UKC

CTC changing to CyclingUK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 26 Jul 2016
Just wondering how many forum users are also members of the CTC, which recently underwent a similar re-brand to the BMC, and for much the same reasons.

As far as I can tell that hasn't had the same sort of negativity as the BMC, even though the organisations are pretty similar and it seems to have been done in a very similar way
 gethin_allen 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Possibly because all activities in the remit of the cycling touring club are cycling, be that track cycling, touring cycling, road cycling etc etc. so cycling UK covers the lot.
 Neil Williams 26 Jul 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

Agreed, because that is actually a better description of what they stand for than their old name. With the BMC, it is the precise opposite - the new name is a poor description.
 Sean Kelly 26 Jul 2016

"...on yer bike!"
KevinD 26 Jul 2016

Same as what the others said.
There were some objections to it I believe but overall most people agreed that CTC didnt really describe what they do anymore. They do a lot more of the general advocacy work since BC is mostly performance athlete orientated (and then only some areas) so "touring club" only covered a small part of what they are up to.
Plus as gethin_allen says cycling covers the lot. If they had named themselves recumbent UK it would have probably had a bit more push back.
In reply to Neil Williams:

Would you describe what you do as Climbing or Mountaineering ?
Also, I've seen more than one letter in the CTC mag complaining about the fact they support mountain biking and demanding they focus more on Cycle Touring

But my main point is that the change was introduced with a big launch and before members had chance to object. I presume it is subject to ratification at the next AGM but I've not been aware of a backlash - maybe I've not been looking hard enough
 Neil Williams 26 Jul 2016

I do climbing and hillwalking, mountaineering kind of covers both.
KevinD 26 Jul 2016

> Would you describe what you do as Climbing or Mountaineering ?

Depends on what I am up to.

> Also, I've seen more than one letter in the CTC mag complaining about the fact they support mountain biking and demanding they focus more on Cycle Touring

Thats more objecting to the focus of CTC changing. If the focus hadnt changed then the name change wouldnt. Since it did it does though.

Tallie 27 Jul 2016

I'm a member of both organisations - not really sure why as with 3 small children I rarely get climb or mountain bike anymore...

There was a poll of members after the event forced by a member of the council which I think came out roughly 65/ 35 in favour of the change.
 noteviljoe 01 Aug 2016

Just style wise "cyclingUK" seems better than "clycleUK" which would be a more exact equivalent to "climb Britain"
Removed User 01 Aug 2016

And there was me thinkin' CTC meant Cafe To Cafe.
 balmybaldwin 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

I'm sure there are many cafes that owe their continued existence to cyclists' penchant for cake
 SC 07 Aug 2016

the CTC actually gave more support to mountain biking than British Cycling, even going as far as supporting three of the UKs best freeride parks (Tidworth, Aston Hill and Ashton Hill).
The new name makes sense now that they support more than touring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...