UKC

Mono-pods...anybody use them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 Aug 2016
I have a tripod which does not get used very often but it does the job very well.

I have never used a mono-pod and would very much appreciate people's views on their uses and abilities compared to setting up and using a tripod.

Cheers muchly
 richprideaux 08 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Stills or video?

Because of thelack of a ball head they can only be used in landscape ratio really. They are useful but I've only use mine on a handful of locations, mainly event stuff where I get fed up of holding the dslr for short, repetitive shots and clips.

In short, they're ok but rather limited in application. If I care about camera shake due to slow shutter speed I'll either push the ISO or just bring a tripod.
OP The Lemming 08 Aug 2016
In reply to richprideaux:

> Stills or video?

I was thinking for both, or is a monopod best suited for stills?
 richprideaux 08 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd say video, particularly if hoiking a light and external microphone around on it too. I have used it for wandering around trade shows etc interviewing folk. I still have to hold it steady but at least I've removed one plane of movement.
 Adam Long 08 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't own one, but I often use a tripod as one, or as a bipod, when using long lenses. Helps maintain approximate framing whilst allowing tracking or recomposing, reduces camera shake, saves your arms getting tired. Ideally use with collar on the lens so portrait orientation is just as easy.
 PanzerHanzler 08 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I've mine for panning shots at a few cycling events - seems to work very for this. Haven't used it anything else though.
 Bootrock 08 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I did have one, but I just didn't feel like I could benefit from it. So I sold it to a mate, he loves it and uses at car shows he goes to.
I just use my tripod with a single leg down if needs be. Which is rarely. Could be handy to just take the weight off a long lens. But as said above, either tripod or crank the ISO.
You can get hiking pole versions, might be worth a look?
In reply to The Lemming:
I use a trekking pole version of a monopod that I bought from 7dayshop. I added a lightweight ballhead & quick release plate from Speedgraphic and it is really useful. It forms a tripod with your legs and is great for slow shutter speeds.
In reply to The Lemming:
I have a Brasher walking pole that doubles as a mono-Poland keep a light ball head in my pocket. It is very useful in Winter conditions when you can jam it into the snow.
 The Potato 31 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
I tend to use a bi-pod (i.e. the wife) if I need something and there isnt a convenient immobile object around.
Ive got a mini tripod that I take with me to balance on walls, rocks etc, Ive also got a large tripod that rarely gets any use other than for long exposure shots, many cameras these days have such good ISO ranges when coupled with a good lens with low Fstop means I dont need a pod.
Ive tried a monopod but found it awkward - unless you can plant it firmly in to soft ground it sways around a fair bit, which will help reduce hand tremor (useful for long heavy lenses?) but thats about it!

Im not a pro photographer btw but I do like to experiment a lot.

edit - I just read the previous replies, all my stuff is covered in there already so, read the above!
Post edited at 09:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...