UKC

black diamond super coulior harness, any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nicjbuk 29 Feb 2016
Has anyone got one of these and would you recommend it, for alpine use.
 tjin 29 Feb 2016
In reply to nicjbuk:

super? Isn't it just 'Coulior'?

Anyways, depends on how you use it. Gear loops have no stiffening, so things don't rack as nicely, buckle is fiddely, not comfortable when hanging in it (does any diaper style harness?) and there are lighter and smaller alternatives. But not expensive and can be found on sale.
OP nicjbuk 29 Feb 2016
In reply to tjin:

I guess compromise is the name of the game. With luck I wont be hanging in it, but I get the idea.
Tiso are doing it for £40 so I think its worth a go for an alpine trip.
cheers.
ps It is couloir, as you stated.
 StuDoig 29 Feb 2016
In reply to nicjbuk:

I've one I use for mountaineering type outings in winter and MR stuff. Good as it's light and compact. Not one to hang in all day, though I did hang for c.10mins in it and was only minorly uncomfortable. Since you'll likely have a couple of layers underneath it I'd say it'd be fine for most things alpine, unless your looking at hard alpine rock routes where you're expecting to hang / fall.

I don't tend to carry much gear for alpine / mountaineering type terrain so limited gear loops were fine and nappy style is good as not a faf getting it on over crampons.

The waist buckle is fiddly to release though! That said, not a bad thing that a harness you'll be wearing all day is fiddly to take off / pull the waist strap back through!

All that is assuming you're talking about BD couloir rather than DMM super couloir.....

Cheers,

Stuart

vscott 29 Feb 2016
In reply to nicjbuk:

Brilliant for ski touring/easy alpine stuff... basically anything involving not much gear and no/little hanging in harness (fine for an abseil or two).
OP nicjbuk 29 Feb 2016
In reply to nicjbuk:

cheers for the input people, ordered one now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...