UKC

Thievery Corporation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I stumbled across Saudade by Theivery Corporation on Spotify the other evening. Really chilled out music with a Bossa Nova feel to it. After further investigation I realise it's not quite the same as their usual stuff, though I also enjoyed that also.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for similar music. Doesn't have to be Bossa, just chilled out music - along the lines of Bonobo, Morcheeba, Massive Attack etc….
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Emancipator is really good. Definitely one of my favourite artists, give it a try.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
Nice one, thanks for that. I have checked out a couple or three tracks and really like it. I might get the "Safe in the Steep Cliffs" album as it seems appropriate, unless you have another recommendation.
Post edited at 17:31
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

No worries. Yeah safe is a good album to go for and is very appropriate, unless you climb ice then 'soon it will be cold enough' is the obvious choice . Send us a message if you find anything similar to emancipator, I've personally never found anything that sounds quite so natural. It reminds me of climbing a lot.
 pneame 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Portico Quartet - now with a personnel change and a completely different sound which I'm still assessing

I'd echo Emancipator.

I thought Saudade was immaculate.
 Jon Stewart 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Nicolas Jaar has gone a bit shit and pretentious, but from about 2008-2012 he was ace. Check out his live sets and mixes, here's one from Sonar a few years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=iHC63xUC7Hw&
 aln 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

John Hopkins?
 Jon Stewart 04 Mar 2016
In reply to aln:

> John Hopkins?

Have you seen these Max Cooper videos? Similar vibe to Jon Hopkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PMJihr4nY8&list=LLdWC6Y_AS7OpZ1k29yQPO...
 aln 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've only heard Opalescent (Opalescence?) by Hopkins and that sounds nothing like it. Was good though, I'll check out more of Cooper's stuff.
 Jon Stewart 04 Mar 2016
In reply to aln:

Here's a bit of Hopkins' more recent stuff, live:

youtube.com/watch?v=hHe0nckLiYU&
 iknowfear 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

gotan project is chill (excelent road trip music, imho)
 aln 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

That's a big change in sound from his nice but rather bland debut. I like that a lot. I wasn't going to bother checking out any more of his music but I think you just changed my mind.
 Digga 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

Definitely worth checking out the Ninja Tune label, likes of DJ Food, Fink, Mr Scruff and Coldcut. There is an excellent compilation album Xen Cuts if you can get hold of it.

There is also a French producer called Degihuegi who is making some lovely stuff along these lines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...