UKC

Twisting gully/grooves SCNL (jan 10th)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Webster 11 Jan 2016
To the guys ahead of me on twisting gully (and the guys on the belay from twisiting grooves) I have several photos of you if you want them then I can email them to you or post on facebook for you to save.

in case anybody is thinking of the above routes atm and wants a conditions update, the crag is extremely white and well frozen, unfortunately there is no ice and very little usefull snow, just powder and lots of rime. the 'crux' pitch of twisting gully is good at the grade, but the next short pitch (described as an icy corner in guidebook) is an impassable chockstone which goes at about tech 6/7! much more build up is reqired for these routes to go at the stated grades!
 craig.coid 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Webster:
Thanks mate. We were on T' Grooves - but not certain we found the correct start. We think it was further to our R as we climbed ground harder than the grade, though it was pretty damn good. Were you the chap in the orange jacket or the Geordie climbing with his partner? Did you get over the choice-stone? We bailed with the other team and still got to the car in the dark!
Grateful if you could send any pics to craigcoid50atgmail.com (at obv being @ but changed to avoid spam crap)
Hope you have a good season.
Cheers
Craig
OP Webster 11 Jan 2016
In reply to craig.coid:

Hi, guy in the orange. sorry it was us that pointed you to the wrong start, though thats where it looked from the topo in my guide in those conditions...

yeh got over the chockstone fine with everyones beta chipped in! didnt need the rope after all but was in a rush so asked just incase. long day!
 craig.coid 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Webster:
Glad you got over; looked meaty for sure!
The route defo starts in an obvious corner system about 10-15m max left from gully entrance, and on approach the chockstone on p1 is obvious (we think). The line we climbed was good fun and worthy of a route name (maybe 4 VI or 5 ground), tho nothing obvious in route books etc. nice moves on it and pretty steep ground which pops out on the LHS of the p3 start on Twisting Gully.
Grateful for any pics. We wrote up the day on our blog;
http://www.simplyepicadventures.co.uk/2016/01/a-couple-of-lads-insane.html
Cheers
OP Webster 12 Jan 2016
In reply to craig.coid:

will email later tonight
OP Webster 12 Jan 2016
In reply to craig.coid:

sent, check your junkmail if you don't get them
 Smith42 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Webster:

Hi, might have been me doing the leading on Twisting Gully. Snow was useless over the top, it was all in the footwork.
Yes would be interested in any photos going.

Cheers.
OP Webster 12 Jan 2016
In reply to Smith42:

are you the guy that got up the chockstone? unfortunately I didn't get any photos of you (was to busy watching for the beta!), got a couple of your partner seconding along with the general busy belay ledge faff. can email them to you if you like?
 Smith42 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Webster:

Yes be nice to see them, or you can up load to UKc and add them to the route? Staying good for the weekend, have a good one if you get out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...