UKC

Why scramble, what motivates you ???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Scrambling Matt 03 Dec 2016

I am looking into mountaineering motivation as a dissertation topic and am delving into scrambling as a sub-category, many researchers have refuted that it is an 'activity' in its own right so I am attempting to find out how participants perceive the practice through the reasons for participating. I am ML trained and have lead a number of uni groups (amongst others) on a number of scrambles, I study Extreme Sports Management at Solent uni in Southampton.
 Hyphin 03 Dec 2016
In reply to Scrambling Matt:

Hmmm......ML, scrambles, "planned use of the rope"; your post could be so easily hijacked.
 marsbar 03 Dec 2016

This part of the forum is for beginners.
Scrambling matt 03 Dec 2016
In reply to marsbar:

I know, but from the drop down menu it was one of two options that were available the other being even less appropriate, but thanks
 WildCamper 03 Dec 2016

Because its there

Seriously though, it has most of the standard appeals of rock climbing except without the need to carry masses of gear, it can be a good taster of what proper technical climbing is about but without the need for technical skill ie building belays etc
 Lucy Wallace 03 Dec 2016

My take on scrambling is that its quite a broad "sub category" varying from the sort of "walk whilst putting hands on rock" that could be described as ML territory to something that is very serious, and potentially requiring mountaineering equipment. I do both, and I'd say my primary reason for each is enjoying the feeling of free movement over exposed rock without the faff of pitched climbing. The more technical grade III type scrambling has the added appeal of being a big mountain adventure, with good judgement needed, and the sense of achievement that brings- akin to the feeling I get from a day of trad climbing.
Because it is so much more fun to scramble (from a "climber's" perspective) than just walk (slog, sweat, huff & puff, tortuous 'approach walk' without any climbing reward) up a path/trail. Usually done when no climbing partner is available or weather is a little dodgy for climbing. A grey area exists for me between scrambling & easy soloing. Likewise with Via Ferrata in the Dolomites - protected scrambles to me. I have occasionally taken walking friends scrambling when they have expressed a desire to try something a little more challenging/extreme.
Post edited at 18:37
 Dogwatch 04 Dec 2016
Motivation: movement over rock, in spectacular situations, without the need for a climbing partner. Also, upward progress feels easier when fuelled by a certain amount of adrenalin.

Lemony 04 Dec 2016

Because it's raining.
 maxsmith 04 Dec 2016

I enjoy the speed of movement (roped or unroped) when compared to pitched climbing. I also much prefer being in the mountains rather than at a roadside crag.
 GrahamD 04 Dec 2016

Does it matter whether it's categorised or not ? Sometimes it's just fun
 Brass Nipples 04 Dec 2016
It's a relaxing easy day on the hill but packed with interest. You often end up exploring sides of mountain rarely visited and get the place to yourself. Ghyll scrambling, now there's a proper adventure and day out.
Post edited at 18:15
 Trangia 04 Dec 2016

To borrow Mallory's response to a similar question

"Because it's there"
 John Kelly 04 Dec 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> It's a relaxing easy day on the hill

Or alternatively - steep, committing, wet, slippy, cold, exposed, etc etc

JIMBO 04 Dec 2016

Makes a walk less boring...
John Trenwith 10 Dec 2016
In reply to GrahamD:
It doesn't matter a great deal to me, but to some it does and I absolutely love it, hence the research........... but, what is 'just fun' about it

GrahamD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to John Trenwith:

I find it fun sometimes to be moving unencumbered either by kit or by any preconceived notion of a particular route: just take a line on the spur of the moment because it looks interesting.
 C Witter 12 Dec 2016

Your supervisor will ask you: "who are these 'many researchers'?" I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that scrambling is pretty well established in the UK as an aspect of hiking and mountaineering. And recently it's had quite a burst of promotion from the BMC, as well as some climbing mags. It is interesting how tied to place, geography/geology and tradition it is, though - something that struck me when doing a via ferrata route in the Dolomites, and marveling at all the ironwork on what I thought of as fairly steady scrambling terrain. Any thoughts on whether scrambling, considered as a more or less distinct category of activity, is international?

For me, it's about going different places, with different people at a different pace. E.g. my partner gets a bit frustrated when rock climbing: because it's sometimes hard, involves a lot of waiting, and she gets cold a lot easier than me. But, she really enjoys adding a bit of scrambling into a hike, so we've found a happy compromise. Otherwise, if it's something that looks spectacular - e.g. I really wanted to go scramble up Pike O'Stickle, because from a distance it looked great; currently quite keen for some big ridges in Scotland.
 rocksol 12 Dec 2016

All seasons it's good fun and can completely transform a boring walk with a bit of spice e.g. When we were young cavers we used to scramble up Matterhorn ridge in Winnats as a way back to our hut at Rowter farm. Brilliant fun in the dark after a few pints and nobody ever got hurt!! I've been scrambling ever since sometimes stepping into what I would term solo climbing but it's all good
 loose overhang 13 Dec 2016

I've done lots of rock climbing and walking and quite a lot of alpine climbs, but find that scrambling is the most enjoyable activity of all. That's mostly because of the freedom of movement and speed. I prefer to go ropeless, but on occasion I take along a 30m skinny rope for tricky passages or short abs. Equipment can also include ice-axes and crampons if necessary. Keeping the weight carried as low as possible helps keep the pleasure level high.

The thrills can be quite intense. Soloing loose, low graded rock can be very attention getting. Often the way to go is the easiest, so route finding can be a good part of the challenge. All the time keeping alert to the fact that we have to get down the thing too.

I used to climb on short crags not far from the road, but I find being up in the mountains a much more enjoyable activity. We get out no matter the weather (within reason) and have had some of the best days when we return to the car cold, wet and tired - but having had the place to ourselves. Then on the way home maybe stop and buy a greasy bbq chicken to tear apart for a late-night feast and a nice beer to wash it down. How can that be beaten?

Here's a few examples of scrambles I did this year:

http://bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=583

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-stuart/150353

youtube.com/watch?v=8hcibHmxy1Q&

http://www.summitpost.org/grindstone-mountain/655834

This last one we did with rain then ice pellets blasting our faces as we scrambled to the summit. Excellent fun.

Now, I came here today to ask about scrambling or mountaineering in New Zealand, so off I go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...