UKC

FEATURE: Climbing Days - The Life and Climbs of Dorothy Pilley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 08 Sep 2016
Ivor & Dorothea (c. mid 1920s), 4 kbAuthor Dan Richards recently published a book about retracing the steps of his great-great aunt - the pioneer of women's climbing and mountaineering, Dorothy Pilley.

Following in the hand-and-footholds of his great-great aunt, Dan's latest book Climbing Days - fittingly reviving the title of Dorothy's memoir - traces her adventures with a keen and analytical eye, with a heavy dose of humour and self-deprecation to boot. An inexperienced climber, Dan threw himself in at the deep end, embarking on a climbing apprenticeship and visiting Dorothy's old haunts. Natalie Berry finds out more about Dan's project and his remarkable relative.

Read more
 john irving 08 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:
I enjoyed the book this summer, and this is a great wee interview. I don't think Dan climbed the North Ridge though, he was dragged up a different route by a very quick guide.

I did wonder whether some quiet revisiting of Cambridge roofs was going to be described, perhaps that would be too much.
Dan_Zep 28 Sep 2016
In reply to john irving:

Hello John,

You're quite right — I went up the Normal/Easy Route, first with my father, Tim, then with the Swiss Guide Jean-Noël Bovier.
Tim climbed the Ferpècle Ridge in 1982.
Neither of us have been up the North Arête/Face since it's terrifying and leagues beyond us — as it's beyond most but he very best climbers, I'm sure. A quite amazing feat to have been achieved in 1928.

Very glad you enjoyed the book!

Best Wishes,

Dan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...