UKC

Ratho vs. ice factor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 purkle 30 Jun 2016
Deciding where to go this weekend.. been to ratho quite a bit recently (rainyrainshite) & thought bowt going to ice factor (for the plastic not the ice), noticed ice factor claims it has the biggest articulated overhang in the uk. Can anyone confirm this, is it bigger then than the comp wall at ratho? Cheers chickens
 Fraser 30 Jun 2016
In reply to purkle:

Their site says it's "The Ice Factor is also home to the UK’s largest (6m overhang) articulated overhanging rock wall."

I suppose it depends on how overhanging the non-articulated part below that is. When that wall was first opened, I paced out the base of the Ratho comp wall to it's outermost edge, when in lowered mode and from memory, it was well over 10m. I'd be surprised if the Ice Factor was overall as overhanging as this. I've not been there, but based on their website and images, I'd not be going any time soon. I'm sure it's nice enough, it's just not for me but there again I am a bit of a Ratho fan-boy!

HTH.
 Scott K 01 Jul 2016
In reply to purkle:
It's not very overhanging and the times I have been, the angle has never been changed. Apparently it is better since it reopened but you are probably better off at Ratho, Alien or TCA. There is the new climbing wall in Fort William though. Weather looks ok for sunday(fingers crossed)
 graeme jackson 01 Jul 2016
In reply to purkle:

depends where you live surely? if you're closer to rathole, go there and save the planet. climbing on one lump of plastic is pretty much the same as any other.
 Fraser 01 Jul 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:

> ... climbing on one lump of plastic is pretty much the same as any other.

I beg to differ. That's a bit like saying climbing one lump of rock is pretty much the same as any other. There are great indoor walls and rubbish ones.

Robert Durran 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> I beg to differ. That's a bit like saying climbing one lump of rock is pretty much the same as any other. There are great indoor walls and rubbish ones.

Absolutely. And a great indoor wall can be ruined by rubbish route setting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...