UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: A Scottish Mountains Story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Oct 2015
Scottish winter, 3 kbThe winter season is fast approaching and the annual sharpening of tools is about to begin. Tonight's Friday Night video by Lukasz Warzecha of Polished Project features Sherpa Athletes Kenton Cool, Neil Gresham and Heather Geluk sampling the harsh environment of Scottish winter climbing.

Read more
 TobyA 30 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Is that Mega Route X they're on? A bit confused - they start off below the Buchaille but not sure where the walk up through the trees is (a different day and somewhere over in the east?) or then where they are climbing?
 LakesWinter 30 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Looks like the walk up to Beinn Udlaidh to me. Where's that deep gully at the end? I don't recognise that.
 bensilvestre 30 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Guessing they stayed in the hut beneath the buchaille, drove to the ben (hence the driving footage) walked up through the trees as per usual from the NF car park and climbed mega route x
 Jack Geldard 30 Oct 2015
In reply to bensilvestre:

that's what it looked like to me!
 TobyA 30 Oct 2015

So long since I've done the walk in to the Ben I think the standard walk up has changed since. My memories are mud and deciduous trees!
 Jamie Hageman 30 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Oh Toby, it's all changed now! Get yourself there, and take ya bike - the ride down after a long day is glorious
 TobyA 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

I think I'm going to need a new bike Jamie! My memories of the old path are that it wouldn't be an easy ride on cyclocross bike!
In reply to LakesWinter:

Yep, Udlaidh it is too, that big gully at the end, descending from Organ Pipe Wall.

That threaded sling looks familiar, also on Udlaidh.

Stuart
 sbc_10 31 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Good to see the superstars going out in gnarly condtions. I would have turned back on the drive in.
 Tricadam 31 Oct 2015
Nicely ironic juxtaposition of "To me, one of the special parts of Scottish climbing is the strong sense of tradition that you feel here" with a fist bump.
 bensilvestre 31 Oct 2015
In reply to UKC News:

A bike for the ride down ain't a bad idea, bet that'd be glorious!
 Paul249 01 Nov 2015
In reply to UKC News:

That was pretty kak to be honest.

All these slow-mo montages of the climbers smiling in their sponsored gear. Far more climbing action would have been preferable.

I know the climbers are just doing and saying what they're paid to, but we've become obsessed with over-analysing everything. Just get out and do it!!
 BruceM 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Paul249:

The world is a very different place now that everyone and his or her mother has cheap access to 4K cameras, "drones", powerful editors and effects...whatever the latest tech might be.

Nevertheless, I believe that everyone involved in these kinds of things *means* well, even if the message comes across wrong.

And maybe we should just think of it as watching folks learn their art. Then it doesn't seem so bad.
Removed User 02 Nov 2015

> A bike for the ride down ain't a bad idea, bet that'd be glorious!

You'd have to do it carefully, mind:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=627695
 Robert Durran 03 Nov 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

> Good to see the superstars going out in gnarly condtions. I would have turned back on the drive in.

Even if you were being handsomely remunerated and under contract?
 sbc_10 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

Fair point, maybe I was becoming all moist with the romanticism of them being "passionate" about things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...