UKC

Gorillas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 20 Oct 2016
Why do they beat theirs chests?
 toad 20 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

ook?
OP FesteringSore 20 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

Eh?
Lusk 20 Oct 2016

Have you been sniffing driveway cleaner?

No idea. Perhaps it has something to do with Brexit?
 wercat 20 Oct 2016
Don't know, but I've only seen them in a zoo once, a family group with we humans gawping at them a if they deserved no dignity or privacy. The dominant male looked quite depressed and was hiding his eyes from view. Deeply disturbing. I can understand the need to keep them in captivity to preserve the species but do we have to be allowed to view them as exhibits?
Post edited at 18:20
 Greasy Prusiks 20 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

I met the creator once, nice bloke does all his own snowflakes.

Conspiratorial wink.
 ring ouzel 20 Oct 2016

It's a dominance display.
 ring ouzel 20 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

That was an orang utan you numpty!! You of all people should know the difference!! :-P
 blackcat 20 Oct 2016
In reply to FesteringSore: They are basically saying im top dog (ape) let me know if you dont f@@king think so.

aln 20 Oct 2016

It's a demand for large quantities of undiluted Ribena.
 toad 21 Oct 2016
In reply to ring ouzel:
I thought it was a monkey... (Hurriedly checks under bed for large orange gentleman bearing a grudge and a tyre iron)
 Reach>Talent 21 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:
Gibbon the circumstances that may have been unwise.
 EddInaBox 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Reach>Talent:

... baboon, tish!
 mack 21 Oct 2016
In reply to toad:

Fool, please stay away from the library until further notice..
 mark20 21 Oct 2016

When I was younger and didn't know any better, I beat my chest whilst watching the silverbacks at Jersey Zoo. The biggest one grabbed a clump of grass/mud and flinged it out of the enclosure straight at me. I had to dive out of the way and a large group of people were covered in the debris.
 JEF 21 Oct 2016
In reply to mark20:

> When I was younger and didn't know any better, I beat my chest whilst watching the silverbacks at Jersey Zoo. The biggest one grabbed a clump of grass/mud and flinged it out of the enclosure straight at me. I had to dive out of the way and a large group of people were covered in the debris.

Years ago I went on a scout trip to a now defunct zoo. As a group of boys we angered(?) a chimp by jeering monkey noises at him. He responded by chucking things out of his enclosure. The scout leader did an impressive dive as he went for the catch; unfortunately for him it was a turd and he made the catch!
I'm glad that zoo got closed and I hope the chimp was allowed to live his life in peace elsewhere.
Lusk 21 Oct 2016
In reply to aln:

> It's a demand for large quantities of undiluted Ribena.

I would have thought it was more of a display of frustration about where his drum kit was.
 aln 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Lusk:

Like. I'm going to assume we got each other's joke...
Lusk 21 Oct 2016
In reply to aln:

I'm f*cked if I know what the connection is between gorillas and ribena is.
But isn't it Nicola Sturgeon demanding a second referendum?
 mack 21 Oct 2016
In reply to Lusk:

The only thing I can think of is 'The Grape Ape'. An old cartoon. Probably not =)
 aln 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> I'm f*cked if I know what the connection is between gorillas and ribena is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-zoo-gorilla-escape-ku...

Kevster 22 Oct 2016

Its territorial/ intimidating fighting talk.
It works too, I saw gorillas in Uganda. The silver back on first acquaintance beat his chest quite violently and charged us. I didn't argue with him, but was intimidated and respected the fact this was his territory. He didnt need the charge to make his point.
After we made friends, he laid on his back, rolled the chap back and ate the cheese. All quite delicately and slowly.
Wild gorillas it seems, like their captive counterparts, have no dignity either.

I also have seen an "ook". He wasn't in a library, or riding on a giant turtle/ elephant combo as far as I'm aware, but did have bright green turds that whistle past you on their descent. I suggest caution when in a jungle and looking up to strange noises.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...