UKC

TMB - recommendations and suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm thinking of doing the lightweight's Tour du Mont Blanc next year, having our overnight bags transported for us.

Since we can't take the usual time to complete the circuit, we will have to skip some sections. So I'm looking for suggestions for 'must do' bits, 'meh' bits, and any other highlights or suggestions re route issues, accommodation, food, etc. though we're likely to pay someone to sort that out for us...

I've already read http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=8621 which gives a short guide.

Thanks
 Rob Exile Ward 21 Oct 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

You can catch a bus from La Fouly to Champex, which some guided parties skip. I suppose you could also catch a bus from Chapieux up the valley, and also from Lac Combal to Courmayeur... how much do you want to skip?
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I'd like suggestions as to which bits to skip.
 robert-hutton 22 Oct 2016

Its all good so difficult to suggest areas to skip, the only part which I would suggest would be the same as post two, La Fouly to Champex but it only takes about 1 1/2 hours to complete so while you are waiting for the bus you could have done it and its quite nice to have a flat stage, if you are short of time I would start at an earlier stage from Les Houches and finish at Courmayeur and get the bus back through the tunnel.
I personally would bother with your overnight bags being transported as you don't really need anything apart from one change of clothes, just leave a bag at the start refuge or hotel and do the walk and pick up your traveling clothes, I have done it with a very small rucksack.

If you have looked at the Kev Raynolds book some of the stages are very short and can be combined as required as if nicer to be out on the hill then making small talk to strangers and if you follow the book you meet the same people every day

The refuges are mostly good but some are an experience (Croix de Bonhomme) the food is mostly very good and good value.
 Alyson 22 Oct 2016

> I've already read http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=8621 which gives a short guide.

Well there I am, in the first picture in that article, carrying WAY more than I actually needed! I started in Champex and went clockwise, and I'd struggle to name any part to skip. Les Houches to gîte la flegere was probably my worst day - lots of ascent and ended at my least favourite hut of the circuit (mouse poo on the bed and pillow!)

If I were to repeat it I'd want to do every step but carry a lot less. Rifugio Bonatti is splendid, Elisabeta wasn't great but I liked Croix du Bonhomme. The only downside to the last one was no hot water for a shower. I suppose the natural way to skip a section would be to use the tunnel from Courmayeur, but you'd miss some lovely scenery!
Removed User 22 Oct 2016
In reply to robert-hutton:

I doubt that the Ultra Trail runners could do that stage in 1 1/2 hours. More like 4 1/2.
Personally I prefer the route going clockwise as I think the views are better and you can finish on Le Brevent with (hopefully) superb views of Mont Blanc.
Depending on how many days you have.
Must do sections are -
- Day 1. Planpraz (using lift) to Col de Montet via Lac Blanc, perhaps staying in Tre le Champs.
- Day 2. Aiguillette des Posets, Col de Balme to stay in Auberge at col de la Forclaz.
- Day 3. Fenetre d'Arpette ending in Champex Lac. Personally I would then take a bus to La Fouly and stay in the Auberge.
- Day 4. La Fouly to Bonatti Refuge via chemin de berger, La Peule & Grand col Ferret.

It is easy to sort out your own accommodation but as this is a really popular trek, do it well in advance.
On most days there is a refuge/snack on the route and most of the places that you will stay can provide snacks/sandwiches for you so you will not need to carry several days-worth of food.
Using a professional guide/company can alleviate most of these issues but it is easy to do it yourself and you are unlikely to get lost.

If I can help you more then just let me know.

Mike
- Day 5. Bonatti Ref to Courmayeur via pas entre deux Sauts. Tete de la Tranche, Ref Bertone. It is nice to have a day off in Courmayeur to check out the gelati and also the new Skyway Telecabine.
- Day 6. Dependant on how many days you have, either, walk from Courmayeur through the ski station, col Checrouit and stay in the ref E. Soldini or if really fit take the high route direct to Col de la Seigne and stay in the ref des Mottets. Otherwise take the bus up Val Veny to La Vissaile and walk over Col de la Seigne to eithe Le Chapieux or ref des Mottets.
- Day 7. If staying in the ref Mottets go over the Col de Fours with a detour to the Tete Nord de Fours. Go down to Col de Croix de Bonhomme, col de Bonhomme and down to Les Contamine. If you have descended to Le Chapieux go over the Croix de Bonhomme and down to Les Contamine.
- Day 8. TMB variente via Chalet de Truc, Chalets de Miage (great bilberry tarts!), Col de Tricots to Bellevue and a knee wrecking descent to Les Houches.
- Day 9. Les Houches to Chamonix via Le Brevent. You should be fit enough by now to deal with this ascent via the ref de Bel Lachat.

If you are staying in refuges and gites you do not need to have any support. I did my fourth TMB of the year in September with just a 30l sac and no support. It is possible to was/dry your shirts, socks and undies as you go or you can just go smelly like most of the TMBrs.
If you carry a 50/60L sac I can guarantee that you will not use all of your clothes/kit.
 Rob Exile Ward 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Ah hah! I have a secret - Refuge de Lac Combal is an alternative to Elisabeta and not so far away (we made it there from Bonhomme) and it is the dog's doodahs - the friendliest and most comfortable stop on the entire trip! (Good food too.)

To the OP - I wouldn't skip a metre. It's all good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...