UKC

Anvil dragged up Goatfell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 09 Jun 2016
Some folks do sponsored walks for charity but this is something very different. Anyone who knows this rough, boulder strewn path. Not to mention the steep rocky upper section. You have to admire the determination to complete this task.

http://bit.ly/1XDIrG5
Gone for good 09 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

I wonder where the anvil is now?

The article states Scotland has the 3rd highest rate of type 1 diabetes in the world. That's a pretty shocking statistic. Anyone shed any light on why it's so high?

In reply to fmck:

> You have to admire the determination to complete this task.

Indeed.

But...

'A campaign page with more than 350 signatures has been created to support its permanent place there in the hope it will become "a legendary story and talking point at the highest point on the island" that will "add to tourism and folklore and mystery of a small Scottish island".'

Hmmmm...
OP fmck 09 Jun 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Interesting point. I don't think it will increase numbers up Goatfell but it may have a place. I wouldn't agree normally but I know Goatfell well and it is more a hill I run up rather than seek solitude and remoteness. There is a huge tourism factor of Goatfell already and Arran relies on tourism greatly.

I came back from Arran on Sunday camping with my young boys and met a guy from work who doesn't climb hills generally but does come over during the good weather to do Goatfell. Its only the hill I know he does and I think a lot of folks are the same.
 SenzuBean 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> The article states Scotland has the 3rd highest rate of type 1 diabetes in the world. That's a pretty shocking statistic. Anyone shed any light on why it's so high?

Here's some very recent research on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/05/opinion/sunday/educate-your-immune-system...

Might come as a shock to some - might be obvious to others.
In reply to fmck:

But where does it stop? They'll be putting a railway up a mountainside next. Oh...wait...doh!
OP fmck 09 Jun 2016

> But where does it stop? They'll be putting a railway up a mountainside next. Oh...wait...doh!

Was that dragged up for charity for a young 10 year old girl suffering a life time illness?

Tiz a small bit of iron compared.
In reply to fmck:

Errr.. I know it is and I was attempting to add some humour. Not a very good attempt admittedly but nevertheless.....
 streapadair 10 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

I took the hound up Gf from Corrie on May 6th and noticed an abandoned anvil by the path through the wood on the way down. Utterly baffled, until someone showed me the current issue of the Banner.

Having got an idea of the weight of the thing by lifting the horn end, I can't begin to comprehend the effort involved in dragging it up.
 Mark Bannan 10 Jun 2016
> I wonder where the anvil is now?

Here:

Anvil (Recess Start) (HVS 5a)

M

Good route, btw.
Post edited at 11:34
 pigeonjim 10 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

and how much damage was done to the path dragging up a heaving object?
OP fmck 10 Jun 2016
In reply to pigeonjim:

Well the pictures show him placing scaffold boards down to drag it across so I wouldn't imagine any damage.
abseil 10 Jun 2016

> I wonder where the anvil is now? ... Anyone shed any light on why it's so high?

They want to strike it while it's hot.
 streapadair 10 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

Correct, there were a couple of boards on the other side of the path. No noticeable damage on the path below.
jac the lassie 10 Jun 2016
In reply to
Not normal one for advocating leaving clutter on top of a hill but I did sign the petition to let the anvil be left.
His point was to raise awareness and leaving it there will do just that. Diabetes affects a hell of a lot of people in this country. What an effort to drag it up there in the first place. I followed it's progress up on fb and have huge admiration for that level of determination.

Simon Caldwell 10 Jun 2016
In reply to jac the lassie:

> His point was to raise awareness and leaving it there will do just that

How?
 sbc_10 10 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

He has made it possible for other hillwalkers to find themselves between a rock and a hard place.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> How?

Indeed. Without knowing the back story, most people will just see an anvil and ask 'WTF is an anvil doing here...?'
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Jun 2016

Presumably they'd put a plaque on it.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

It would have to be a pretty big plaque to describe diabetes to the handful of people who've never heard of it
 wintertree 10 Jun 2016

> It would have to be a pretty big plaque to describe diabetes to the handful of people who've never heard of it

I'm not sure the general understanding of type 1 diabetes is so good. Hell, the scientific understanding of the causes of type 1 diabetes is not so strong.
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Jun 2016

Yeah it would be.

I think just something saying he dragged it up here to support his daughter who has diabetes.
 Lucy Wallace 10 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

Incredible achievement by big Davy. I'd like to see the anvil near the start of the path not on the top. More people would see it and aside from the precedent, that much iron would have a hell of a bad environmental impact if left on the top.
jac the lassie 10 Jun 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

In this day and age? Most folk will see an anvil up there. Go wtf? Then immediately look at their phone and look up goatfell anvil. No plaques needed really.
Jim C 11 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:
Great effort, but do all anvils weigh 19 stones ?
( I would have gone for a lighter one)

( there was also a piano taken to the top of Ben Nevis , can't recall why)
Post edited at 01:04
 Nigel Coe 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
But what are you signing? The petition seems as ill thought out as the original act: 'I would like the anvil (18stone in weight) that my friend Davey is dragging to the highest point, Goatfell, on my island, the Isle of Arran on the west coast of Scotland.'
 nathan79 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

No, lighter ones are available. I recall an interview with him where he said he could have used a lighter one but it would lessen the scale of the challenge.
 Siward 11 Jun 2016
In reply to nathan79:

If anyone wants me to I'll carry it down next time I'm up? I've got a fairly big rucksack somewhere...
 Garbhanach 12 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck: I can see the headlines Hilwalker struck by lightning while standing next to large anvil at top of Goatfell.
They could wait till it snows then tie it to the two planks and set it off down the hill ;-P

Dax H 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Anvils come in all kinds of sizes, I have a jewelers one kicking around somewhere that you can fit in your pocket and a large one at work that takes 2 men to move and 4 men to lift.
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Is there a petition asking for it to be removed yet?
 Big Ger 13 Jun 2016

Start one!
 Mikkel 13 Jun 2016

Will pay 50 quid for it, if delivered to Adrossan
 skog 13 Jun 2016

It's a really impressive (and crazy) feat, done for a good cause.

I'd much rather it was brough back down now, and possibly left somewhere in the lower reaches of the path, but a petition seems the wrong way to do it.

If there was to be a fundraiser for a diabetes charity, tied to bringing it back down, I'd certainly make a donation.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jun 2016
In reply to skog:

Not saying I want another petition, I don't - there are far too many of them around. If someone creates one I won't sign it. But I'd rather the anvil was removed.
 WaterMonkey 13 Jun 2016

Why do you want it removed though? What actual harm is it doing being up there? How does it affect you personally seeing it up there?
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

In general I oppose the addition to any additional clutter to our hills. No, this anvil is doing little harm. So someone else decides to add a memorial cross. Then someone's ashes in an urn. A park bench. A small hut containing a cafe. Where do you stop and say the previous things were OK, but extra things aren't? My preference would be to make that cut-off point immediately after summit cairn.
Jim C 13 Jun 2016

> Is there a petition asking for it to be removed yet?

just build a cairn over it to hide it

Jim C 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

> Why do you want it removed though? What actual harm is it doing being up there? How does it affect you personally seeing it up there?

You could get piles sitting on it according to my granny.
 Lucy Wallace 13 Jun 2016

This is turning in to a bit of a thorny issue here on Arran. Most locals want it to stay, but most of them are not hill walkers. A few have voiced their objections, on environmental grounds mostly, and have been subjected to social media abuse which is sad in a small community. As a result I think that any others who want it moved are afraid to speak out. NTS obviously are not keen. Hopefully a solution will be found that will suit everyone but I doubt it (which is why I favour the anvil at the start of the path). Personally I hope that they don't get bullied in to leaving it up there.
OP fmck 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Snoweider:

I think the Anvil at the start of the path would make a lot of sense. Do the folks not entertain this idea?

Its a shame things could turn sour over something with such good intentions not to mention effort.
 Lucy Wallace 14 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

Yeah I'm not sure why the campaign have become so fixated with having it at the top. More people will see it at the bottom. I wonder if it is partly because it took so much effort to get it up there they thought of bringing it down again is daunting. I should say that big Davy has not publicly expressed an opinion either way as far as I'm aware. I know plenty of burly locals who have offered to help bring it down so hopefully will be resolved.
 Jamie B 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Snoweider:

Sounds like the Ben Nevis bench saga all over again, except that you can't really chop up an anvil..
 WaterMonkey 14 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

> I think the Anvil at the start of the path would make a lot of sense.

Why do you think that? I think if people have walked up and then they see it, it will help them understand the effort it would have required. It's also proof in years to come that it actually happened.

An anvil at the bottom doesn't really make any sense at all to me.
OP fmck 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

Its like snoweider has pointed out. A lot more people will see it and it could be easily maintained rather than staining iron coming off it on the summit. It is a very corrosive environment being next to the sea.

I wondered if they could have it outside the wine port at the bottom of the path for folks to try and lift and see for themselves. Probably not a good idea for folks coming out full o drink. Could be a few casualties involved!

Personally I think its an event to be preserved sensibly for the benefit of Arran and the cause he went to all that effort over. Snoweider is the person with the best info on the subject being an Arran resident, Arran mountain guide and a member of AMRT.
 buzby 14 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

I would agree, outside the wineport would be a great location, its the starting point for the most popular route up goatfell and would make an interesting addition to an area that already sees a lot of tourists who walk a little way up the hill but not all the way.
The addition of a plaque telling the story would be a nice point of interest for visitors.
 Jamie B 15 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

Message from NTS this morning:

"We were delighted that the challenge was completed in aid of such a great cause. The Trust team on Arran have been planning on how best to remove the anvil from Goatfell. We don't have any plans for it to stay there in the long term."

There is clearly however some opposition to this sentiment: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/big-daveys-anvil-challenge?state=sig
Clauso 15 Jun 2016
In reply to fmck:

If one was to train some swallows to fly the anvil up there, then how many swallows might be required?
 WaterMonkey 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

> Message from NTS this morning:

> "We were delighted that the challenge was completed in aid of such a great cause. The Trust team on Arran have been planning on how best to remove the anvil from Goatfell. We don't have any plans for it to stay there in the long term."

> There is clearly however some opposition to this sentiment: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/big-daveys-anvil-challenge?state=sig

I agree with the person who started the petition. It would make a great legend and certainly wouldn't start a precedent
 Tony the Blade 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> Great effort, but do all anvils weigh 19 stones ?

I thought it was Rosie that weighed in at 19 stone.
 Skyfall 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

That ain't exactly small.
 Tony the Blade 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> That ain't exactly small.

Nor pretty... apparently
 Jamie B 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

> I agree with the person who started the petition. It would make a great legend and certainly wouldn't start a precedent

I'm ambiguous - not that it's my decision anyway. Normally I'd strongly oppose any artificial clutter and addition to mountaintops, and have brought more than my share of assorted crap down from Ben Nevis. But this instance does seem a little different somehow, partly due to the (relative) resilience of the material and also the great difficulty of removal.

Having said all of that it was perhaps a little short-sighted of Davy to not involve the landowner at the planning stage or to fail to see that there might be environmental objections. Impossible not to salute his considerable effort though!
 Skyfall 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

He certainly gave it all he got...
OP fmck 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> He certainly gave it all he got...

I was talking to a guy at work earlier today who had been up Goatfell at the weekend. He tried to lift it and couldn't get it off the ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...