UKC

DEAL OF THE MONTH: Pinch Hold Mugs at Dick's Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 31 Mar 2016
Pinch Grip Mug, 4 kbTime to drink tea and to train, win-win! The Pinch Hold Mugs are the perfect amalgamation of training aid and drinking receptacle, thanks to the cleverly formed pinch grip, integrated into the mug itself. No poor quality screw on nonsense here, these are the real deal.

Read more
 GravitySucks 31 Mar 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

You're a day early, but nice try !
 Richard Hall 31 Mar 2016
In reply to GravitySucks:
> You're a day early, but nice try !

Very much NOT an April fool's joke!

Link here: http://www.dicksclimbing.com/products/pinch-hold-mug
Post edited at 09:47
 Pat-H 31 Mar 2016

I wonder how many burnt laps, and broken laptops this mug will lead to
 GravitySucks 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Richard Hall:

I'm sorry Rich, it had all the hallmarks of a classic, a mug that looks like it didn't quite make the grade in a five year olds pottery class, that can't actually hold hot liquids! The handle wouldn't stick so we'll call it a trainng aid, and coming in at a very 'reasonable' £23 quid !!!

It got to rank along side the spagetti harvest and flying penguins .... well done, same time next year ?
 Richard Hall 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Pat-H:

Thankfully we haven't yet had anyone demanding replacement laptops!
 ericinbristol 31 Mar 2016

Not an April Fool - on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ma3t-Pinch-Hold-Mug/dp/B00KJZPTB6
 Richard Hall 31 Mar 2016

The "no hot liquids" is because we can not vouch for the users pinch strength!

Judging by the number we have sold it seems people don't think the price is unreasonable. These are not made in China by the million, you can't really expect them to be a fiver.
 DannyC 31 Mar 2016

This is hilarious. Love that it's actually billed as a 'Deal of the month' despite these useless mugs costing £23! You've got to admire the pure cheek really.

It's up there with the Personalized Power Cord bracelet (just £39!) and Tom Randall's £8 toothbrush.

D.

Dell 31 Mar 2016

> The "no hot liquids" is because we can not vouch for the users pinch strength!

Or because you get greater friction on cold mugs?

I can't help thinking these would be irresistible if they were hewn from a solid block of granite.
 Richard Hall 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Dell:

> I can't help thinking these would be irresistible if they were hewn from a solid block of granite.

Ha, great idea!

Perhaps that will be the "Pinch Hold Mug 2017". Priced at only £489...
 slab_happy 31 Mar 2016
In reply to Pat-H:

Natural motivation to improve your pinch grip strength?

Not dissimilar to an idea some friends and I once discussed, of having a special mat with iron spikes on it to give you emergency motivation to top out on tough boulder problems ....

(Got to say, I actually like the look of the mugs. I might be tempted.)

I hope everyone realises that the 'dimpled mug' is gradually being reintroduced to pubs to slow the breakages.
 Pat-H 31 Mar 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

I'll admit that I'm tempted also, I think they look great.

Need to start off with the mug half full, and work my way up to a full mug though
 WaterMonkey 31 Mar 2016

Way too expensive for a mug! If you reduced the price by a third you'd probably sell more than three times as many.
I'd love one but not at that price.

> Judging by the number we have sold it seems people don't think the price is unreasonable. These are not made in China by the million, you can't really expect them to be a fiver.

How many have you sold, so that we can judge for ourselves?

I make a lot of pottery and something this simple and characterless is outrageous for £23, but if people are stupid enough to pay that much then more fool them. I would be embarassed to sell a hand made mug for more than £10. To sell it as a "training aid" is either brilliant or ridiculous, I can't tell which.

Lil_Pete 01 Apr 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I certainly wasn't being 100% serious with my description Frank, this is far from a genuine training aid before anyone starts worrying that we're offering such rubbish advice in the shop!

As for the numbers, well that's company confidential information Let's just say that I've packed and handled so many mugs now that I feel I have the pinch strength of a (small) god and reckon I could crush granite with my bare hands

Pete // Dick's Climbing
 BrendanO 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Frank, at a tenner a pop, you could be in business...fancy making some mugs? OBVIOUSLY A COMPLETELY UNRELATED DESIGN...

Or, perhaps you can do a deal with Dick's Climbing and supply them? Win win.
 Lil_Pete 05 Apr 2016

Back in stock after selling out just before the weekend typically!
Removed User 05 Apr 2016
In reply to Lil_Pete:
This device is ridiculous. It is perfectly possible to train on a normal everyday mug. See link of my method for undercut training: http://tinyurl.com/hw26jc5
Post edited at 14:23
 flaneur 05 Apr 2016

You should all be buying the BMC mug: https://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7254

Perfect for training a medium-sized tufa pinch, or use the handle if you are on an active rest day.
 deacondeacon 05 Apr 2016
In reply to flaneur:

Ive got that BMC mug, but have never used it. It's tiny.
I actually really like the look of those pinch mugs though.
Although at that price I'd want a set of four.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...