UKC

Ever turned up at the crag without...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
...your rock boots? If so, what did you do?

Many years ago this resulted in me seconding African Killer Bee (VS 4c) in my work shoes. I tried in bare feet first but it was too painful.

Thankfully my other errors have been on the side of bringing the unnecessary, perhaps the ultimate of which was climbing in the Red River Gorge in Kentucky, complete with an old inch to the mile map of Snowdonia.

Anyone else wish to share?

T.
 Landy_Dom 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Yup. Turned up at Castle naze from Chester area without rock boots. Led a couple of severes in my hiking boots. Mostly OK but smears were scary.
 danm 05 Aug 2016

Got totally smashed the night before our Uni club left for my first trip to the Alps (also my first ever foreign holiday). Packed the minibus in a drunken haze, slept most of the way to the Ecrin and unpacked to find I'd left both my walking boots and alpine boots behind. Wore borrowed bendy KSB's for the first few routes until my crampons broke descending the Dome de Neige, hired some boots so I could do the Coolidge Couloir on Mt.Pelvoux, spent the rest of the time rock climbing in the valley!
 Dave Cant 05 Aug 2016
On Lundy with the correct number of rock boots, unfortunately both for left foot! Climbed round in circles till the pain got too much!!

GrahamD 05 Aug 2016

I have. I borrowed my partners shoes.
 MG 05 Aug 2016

Turned up with two left boots once.
Clauso 05 Aug 2016

I've rocked up at Bowfell Buttress and realised that my ropes were still in the tent. And I'm not one for soloing.
 spartacus 05 Aug 2016
I slogged up to Oxford and Cambridge buttress, which apparently is the longest approach in the lakes and found I had left my harness in the car. To stop partner getting to annoyed I cobbled together some tapes and tat which kept falling down all day.

In reply to everyone:

I'm so glad it isn't just me!

T.

Turned up at crag without a harness once. Somewhere there showed me how to make one out of a sling. So was pretty worthwhile forgetting it!
 Howard J 05 Aug 2016

I was a hundred miles up the M6 on my way to Scotland when I realised I'd left my boots behind. I needed a new pair anyway.
 SenzuBean 05 Aug 2016
Woke up on a Saturday morning in the tent, ready to head to the crag - early to get the tides right. Very hungry, just enough time for a quick bite... Except I had forgotten all of my food except for asaragus and coffee. Raw asparagus for breakfast it was.

Forgot my walking boots at home - 20 minutes to go back... I decided I would just do the walk in my street shoes. The walk was muddy, and I was alone. Just as well as I slipped in the mud at every opportunity. Eventually made it to the summit, and started descending. I slipped yet again, except this time I saw something would break my fall... A 50p-thick, squat and jagged base of a branch jutted out of a tree. My head lurched towards it inexorably, until the branch stabbed me in the neck. This is the end. I was going to die alone, choking on my own blood with a hole in my neck. An excruciating few seconds followed while I began to realize I was going to live. All I had was a nasty gash, full of bark and blood. I got down the hill, and as I was late - hurried straight to my date that evening. I had a good conversation starter at least...
Post edited at 20:42
Clauso 05 Aug 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

>... Raw asparagus for breakfast it was.

Did your wee smell?
 SenzuBean 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> >... Raw asparagus for breakfast it was.

> Did your wee smell?

Hahaha! Believe it or not, that’s why I bought the asparagus - to see if it would. I didn’t get time to cook it at home, so decided to bring it camping. Unfortunately, my wee didn’t smell any different to usual.
 digby 05 Aug 2016

> Ever turned at the crag without...

You turned up at the forum without an 'up'. Oh the irony!
 planetmarshall 05 Aug 2016

> Anyone else wish to share?

Geared up to traverse the Aonach Eagach a couple of Winters ago, to discover one crampon had no strap (I'd swapped the straps on my technical crampons for those on my mountaineering pair then subsequently forgotten about it).

Managed to rig a substitute with a 180cm sling and a snap gate.

Swirly 05 Aug 2016

Walked all the way to the start of a winter route to realise that all my top layers, apart from the base layer I was wearing, were in the car.

Twice this year I've travelled to go cycling and left my helmet at home, fortunately been able to borrow one each time.

Once made a conscious decision to leave the suncream behind only to find I'd carried a spare pair of rockshoes. 14 hours later aftre a cloudless day I wasn't very popular.
In reply to digby:

Lawks! How unwittingly appropriate.

T.
 FactorXXX 05 Aug 2016

Drove from South to North Wales and realised that I'd left my partner waiting at Sarn Services.
 Dave Ferguson 05 Aug 2016

abseiled into yellow wall at gogarth with a serious hangover, neither of us had a rope.
rock, paper, scissors for the prussick out, I lost
 Timmd 05 Aug 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> Hahaha! Believe it or not, that’s why I bought the asparagus - to see if it would. I didn’t get time to cook it at home, so decided to bring it camping. Unfortunately, my wee didn’t smell any different to usual.

I've read that all wee smells after eating it, but not everybody can smell it.
 broken spectre 05 Aug 2016

Yes, been guilty of this. Seconded a route in my steel toe capped boots at Trevor Rocks.
 Guy 05 Aug 2016

Had to chalk up my feet jus before the crux of no musketeers direct because I forgot my boots. At least I could carry on barefoot that day, it was more of a problem when I forgot my ski touring boots!!
 planetmarshall 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

> abseiled into yellow wall at gogarth... neither of us had a rope.

An impressive achievement by itself.

Andy4 05 Aug 2016

Turned up at Bosigran with a 30m "confidence rope"......instead of the twin ropes I had left on the garage floor.It made for an interesting day with improvised belays...
 Hooo 05 Aug 2016

I've ended up on Southern Sandstone with only my work shoes. All trains home were cancelled, but I could still get to the crag so went there instead.
I tied the rope round my waist and was pleased to get up a couple of 5b routes. There are plenty of 5cs there that I can't do in rock shoes.
 deepsoup 05 Aug 2016
I drove for about 3 hours to the coast for a day's sea kayaking recently, unloaded the boat from the roof of my van and carried it down the slipway, faffed about for a while sorting kit out and then realised I'd forgotten to bring a paddle. Senility beckons.
 EuanM 06 Aug 2016

Drove for 3.5hrs to the Lochnager car park with the intention of doing Eagle Ridge.

Opened the boot to realise I'd left my rucksack with the rope, harness and gear at home.

It was nicely packed and sitting in the hall when we got back 4hrs later!

Yep, fortunately I was at Stanage so just drove to Outside and bought some more
 Andy Nisbet 06 Aug 2016

Arrived in Glen Shiel with 6 hillwalking clients, sun shining, neve down to the road and no boots.

The joys of strap-on crampons. Adjusted then to my trainers, tied them on very tightly and had a great day. The clients with big heavy winter boots were quite jealous.
 Graham Hoey 06 Aug 2016

Slogged up to Douglas Boulder on The Ben in Winter - rope left behind (fortunately in the CIC hut, but it's still a slog back up)

Abbed into Red Wall at Gogarth forgetting to take a lead rope - prussiking back out on the single 11mm watching it bounce up and down on the edge of a block is something I'd rather not repeat.

Abbed into Yellow Wall at Gogarth without quickdraws - ended up doing Dogs of Creeping Moon to get out in a cam-friendly manner.

The last two events with over 60 years of climbing experience between the two of us!
abseil 06 Aug 2016

I've left my courage / nerve at home more than once. Apparently.

I don't mind when I realize, and don't climb. I DO mind when someone else points this out (thanks, X and XYZ!)
 walts4 06 Aug 2016

Walked into the grand Capucin with all the bivi gear for a weekend granite hit to discover two left rock boots.

It was the second time that year I have to admit!
My excuse, entirely plausible is that I possess multiple pairs of the same rock boots, needless to say I now clip the pairs together with a krab.

Years ago climbed concrete chimney in wellington's after forgetting both my rock boots & the harness, real fun day out.

Arrived at Lawrencefield in flipflops and realised I had forgotten rockboots. Led the two easy cracks on gingerbread slab bare foot...

...called it a day after that
 Sleepy_trucker 06 Aug 2016
Years ago I was shooting for the British junior squad and went to Germany for an international match, only to find I'd left my bolt at home (rendering my rifle little more than an expensive pea shooter!). I borrowed a rifle from a German coach but I wasn't very popular! Didn't shoot well either....

On the same trip, I lost my passport too! Fortunately it turned up before our return to Britain.

Ban1 06 Aug 2016

After a 80min uphill walk in I realised I forgot my shoes. Quickly realised that I would be the belay bitch that day I taped my feet like a Chinese girl which worked really well but I just couldn't take the pain of jamming cracks
lostcat 06 Aug 2016
Abseiled into Yellow Wall to do The Moon only to find we only had one 9mm rope. Climbed out via The Savage.

Drove down to Pembroke from North Wales. Walked into Huntsmans Leap to find I'd forgotten my harness. Fashioned one out of a couple of slings and managed to lead an E4 whose name escapes right now. It was Witch Hunt.
Post edited at 13:48
 grommet 06 Aug 2016

My other half got up at silly o clock one dark winter morning, drove to the Lakes, parked up, did the long walk in, got to the bottom of Central Gully and realised he was without his crampons.
He still did the route.
 Aly 06 Aug 2016

Having finally managed to track down a partner to do a new route on Lochnagar, I walked all the way in to find I'd brought two left rock boots with me. My partner's feet were considerably bigger than mine, but thankfully the worst of the smears were for the left foot so I wore his right shoe with two thick walking socks underneath and Apophis (E7 6b) was born. Not an experience I'd particularly like to repeat.
 sheelba 06 Aug 2016

I managed to forge my waterproof on a Easter hill-walking/climbing trip to Scotland. I felt I looked rather dashing though in my girlfriends fitted cheap around town one.

My climbing partner managed to simultaneously forget the guidebook and delete the photos of the routes descriptions for Stac Pollaidh on his camera leaving us with just one very unclear topo photo taken from the car park. Thankfully another party turned up with a guide in hand.
 Dave Cundy 06 Aug 2016

I was about to ab in at St Govans when my mate called up sheepishly say "could i bring his rope cos he'd forgotten it." That made me realise what i'd also forgotten B-)

I led a pull-through trip in Titan and out through Peak Cavern. I really shouldn't have left the maps in my tackle bag at a pitch head.... Luckily, we were half an hour from the exit and we just needed to follow the polish and the draft.

Climbing, caving, cycling.... they wouldn't be half so much fun if we didn't make the occasional cock-up |-O
 UKB Shark 06 Aug 2016

Called in at Raven Tor on the way back from a client meeting in a suit but forgot my climbing trousers. No one there and so started bouldering Weedkiller in my underpants. Then other climbers arrived but carried on. I even got a reluctant spot.
 jim jones 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Mostro:

> I was about to ab in at St Govans when my mate called up sheepishly say "could i bring his rope cos he'd forgotten it." That made me realise what i'd also forgotten B-)

It must be something about St Govans, I did the same thing twice on the same day!

The same partner however didn't pack any quick draws for Left Wall and I had to make do with the eight I'd brought.
Once forgot rock shoes and so climbed in inov8s.

Once one of my climbing partners forgot his harness. He wanted to lead first and as we were in a three he borrowed my harness as I was initially just watching. The ****** though would not give me it back for the rest of the day as he said he needed it more than I did. Lucky I couldn't belay him or who know what I may have done!

Once went hillwalking without lunch which was left in fridge. My emergency rations in the bottom of sac that hasn't seen light of day for years came in useful.

After once of most things, lesson learnt to be extra careful not to repeat , except for forgetting suncream and midge repellent many times!!
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Aug 2016

I walked up to a hut on Cotopaxi, then realised I didn't have goggles or sunglasses.

nowadays I would be more creative and/or gung-go, but back then it was a total stopper.
 springfall2008 06 Aug 2016

My first time outdoor climbing I left my helmet at home, and we were going to Tintern Quarry! We climbed without helmets so the belayer had one.

I forgot my belay device the other week, but my partner has a spare. I since carry a spare in my trad gear bag
 Tom Valentine 06 Aug 2016

Once arrived at Bamford with only one boot in sac.
Managed to second Undercut Crack with boot and trainer so I guess footwork wasn't all that important.
Removed User 06 Aug 2016

Three years ago I led a group of four up a 30 min walk in (very steep'ish incline) to the start of a VF. Despite me working through the checklist once I'd kitted them up I failed to notice that I'd not put any VF kits on the harnesses.

The result was that I ended up running back to the minibus, collecting the kits, and then running back up the (what felt like an even steeper) walk in. Then had to completed a fairly hard VF. Slept well that night.

First time I ever missed anything or forgot something. Never again.
 Ianto Bach 07 Aug 2016

Winter trip to North Wales over 20 years ago, water ice conditions were fantastic - left ice screws at home in South Wales! A bit of bold climbing in Cwm Idwal ensued...

First time in the slate quarries in North Wales - no harnesses, used the improvised sling harness trick others have mentioned...

Partner forgot his helmet on a trip to the Dolomites, after a rockfall that seemed like the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan (I know this is a ridiculous exaggeration) a trip to the gear shop was needed to bolt the stable door...

Must be more in over 30 years of climbing, all part of the (type 2) fun I suppose...
 nniff 08 Aug 2016

I'm beginning to think I've got form for this:

All the way to Glen Brittle to find that we had three rock shoes. Leader got the shoes, second wore the trainers.

Mount Kenya for three days - I forgot the food. Four of us survived on a scrounged loaf of bread contaminated with parafin and half a jar of marmalade.

Ropes after sea cliff abseils

Adirondacks without a sleeping bag - a borrowed blanket was inadequate

This winter - drove from Roy Bridge to Cairngorm to find that my boots were still in the hut. Hired some more, and crampons to fit, in Aviemore. Walked to the northern corries, where we could barely stand let alone climb. Walked back down, took the boots back, had lunch.

Pembroke without a chalk bag on a stinking hot day - filling pockets with chalk helped a bit.
In reply to everyone:

Thanks for sharing your tales, I hope they are now as amusing for you in retrospect as they have been for me reading them. Makes mine look like small beer...

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...