UKC

The scourge of cairns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockcat 04 Feb 2016
The scourge of cairns continues to blight the mountains. Why do people feel the need to build these unsightly piles of stones? How about leaving the hills as natural as possible?
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-35483823?SThisFB
 tony 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

> The scourge of cairns continues to blight the mountains. Why do people feel the need to build these unsightly piles of stones?

Unfortunately, some people think it's the right thing to do, or that it's a good thing to do. I remember watching Julia Bradbury adding her stone to a cairn saying she'd been told by her Dad that it was the thing to do when hill-walking.
 Run_Ross_Run 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

Just knock em down when u walk past.
Clauso 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

Cairns on mountains isn't the worst of it. Some idiot recently built loads of them on the A591, alongside Thirlmere, too.
 Shani 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> Cairns on mountains isn't the worst of it. Some idiot recently built loads of them on the A591, alongside Thirlmere, too.

Won't be long before some idiot puts a train station on a summit somewhere!
J1234 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

Building them gives me a double delight. The pleasure of the construction, and knowing that it will annoy many people with not enough to worry about. Very satisfying
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

You've opened a whole cairn of worms mentioning that.
 Babika 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

I don't build them but have occasionally been grateful for them while blundering around in a whiteout or fog....

And I quite like the Finger Stone on Snowdon
 Babika 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Shani:

> Won't be long before some idiot puts a train station on a summit somewhere!

Or, perish the thought, a café!
Clauso 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

Does anybody fancy helping me out with toppling this unsightly cairn?... As you can see, I've already made a start but it's a big job:

http://tinyurl.com/p79x4gk
 Trangia 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

You can't remove the cairn on top of Mt Snowdon otherwise it would lower it's height necessitating a reprint of all OS maps, and it would be doubtful if it could claim to be the highest mountain in England.
J1234 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Hang on let me finish building it first.
Clauso 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Reggie Perrin:

Of course, Scotland also suffers the scourge of unsightly bairns:

http://tinyurl.com/gnh49uz
In reply to Clauso:

I think you might be in trouble.
J1234 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Its hard to think of Norrie as a child.
Clauso 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Reggie Perrin:

I've always assumed that Norrie skipped childhood, and just turned up, one day, as a fully formed member of the Creagh Dhu... He probably pretty much went straight from the womb, to dangling off the side of the Ben.
Removed User 04 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

A functional tradition of cairns as waymarks existed long before anyone decided that walking around the hills for recreation might be good idea. Mind you this was when there was native woodland and before forestry and Landrover tracks to take the mountainbike up.

FWIW I went through a phase of kicking them over, but then I've had several phases of doing pointless shit.
 Babika 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> You can't remove the cairn on top of Mt Snowdon otherwise it would lower it's height necessitating a reprint of all OS maps, and it would be doubtful if it could claim to be the highest mountain in England.

Has the border moved?
lostcat 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Has the border moved?

Whoosh!!
 Trangia 05 Feb 2016
In reply to Babika:
Not yet, but those bloody cairns are changing the geography
Post edited at 15:16
 trish1968 05 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:
I hope you don't walk abroad they have signs and painted routes markers on the trees and rocks!!!!!
Post edited at 15:30
 summo 05 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

I would like to see the endless chains of massive cairns levelled, the stone would be better on the path to prevent erosion, where ironically they then pay to fly stone in to fill the washed out trenches.

I do think 1141 should have stayed as some kind historical landmark.
Lusk 05 Feb 2016
In reply to trish1968:

Whatever you do, don't mention paths!
llechwedd 06 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

Why is it a scourge? It's all very well for elitist mountaineer types to call the cairns unsightley. I find them comforting when I'm conquering the artic platto of the Glyders and anyway there are worse things to worry about on the mountains and you can't even see them in the mist or when it's dark. I mean, if you see one just look the other way FFS!!!!
and what are my kids expected to do if they want to build cairns like I've shown them and some nature boy tells them not to ??? Where do I get to geocache the used AAA batteries? If you think this one through insted of your own selfish ideas you'll see that cairns encourage people to go and have adventures and personal challenges. And where but the top of a cairn would I get to stand to fly my drone to film all the wilderness to show people??? . I'm doing a social service by building cairns , that's what it is Cairns keep you safe on the mounatins and not everyone can use a map and compasss so you can tell the mounatin rescue where to get you . Its by the cairn.
 Dave the Rave 06 Feb 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

A good rant. I was recently lambasted for building cairns as way markers for myself.
These were my cairns on my hill of that day. I'll continue to build where I want.
If there weren't supposed to be cairns on hills then why is there a hill called Cairnwell?
llechwedd 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

and anyway,why would God put all those stones near a baby cairn? everything has a purpose and the path is better when you move the rocks off it cos there's less likelihood of twisting your ankle cos your walking on the soil under where the rock used to be.

....and apparently, you're also doing your bit for nature by building them. A guy in Cotswolds told me about a website which says that 'the unique microclimate of the cairn interior helps build and sustain montane biodiversity. Paleoethnobotanical studies of major cairns indicate that early Goretex Man built cairns on the summits of Scafell Pike, Snowdon and Ben Nevis to receive votive offerings of urine. A cycle of cairn building and destruction ensued, each handling of the cairn rocks involving the transferral of a sticky nitrogen rich microfilm containing bacteria onto the hands of successive builders. These bacteria are crucial to the success of the Bananaskin Piss Fly, originally confined to just these three locations in the British isles. Their rapid spread across the major summits of the UK is in no small part due to the effects of transhumance and cairn building during the epoch of later species such as Chavus adventurus, notably the subspecies goprooakleyii'.
 deacondeacon 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Babika:

Hahaha!
 johnwright 06 Feb 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

That is brilliant, keep it up.
 DancingOnRock 06 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

Could always remove the sheep and let the trees all grow back. You'd struggle to get to the top of any of the mountains if any of it was natural.
 Trangia 06 Feb 2016
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Could always remove the sheep and let the trees all grow back. You'd struggle to get to the top of any of the mountains if any of it was natural.

As I found in Mauritius!! Struggled to reach the base, let alone climb them.
llechwedd 06 Feb 2016
In reply to johnwright:
The Private Eye classic 'Great Bores of Today' did a similar sort of thing much better. Here's an example

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vs7dLhrkTCU/ULnqzuZN-TI/AAAAAAAACcs/3IjF3WCJn8M/s...
 Brass Nipples 06 Feb 2016
In reply to rockcat:

Some idiot even started putting paths into the hills that follow the line of cairns. What were they thinking?

Clauso 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

It doesn't stop there: some drongo built a Cairns in Australia, and filled the place with saltwater croc's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...