UKC

Abri Simond

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 19 May 2016

Does the opening of the Abri Simmond bivy coincide exactly with the closure of the Cosmiques (October 15th)? Or is access possible before this.....say from mid/late September?
Post edited at 14:13
OP davkeo 22 May 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Bump
 alexm198 22 May 2016
In reply to davkeo:

I *think* it does coincide exactly as it's basically the winter room for the Cosmiques.
lostcat 22 May 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Don't know I'm afraid but a quick bit of Googling suggests it doesn't officially exist anymore. I can't believe that they (whoever 'they'are) would want to provide a free alternative to the Cosmiques when it was open. Looking at the images it does look a bit of a shithole!
 Graham 22 May 2016
In reply to davkeo:

I think you are right about the cosmiques closing and the simond opening. Yes, it's not a brand-new hut, but I thought it was pretty awesome last october. Was absolutely full the nights i stayed in it.
 natetan 22 May 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Not been there for a few years but yea - there is not much info online - but I think its normally open over winter season.

Its pretty shitty but there are big foam beds you can use - often windows are broken and the place (only been in Jan) tends to be a colder option than a snow hole.

But otherwise its alright!
 a crap climber 22 May 2016
In reply to davkeo:
If you get desperate there is a small wooden shack perched precariously at the top of a cliff nearby that is free to use. It's about the size of a garden shed and has a few bunks with some manky foam mattresses and blankets. I stayed here a few years ago in the summer, it was cold and had no door but was slightly better than bivvying on the glacier. At the time I was unemployed and skint and keen not to pay for the prices cosmiques hut; I've been back to the area but just pay for the hut now.

Edit:
Forgot to say the hut has a name, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. There is a small plaque inside with it on, someone told me it's dedicated to a well known climber who died.
Post edited at 14:36
 Misha 22 May 2016
In reply to a crap climber:
That's the Perroux hut. There was s thread about it earlier this year. Seem to recall someone said the door was back on.
OP davkeo 22 May 2016
In reply to davkeo:

Thanks for the replys. Yah Iv stayed at the perroux hut in summer so was just looking at options if it happens to be full while I'm out there in October.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...