 2 and reckon an 8.5 in the Fellraiser, but ideally a 8.75!! The 6mm drop on the Fellraiser is extremely welcome though.
 hokkyokusei 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Si Withington:

Sounds like I'll have to try a pair on then, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...