UKC

Rock "fall" Alpine Ridge, Fairy Cave Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mayaculpa 22 Oct 2016
Did it fall or was it pushed ?
Looks like someone has trundled a large block off. Close to the end of the summit ridge (arete end)
Been up and down it many times recently, never regarded any of the top blocks with suspicion even by FCQ standards.

Anyone else seen it, know anything ?
In reply to Mayaculpa:

I was there on Thursday about 3.00pm and the block was in place. I didn't climb the ridge so can't be sure if there was any instability in the area. There have been several small rockfalls in the quarry recently most of which have not affected climbs (or at least not those that get repeated).

Ian Butterworth
OP Mayaculpa 22 Oct 2016
In reply to Ian Butterworth:

It was Thursday we noticed it and looked for the pieces at the base.
The original would have been large microwave size.
Link to picture of relative location:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mayaculpa/29864065654/in/dateposted-public/
In reply to Mayaculpa:

Sorry I was assuming you meant the huge boulder. Hopefully the block that has fallen will not affect the route too much. Thanks for the clarification and photo
 leland stamper 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Mayaculpa:

Looks like it could have a big effect on Winter ascents.
 Luke90 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Mayaculpa:

This thread might be relevant...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=651928
 BusyLizzie 23 Oct 2016
In reply to Luke90:

No, not the same at all. The rockfall I heard was in the Shattercave area.

I did notice that the Alpine Ridge has changed shape and taht the scramble down is easier as a result!

L
In reply to Mayaculpa: Mark Davies trundled the block which was very loose and potentially dangerous. Considering that the number of people who ascend and descend the ridge it is good to have any very loose rock cleared. It probably isn't a good idea to look too closely at most of the rock on the ridge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...