UKC

Christmas jumpers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 11 Dec 2016
Christmas jumpers are s**nowdays

There was a time when there was certain novelty factor involved in that your mam or nana actually knitted it from a pattern but not now, they are are 6.99 in ASDA (up to XXXL) and the only thing they mean these days is that you once had seven quid spare. you may as well be wearing a sports direct man yoo shirt
anyone care to take me on??
In reply to wilkie14c:
If you cut it up to make a novelty festive chalk bag cover is that better (or worse)?

I agree though. I can remember there being secret knitting bags that no-one was allowed to look into in the run up to Christmas because although you knew someone (everyone) was getting something knitted the article / pattern was a secret surprise.
Post edited at 15:55
 skog 11 Dec 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

I like a good jumper, but the Christmas jumper is a tradition I simply don't understand. Can anyone explain it to me?

I mean, I can easily look badly dressed -without- putting any effort in, why would I want to go to extra trouble and expense to achieve this?
 FactorXXX 11 Dec 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

I've made my own.
It's got a lovely nativity scene on the front with the message: 'Jesus Loves You'.
On the back, it's got: 'But Everyone Else Thinks That You're A C**T!'.
 alan moore 11 Dec 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Thanks.
I laughed out loud.
My six year old says" what you laughing at Dad?".....
In reply to wilkie14c:

Ah! the smell of wet wool!(no cracks about welly boots and sheep, Please! ) Takes me back to my early(pre-fleece ) climbing days - the pubs positively reeked of it after a wet/snowy day on the hill.
 john spence 11 Dec 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Make me one !!!! Please.
 Pete Pozman 12 Dec 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

The craze for novelty Xmas jumpers started, I suggest, with a pash for Nordic sweaters following all the detective noir series coming out of Sweden, Denmark etc.
I picked up a fantastic Norwegian gansey last summer (made out of real wool not pure acrylic!) but so far it's been too globally warm for me to wear it. I'm looking forward to turning a few heads down the folk club eventually, but they'll have to turn the heating off.
 GrahamD 12 Dec 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> The craze for novelty Xmas jumpers started, I suggest, with a pash for Nordic sweaters following all the detective noir series coming out of Sweden, Denmark etc.

I blame Bridget Jones.
 jethro kiernan 12 Dec 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

All part of the throwaway crap that is part of Christmas nowadays, I think it stemmed from the 70s where Grans and Nans knitted jumpers for grand kids but said kids were too fashion conscious hence the uncool aspect. As mentioned probably given a boost by scandi noir and Bridget Jones
Still it's a shame that something like a hand made woollen jumper made by a family member (who probably wore theirs through their teen years and were grateful for it) has morphed into mass produced acrylic landfill fodder that's meant to raise a brief cynical smile at the office party
 JohnnyW 12 Dec 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

Completely agree. There was a certain panache in wearing your pressie down the pub on Xmas day lunch, but the naff-ness always was, and should be, unintentional.
Was down South in Manchester at the weekend, and it was chokka with drunken folks sporting daft mass-produced things that totally miss the point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...